Old 06-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #1

City: Whangarei
Vessel Name: Whakata
Vessel Model: Steel 35ft custom
Greetings All

I was looking for a semi displacement boat that was affordable to run, after looking at many boats on the market i found a project boat that I could finish to my needs.
I bought a Hull, with super structure and a good old Ford 180TD motor in it last year in beginning of October. The motor was not connected at all, no shaft, plumbing or electrical. a very basic galley( really just a skinny worktop) and saloon was in place. After 2 weeks of pondering I started stage 1.
The aim was to get her on the water functional and safe, pretty inside is stage 2.
After installing a new shaft using a composite tube and a Kiwi seal, I got the drive train fitted using a velvet drive universal. Then the exhaust.
Next was the motor wiring, house wiring, plumbing etc etc etc.
Ater a very steep learning curve and lots of work we launched on the 14 Feb 2013. We christened her Whakata (meaning to rest or take a break in Maori )
During the first 10days on the water I fixed all the minor hiccups and have been enjoying her just about every weekend and any other days that I can steal away from work.
What I have leaned mostly is that every boat is a labour of love, the time and money put in can never be quantified to the value of the boat.

I would like to thank all the people on this forum as I used it extensively for researching during the build but never had the time to join and contribute
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20130310_143012.jpg  
KiwiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Welcome, KiwiExplorer! That's a good looking boat. As you know from lurking, alot of us do better with pictures than words, so please keep those pictures coming! We love to watch the fruits of other's labors. Must be a terrific feeling of accomplishment to have brought the boat so far along in such a short time.

Is the aft cockpit open or is there a transom hidden in there?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:02 AM   #3

There is a walk thru transom with a slide down door.

the interior is still a bit rough but functional, full head and shower with calephont. The galley sink and stove have glass tops allowing us to make use of the full 1.8m surface, the freezer is on a slide draw below the sink.
We love the panorama view from the saloon.
I installed a HDS10 system , digital engine gauges on a rebuilt helm station, the list was endless.
I will be hauling her for a month soon to do some more work on her.
First job is to move the exhaust from the back to the side, she seems to suck it all into the saloon.

Any tips??

I added some more pics, enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0010.jpg   DSC_0007.jpg   DSC_0006.jpg   DSCF1844.jpg  
Old 06-09-2013, 02:30 AM   #4
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Nice job Kiwi! The view from inside would indeed be grand with all that glass.

I have the same problem with exhaust fumes on occasion. Oddly enough, it is bad only when I am travelling into a slight headwind. I'm a bit hesitant to randomly install new thru-hulls in the hope of making an improvement.
I was considering doing some tests with a flexible exhaust extension to find the ideal outlet point, although it would have to be tested in all wind conditions before making it permanent.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #5

City: Fulton TX
Vessel Name: The Salty Swallow - named by wife
Vessel Model: Private builder - 50' Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiExplorer View Post
There is a walk thru transom with a slide down door.

the interior is still a bit rough but functional, full head and shower with calephont. The galley sink and stove have glass tops allowing us to make use of the full 1.8m surface, the freezer is on a slide draw below the sink.
We love the panorama view from the saloon.
I installed a HDS10 system , digital engine gauges on a rebuilt helm station, the list was endless.
I will be hauling her for a month soon to do some more work on her.
First job is to move the exhaust from the back to the side, she seems to suck it all into the saloon.

Any tips??

I added some more pics, enjoy
VERY nice job Kiwi, I love the amount of glass...

AussieCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #6

City: Galveston
Vessel Name: Sea Catsle
Vessel Model: 1971 Hatteras 58 Yacht Fish
Welcome aboard, cool looking boat.
Victor_Chat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
HDS-10...Lowrance? I think that's a cool system.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
We deal with the exhaust issue(station wagon effect) by opening windows forward. My windshield and side windows open providing enough breeze to counter the effect.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Nice job Kiwi! The view from inside would indeed be grand with all that glass.

I have the same problem with exhaust fumes on occasion. Oddly enough, it is bad only when I am travelling into a slight headwind. I'm a bit hesitant to randomly install new thru-hulls in the hope of making an improvement.
I was considering doing some tests with a flexible exhaust extension to find the ideal outlet point, although it would have to be tested in all wind conditions before making it permanent.
Thanks AusCan
I realize that i wont win 100% by moving the exhaust to the side, but i hope to reduce the fumes in most winds. Cutting a new hole and patching the old one is pretty easy having a steel hull. I am just a bit concerned about water pushing up the power flow silencer, i do have anti siphon loops on the raw water already, the flap cover that is on the back may not be as effective on the side.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
We deal with the exhaust issue(station wagon effect) by opening windows forward. My windshield and side windows open providing enough breeze to counter the effect.
Thats the one thing that I am short of is forward hatches or windows, I only have one above the forward cabin and its great for normal conditions, it just does not push enough air through whilst underway especially if its raining then I almost have to shut it. I am considering putting in a second hatch in the saloon.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
HDS-10...Lowrance? I think that's a cool system.
Yes FlyWright its the lowrance HDS-10, its a very versatile and affordable system that allows me to add bits as I save up, Next on the nav systems upgrade list is the radar module, unfortunately third party fuel and engine management interfaces for diesel enginesare still pricey otherwise I would have let the HDS do the lot.
Attached Files
Old 06-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Welcome to the forum Kiwi Explorer. You may have noticed we have a Downunder section for those of us clinging on down here, to keep us in touch with each other and facilitate interaction when able.
As an ex Kiwi myself, I enjoyed the cruising in the Bay of Islands just North of you when we could. it is a destination which would certainly be reachable in your craft quite easily. We had a Maxi trailer yacht at the time, as we lived in Hawkes Bay, so needed to tow the boat to get to those interesting places. However, having a trailer boat did also open up some of NZ's lovely lakes. We brought the Gazelle over here, but found Moreton Bay here much more suited to a diesel powered trawler style craft, and the kids had got too big for a 26 footer anyway.
Do you plan to,take her up there to the B o I any time soon..?
Old 06-11-2013, 01:04 AM   #13

Thanks Peter

I will keep an eye on the downunder section.
I am want to get up to BOI at the end of this year when I have my annual leave, I would like to go as far up as Whangaroa, my old playground when i had a 21ft trailer sailer.
I sure know what you mean with a trailer boat getting around is pretty easy and fast, but i love the luxury of space and comfort even though she is slow and weather dependent for coastal passages