Greetings from new member

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chico

We're happy to be part of the forum and should have joined a long time ago. We have a 36 ft Albin ET and have found that there are few of them around.

Our home base is Annapolis, Md. and we are recent converts from sail boat to trawler. I would like to know if anyone has some very pragmatic thoughts about the seaworthiness of this Albin making the crossing from Florida to the Bahamas. We've been to the Abacos on a 43-foot Irwin ketch, so I know how rough the Gulf Stream can be. I'm concerned about the windage.

As said, pick your window. Especially coming back if you have a schedule.

Our buddy boat on our first stream crossing to The Abacos was an Albin 36 - Happy II, based out of Cocoa Beach. He had no issues, even when it got a bit snotty for an hour or so not long after we left. Once over there the two of them had a blast.

Plan on crossing at first light after June 1 if you can. Winds tend to shift to the south at that time of the year and are lightest in the early morning. Look to do West Palm to West End for your first crossing. It's only ~56 miles and a relatively short hop.

Try and get a buddy boat for your first time across as well.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. As noted: Pick your window.
window-licker.gif

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

It's all about the weather window. All kinds of 32 to 36 trawlers make the crossing. Just be patient.

Ted

As said, pick your window. Especially coming back if you have a schedule.

Our buddy boat on our first stream crossing to The Abacos was an Albin 36 - Happy II, based out of Cocoa Beach. He had no issues, even when it got a bit snotty for an hour or so not long after we left. Once over there the two of them had a blast.

Plan on crossing at first light after June 1 if you can. Winds tend to shift to the south at that time of the year and are lightest in the early morning. Look to do West Palm to West End for your first crossing. It's only ~56 miles and a relatively short hop.

Try and get a buddy boat for your first time across as well.
I'm trying to track down Happy II or whatever its name is now. Any thoughts?

I'm trying to track down Happy II or whatever its name is now. Any thoughts?

Sent you an email last night.

I am out on the boat today but will try and see if I have old emails from him tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom