Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-09-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
Member
 
City: los alamos
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 17
Hello all

I've been reading posts for a while and really like the forum.

I'm living in NM, will retire 2 to 4 years. We would like to spend some portion of the year in the PNW. The live-aboard style is really appealing. We both love the PNW, exploring, fishing and water.

Our dream is to have a boat and explore the islands and southern Alaska and everything in-between. We are thinking of a mid 30s' size boat. Really like the trawler styles. They seem safe and comfortable. I plan on learning as much as I can.

I'm drinking from a fire hose right now. So much information to sort through. I've had many questions answered just looking through the posts. I'll have tons more questions. I Hope you take kindly to the newbie.

-nicky
__________________
Advertisement

degidio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:58 PM   #2
Guru
 
City: Tuckerton, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 937
Welcome to the board. Since your looking at trawlers you came to the right place. I recently converted from a Mainship 40 sedan bridge to a Gulfstar 36 Mark II trawler. By changing boat types we should be able to cruise and enjoy ourselves more with the trawler. Our other boat was very expensive to run at cruising speed and it wasn't great at handling at hull speed.
Good luck and again, welcome.
Bill
__________________

Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:18 PM   #3
Guru
 
bligh's Avatar
 
City: Santa Cruz, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by degidio View Post
I've been reading posts for a while and really like the forum.

I'm living in NM, will retire 2 to 4 years. We would like to spend some portion of the year in the PNW. The live-aboard style is really appealing. We both love the PNW, exploring, fishing and water.

Our dream is to have a boat and explore the islands and southern Alaska and everything in-between. We are thinking of a mid 30s' size boat. Really like the trawler styles. They seem safe and comfortable. I plan on learning as much as I can.

I'm drinking from a fire hose right now. So much information to sort through. I've had many questions answered just looking through the posts. I'll have tons more questions. I Hope you take kindly to the newbie.

-nicky
Welcome. I joined TF about a year ago. Now I am a trawler owner. Still learning a lot though. The members here are very knowledgeable and helpful and have been a great resource for me. Good luck with your endeavors.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:40 PM   #4
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,996
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:16 AM   #5
Guru
 
HopCar's Avatar


 
City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,505
Welcome aboard! A word of advise, don't ask about anchors or guns. The discussion will never end and there is no right answer. In fact avoid using either the A word or the G word entirely.

For example, if you ask "What should I use to anchor my dinghy davit to the deck?"
You'll get an answer something like this; " I use a Rocna 25 kg with 400 feet of G4 3/8" chain. Only a fool would use anything else!" The next post would be something like; "You idiot! He wants to anchor his davit! Only a total idiot would use a Rocna to anchor a davit! My grandfather used a CQR and if it was good enough for him, it's good enough for me!"

If you say something like "I had to gun the throttle to avoid a collision", you can imagine where that would go.

Oh yeah, watch out for RT Firefly, he's smart but a little nuts. His Welcome posts always sound nice and normal, but he's just sucking you in.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,796
Welcome degidio ,

Have you done any boating before? Where, how long, what type of boats?
__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:57 AM   #7
Guru
 
LaBomba's Avatar
 
City: Beaverton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Airswift
Vessel Model: Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 818
Welcome Nicky, where is NM? Enjoy the forum!
__________________
Allan & Ann
Airswift
LaBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:01 AM   #8
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,996
Greetings,
Mr. LaB. New Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:41 AM   #9
Member
 
City: los alamos
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 17
Thanks for the welcome.

I have owned a few boats. Used mainly for water toys and ski's when my kids were young, then to fish. All of my boating done on lakes. I started out with a 16' bayliner, way under powered for the toys, then had a 21' monteray and now a suntracker pontoon.

Last year we rented a 36′ Grand Banks, and we were hooked. Dreaming about spending much more time on boats ever since.

Much to learn.
degidio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:23 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Victor_Chat's Avatar
 
City: Galveston
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sea Catsle
Vessel Model: 1971 Hatteras 58 Yacht Fish
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 146
Welcome aboard
Victor_Chat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #11
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
Welcome Aboard!

Try to stay out of trouble - things can get a bit rowdy at times!!

There is just about not any question you can ask that will not be answered... in one way, or several ways, and maybe just too many other ways too... on TF. You seem to mention in your op... "search" feature is already your friend; that is good!

Just remember to take all answers with grain (or two/three) of salt. There's usually several right ways and there's often numerous wrong ways to address/satisfy the needs/requirements relating to boats, boating, and marine life in general. Then, there are the plentiful “working” ways that are posted here by many of us with decades of personal experience regarding how we solved issues. It could be said that TF is pleasure boating’s sum culmination of Rube Goldberg-isms and MacGyver-isms all rolled into one forum.

End result here on TF is a great bunch of info at the ready. TF is the mobile-input, constantly morphing Wikipedia of pleasure boating answers and learning experiences for all us personal pleasure boat owners/users... newbies, midbies, and oldbies alike!

Happy Boat Learning Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:18 AM   #12
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Welcome aboard! A word of advise, don't ask about anchors or guns. The discussion will never end and there is no right answer. In fact avoid using either the A word or the G word entirely.

For example, if you ask "What should I use to anchor my dinghy davit to the deck?"
You'll get an answer something like this; " I use a Rocna 25 kg with 400 feet of G4 3/8" chain. Only a fool would use anything else!" The next post would be something like; "You idiot! He wants to anchor his davit! Only a total idiot would use a Rocna to anchor a davit! My grandfather used a CQR and if it was good enough for him, it's good enough for me!"

If you say something like "I had to gun the throttle to avoid a collision", you can imagine where that would go.

Oh yeah, watch out for RT Firefly, he's smart but a little nuts. His Welcome posts always sound nice and normal, but he's just sucking you in.

Youre telling me that you use a Rocna?? ... Pfft LOLOLOL


Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #13
Guru
 
HopCar's Avatar


 
City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,505
Hendo, don't be a bad boy and get it started. You Aussies are a real trouble makers.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:32 PM   #14
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Hendo, don't be a bad boy and get it started. You Aussies are a real trouble makers.

Hahaha couldn't help myself hahaha


Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:42 AM   #15
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by degidio View Post
..Last year we rented a 36′ Grand Banks, and we were hooked. .
Just using the word "hooked" can start another anchor thread.
Welcome Aboard.
__________________

__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012