Greetings from Scurvy Dan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scurvy_Dan

Vessel Name
Bruadar
Vessel Make
Formosa 51
Hello Everyone,

My family and I currently sail on the Chesapeake Bay. We are not liveaboards (yet) but do spend most of our summers on the water. We own a 1979 Formosa 51. Yes it is a sailboat and not a trawler so please forgive me :hide:.. If you are not familiar with this boat let me simply say that she is a 26 ton heavy shoal draft ketch and when we are not offshore or in heavy winds she is basically a trawler with masts. Formosa built trawlers as well as sailboats and because of our boats weight we have a classic trawler engine - the 120hp Ford Lehman. Our boat was built in Taiwan, sailed across the Pacific and through the Panama Canal. She then spent most of her life in the Caribbean and finally ended up in Florida. That is where we found her eight years ago and began the process of slowly restoring her. We have sailed most of the East Coast from Florida to Massachusetts and have made many friends along the way. I addition to her Lehman 120 she is also equipped with a Fischer Panda Mini 8 Generator.

Swan Creek 2.jpg

A little about the Captain / Chief Engineer. I recently retired from the US Army. For the last 16 years of my 25 year career I was a Motor Sergeant and a Chief Warrant Officer. I have worked on everything from M1 Abrams Tanks down to one cylinder 2kw generators. In addition to my mechanical background I hold an Amateur Radio License and have a pretty good understanding of electronics and electrical systems. I take a lot of pride in maintaining our boat and I hope to pass along my knowledge to friends we meet along the way.

I am glad to have found this forum. I am looking forward to exchanging information with everyone about boating and our love of being on the water.

Fair Winds,

Captain Dan

Welcome aboard!

Nice trawler with sticks! ?

Cap'n Dan you say. Well welcome and as your friend Forest said, TF is like a box of chocolates.

What is the fuel capacity of your vessel?

Well . . . ordinarily we do not welcome sailors on here! (Just joking -- an awful lot of us were sailors before we decided to move to trawlers). Your experience and background will be valuable, in any case, so welcome to the Forum and hope to hear more from you.

Also always glad to have another ham with us. My call is AF4WM.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Dan,
Please tread lightly with regards to Anchors and Guns! This is a tough crowd on those 2 subjects.
Thank you for your service ( retired USN myself ) and look forward to your input on this forum.

Welcome Capt Dan.

As part of full disclosure, you must show us your anchor. :popcorn:

Welcome! Spent many a year cruising the Chesapeake in sailboats...Hope to get back there next summer. Kept a Bristol 35.5 in Rock Hall for many years.
Beautiful boat!

Thanks for the advice on anchors and guns....

Our boat has two 75 gallon diesel tanks. We are about to install a third 80 gallon tank to increase our fuel capacity. I installed our Fischer Panda Genset last year and it has definitely increased our fuel usage. The third tank will help with this problem....

My call-sign is KB3LVB. We have a SSB on the boat and one at the house as well. I like to listen in on the MMSN on 14.300 during the winter months to help offset cabin fever. ;)

Hoping not to start up a debate about anchors but you did ask....

IMG_2913[1].jpg

We also carry a 60 lb CQR.

BTW - the picture of our boat was taken while on the hook in Swan Creek (Rock Hall).

Aarrgghh,

Captain Dan

BTW - the picture of our boat was taken while on the hook in Swan Creek (Rock Hall).

Aarrgghh,

Captain Dan

Kept our Bristol in Swan creek for many years!

My call-sign is KB3LVB. We have a SSB on the boat and one at the house as well. I like to listen in on the MMSN on 14.300 during the winter months to help offset cabin fever. ;)

The Maritime Mobile net was a great comfort for us when we were cruising in Central America. Never needed any assistance, thank goodness, but it was very comforting to have it there, and sometimes check in just to hear a voice that was not speaking Spanish. :)

Welcome aboard, Scurv. I've seen a Formosa 51 inside and out. Gorgeous vessel.

Thanks for the advice on anchors and guns....

Our boat has two 75 gallon diesel tanks. We are about to install a third 80 gallon tank to increase our fuel capacity. I installed our Fischer Panda Genset last year and it has definitely increased our fuel usage. The third tank will help with this problem....

Hoping not to start up a debate about anchors but you did ask....

View attachment 43865

Aarrgghh,

Captain Dan

Noooooooo!

Not the CQR!

Wait, where's the famous CQR swivel? ?

Maybe that's a delta/plow?

Your membership is now under review btw because your anchor is suspect and must be discussed for at least 10 pages. ?

(Great name BTW. If you put an 01 behind it it becomes even cooler)

Last edited:
Welcome, I tell my sailing friends that the only difference between us and them is that they motor only 80% of the time.

I think we can let him in. Even if the anchor is too small it looks cool and the kid is cute. If he's got one of those M1 tanks, it's hard to say his gun is too small.

Scurvy, you'll have to apply for a special permit to keep the CQR. One of the moderators will send you the application. Don't worry, it's routine.

Welcome aboard. Thanks for your service to our country.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom