Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XBoater

Hi All,

As life progressed, we moved on from our 32 ft Carver in 2006. Life in a land yacht is similar as we had a few bouts of 2ftitis. We finally landed in a 42 ft Winnebago that we have spend the majority of the year touring the countryside.

Well the bug to return to the water has always been there and now we are talking about trying a 40 ft trawler after our current west coast trip ends in 2021.

We've always liked PDQs and have attended a few events to gather info on the current fleet available. Lately we have also spent time researching Great Harbour, both GH37 and N37. I guess as we age the "Need for Speed" has be replaced by enjoying the trip as much as the destination.

Anyway, we are looking forward to researching and questioning current cruisers over the next year to see if we indeed make the plunge into the cruising lifestyle.

R.

Welcome to the Forum!
Let us know if we can (try) to answer any questions you may have. If your current trip is going to end on the west coast, I would suggest buying your boat there, and cruising the Puget Sound, San Juan, Canadian Gulf Islands, and north all the way to SE Alaska. Probably some of the best cruising grounds in the World with lots to see and do. It would take years to "see it all" if that is even practical or possible.

Hello,

Thanks for the advice, we definitely want to look east to see the west coast. Sorry I guess I know the plan, but didn't describe it too well. Our West Coast trip will end in September of 2021 as we are big Disney fanatics and will be at WDW (Orlando) for the 50th anniversary 10/1/21. (Hopefully a couple of summers in Alaska) The plan is to look for a boat on the east coast in 2021. Prepare the boat for the Great Loop in 2022. But if what we want is on the other coast, the plans may change.

Hello,

Thanks for the advice, we definitely want to look east to see the west coast. Sorry I guess I know the plan, but didn't describe it too well. Our West Coast trip will end in September of 2021 as we are big Disney fanatics and will be at WDW (Orlando) for the 50th anniversary 10/1/21. (Hopefully a couple of summers in Alaska) The plan is to look for a boat on the east coast in 2021. Prepare the boat for the Great Loop in 2022. But if what we want is on the other coast, the plans may change.

Wifey B: If you find a boat you really like anywhere on water, then perhaps that is the place to start your cruise. It could be anywhere on either coast. It might be the one convenient time for that area. We bought a boat in Washington and did the PNW and Alaska before coming home through the Panama Canal. We'd never been to any of those areas and it was the most incredible trip. If we found a boat on the Great Lakes, then that would be where we'd start the Loop. :D

Richard
Lots of great cruising in the NE. Much different than the PNW but worth spending a lot more time than passing through on the loop.
Good luck with the rest of your land cruise and search for a boat.

Thanks,

All great thoughts. We are planning to be flexible enough to purchase what we want, where ever it is. The starting location is less important than the timing, don't want to spend years waiting for the right boat in a specific place. We want to cruise from the Bras D'or Lake to the Cook Inlet and out to St. Lucia and down though the Panama Canal.

Pretty ambitious huh.

I have to agree Don, the NE is a great area to cruise. We spent 15 years here and have spent time at almost every port from Bar Harbor to NYC as well as dingy trips up most navigable rivers. Some of the best trips were 4th of July from NYC to Portland ME. The best was watching the USS Constitution under full sail from Boston to Marblehead and the return trip the next day. Something that will never happen again. We always kept our fingers crossed that the America's Cup Race would return to Newport RI, but alas I don't think that will ever happen again either.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom