Greetings from Kasilof Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DNT99611

New member having just found this site. I am thinking about buying/building a trawler and this look like a good place to learn things. I have had severial 32-36 foot boats over the years but they were working gillnet boats and NOT made for comfort. I am at the point in life I like my comforts:flowers: and thus the interest in trawlers.
Thanks, David

Hi David, welcome to the forum! Lots of good information here. Best of luck on your boat quest.

Ted

Welcome David,
The forum certainly has lots of information and vastly differing opinions. In the end you have to sort it all out and find what works for you. Good luck in your quest and again, welcome to the forum.

Welcome David

Some great knowledge here on the TF they helped me a great deal before I bought and after I bought

Make a list of some of the things you would like in a boat

Welcome aboard! Some good build threads here.... which should drive you to buy instead of build :)

Dude...Kasilof is definitely "up" there!

Welcome aboard :thumb:

Welcome to TF David

We boat out of Seward, and there are several members from Alaska who can help out with any Alaska specific questions or issues.

Yeah...but us former, part time Alaska guys would still love to know how the red run has been!!!! :D

Oh yeah forgot...boat not fishing forum...;)

Well the Red run has been both a little slow and late. Fish are here but nothing to brag about.
Thanks to all for the welcome. So far I have enjoyed my reading on this site. Not of that keyboard king stuff you see other places.
As for the building part??? I may be crazy but I am sure tempted. I have a lot of the parts laying around and a place to do it indoors. We will see if I still have the energy, not as young as I was the last time I built a boat.
David

Welcome to TF David

We boat out of Seward, and there are several members from Alaska who can help out with any Alaska specific questions or issues.

Welcome David. I agree with Kevin...:thumb:

From the lower end of the State,(1200 miles?) Welcome David. Great number of hulls exist that equal the sea quality required for your part of the State. As a pleasure boater, what is the scope of your anticipated cruising range within your part of the State
Al-Ketchikan

From the lower end of the State,(1200 miles?) Welcome David. Great number of hulls exist that equal the sea quality required for your part of the State. As a pleasure boater, what is the scope of your anticipated cruising range within your part of the State
Al-Ketchikan
Al, I would like to cruise from Homer/Seward to Kodiak, Prince William Sound and at some point to south-east Alaska.
I have an older bare hull that is full displacement. I am told it was built by Little Hoquiam but I am not totaly sure. It is 45 foot overall, 13 foot beam, and the molded in waterline light is 4,5 feet. Keel to sheer is about 11 foot. Looking online it looks like one of their 42 foot models. I have had the hull for a long time but been too busy to work on it. Now that I am getting close to retirement I am starting to think it is a good time.
David

Welcome aboard! Some good build threads here.... which should drive you to buy instead of build :)

Dimer I know that would be the smart thing to do but I am not too smart at times:D I think I have a sickness because I really enjoy boat building. This would be number 6 for me if I do it.
David

David, 6 boats! I have replaced a few decks and vowed never to do it again lol. You should be a valuable contributor to the forum!
Cheers
Blue

David, good to see another Alaskan here. Looking forward to seeing your new boat when you bring it to Sitka.

Good choice of hull design. There are several Little Hoquiam trollers in the Southeast area. Good boats everyone that I am aware. One question. are there wood items of construction that have been encapsulated in glass? I ask that because one of the Puget Sound commercial builders of this class of hulls do have late issues, late defined as hulls near 20 years old. Mainly in the deck beams aft and lazaret (sp) . Just can not be specific as to the builder.
Al

Good choice of hull design. There are several Little Hoquiam trollers in the Southeast area. Good boats everyone that I am aware. One question. are there wood items of construction that have been encapsulated in glass? I ask that because one of the Puget Sound commercial builders of this class of hulls do have late issues, late defined as hulls near 20 years old. Mainly in the deck beams aft and lazaret (sp) . Just can not be specific as to the builder.
Al
The hull is solid glass. The stringers look like they are wood but they have enough good glass over them that I do not think it would matter if the wood rotted away. I will look at that closely before calling them good. As this is just a bare hull the bulkheads were plywood with glass on each side. I was not sealed on the top and I am sure I will end up replacing them. That is ok as I do not want to have the existing bulkheads define the boats layout. I have plenty of time as I am still in the planning stages of this.
David

Yep, that is the builder I believe, the other in mind was Sunnfjord which I believe do not encapsulate wood in their construction, needless to say, both are great sea boats.
You are in a good position with access and awareness. Good Show. Keep the forum posted on progress.
Al

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom