Greetings from the Rideau.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rab

Vessel Name
Swan
Vessel Make
Avro-Richardson-Custom 36'
Hello all,

I'm new to the Trawler Forum, but confess I have lurked here off and on reading conversations. Some great know-how here. Thank you.

I'm new to boat ownership, but not to boating. I've owned my cruiser for two years now, but grew up around boats and have been involved, off and on, my entire life. Fan of both power and sail -- once crewed on a square-rig ship (navigator).

I'm currently based out of Rideau Ferry, on the Big Rideau Lake, which is on the Rideau Canal system. It's a great cruising area. From here I have access to the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence River, and pretty much anywhere from there. I hope to make use of that access...

Plan to do the Loop, but not sure when.

Hope to read and participate in some discussion and stories (fishy or otherwise). :)

Fair winds and a following sea,
Rab

Last edited:
Avro Richardson ... a unique boat built like an aluminum aircraft. I have known two AR 46's and found them to be very well built with very interesting construction techniques.

Avro Richardson ... a unique boat built like an aluminum aircraft. I have known two AR 46's and found them to be very well built with very interesting construction techniques.

The build quality of the Avro hull is remarkable. Avro Aircraft of Canada put their craftsmen to work building boat hulls of various sizes for a couple years in the early 60s after the cancellation of the Avro Arrow fighter-interceptor. (Worth reading the history -- the Arrow was an amazing aircraft, cancelled due to shameful politics.)

The hull is a traditional carvel planked, 36 foot hull -- except that it's planks of 3/16" aircraft aluminum. And assembled with all the meticulous care of the Avro Aircraft builders. At first glance, most folks assume it's a wooden boat.

The hulls were sent to the Richardson Boat Works in Tonawanda for superstructure and fitting, in the traditional 1962 'cabin cruiser' style. Mine is a trawler-ish custom reno on the original hull. Hull, helm, and engines are all that remain of the original. And the V-berth. :)

Fair winds,
Rab

If I lived on Big Rideau lake I'd never bother with the rest of the loop. I was up there in 2000. It was spectacular. You truly live in paradise.

If I lived on Big Rideau lake I'd never bother with the rest of the loop. I was up there in 2000. It was spectacular. You truly live in paradise.

I agree!!!
We live & boat primarily in NY Finger Lakes but LOVE the Canadian canals. We've travelled the Rideau 8-10 times (quit counting) and Big Rideau is our favorite destination.
I used to think the big loop was a goal for the bucket list but find the more we explore the Great Lakes and adjoining waterways & canals the less inclined I am to do the big loop.

Welcome and happy cruising.

Don
'08 MS 34HT
"Bacchus"

Back
Top Bottom