Old 07-29-2016, 06:59 AM   #21

City: Dunedin, Fl
Vessel Name: T/T Whistful
Vessel Model: Boat US 12' Inflatable
Older thread, but still a good read. We've been waiting for things to line up to allow us to get back into boating, and it's getting closer, but still just out of reach. We thought when we moved from Mass to Fl that it would happen quickly, but life has a funny way of altering your plans.
As of now, we've set a goal of 2020 for our Loop adventure. Seems like a ways off, but once I started "the list", we have a few busy years ahead of us. I picked that year because it's 2yrs after retirement for me. We want to have a year with whatever boat we buy before heading out, but we're planning on doing a number of 1-2mo trips down here in Fl before hand, to both shake down the boat AND shake down the crew.
I've read many blogs on looping, and many posts on expenses, and I think that it varies so much that the only way to get a feel for it is to do a few 1-3 month trips and base your budget on actual numbers that come from the way YOU boat.
We fall into the category of "Ok...we spend a week on the hook, let's go have a REALLY NICE dinner!", and we're ok with that approach.

Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:12 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post
We fall into the category of "Ok...we spend a week on the hook, let's go have a REALLY NICE dinner!", and we're ok with that approach.
Wifey B: One of the things too that influences us is are there good restaurants in the area, and are any distinctive. We've been to a couple of towns recently that none of the restaurants had above a 3.5. We decided But then you hit one where there's a 4.7 and it's unique local cuisine and it's a great choice. Last night it was a local tavern that had incredible ratings. We really felt we got a feel of Manitowaning.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:23 PM   #23
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
This happened in 2002 but the story is still applicable. Two 40' boats left Toronto for the Bahamas in August then returned the following June. One boat spent 13k the other spent 160k. The point being only you can determine how much it costs. Others opinions on costs are irrelevant and/or misleading.

PS. the 13k boat had a great time and have done it several times since. The 160K boat got divorced shortly after returning .... haven't seen them since.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:56 PM   #24
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Great Loop Budget

How did they spend $160k? Engine replacements and other major repairs? I'm not saying it's not true, I just don't understand how to get to a figure that high.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:13 PM   #25
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
How did they spend $160k? Engine replacements and other major repairs? I'm not saying it's not true, I just don't understand how to get to a figure that high.
Nine months of marina's every night, high end restaurants for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The wife refused to "camp". That kind of money is less than pocket change to some of the people at my yacht club. I'm not in that category
My own 8-9 month forays come in around 15k all in.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:17 PM   #26
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
We're planning on starting our loop in Spring, 2017. It's taken me a few years to become as knowledgeable about boat systems as I believe necessary, and it still goes on, but we started very late with boats. I just have had too many other mechanical interests to make boats a competing priority.

We still figure on doing the Florida loop first, ...probably about two weeks or more as a trial. My Admiral leans more toward Marina hopping then anchoring out, but I'm hoping that she changes her mind as she becomes more comfortable with the boat. I estimating somewhere between 50-75 K budget, but will be keeping close tabs.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:33 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Wifey B: One shopping trip at Atlantis, some outfits, some jewelry.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:40 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
We're planning on starting our loop in Spring, 2017. It's taken me a few years to become as knowledgeable about boat systems as I believe necessary, and it still goes on, but we started very late with boats. I just have had too many other mechanical interests to make boats a competing priority.

We still figure on doing the Florida loop first, ...probably about two weeks or more as a trial. My Admiral leans more toward Marina hopping then anchoring out, but I'm hoping that she changes her mind as she becomes more comfortable with the boat. I estimating somewhere between 50-75 K budget, but will be keeping close tabs.
Our biggest recommendation for a loop is to be ready to leave NYC as close to May 1 as possible. Then if you're ok not leaving Chicago until late September or early October you have 5 complete months for the canals and the Great Lakes. That allows you to see areas most loopers don't. Allows a trip to the Georgian Bay, a trip to Toronto. Allows seeing both sides of Lake Michigan and going down to Green Bay. Allows you to include Lake Superior if you choose although I probably wouldn't go too far in it without a fast boat as it will eat so much time up.

For us, we wanted to maximize the time in the cold weather areas while it was warm.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:26 PM   #29

City: Knoxville
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Vessel Model: 08 Meridian 490 Pilothouse
We just returned from 10 day power cat charter in BVI one couple split dinner each night and tried to eat before 5p to get the lunch discount. All had a great time!
Pura Vida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:56 PM   #30
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
We just returned from 10 day power cat charter in BVI one couple split dinner each night and tried to eat before 5p to get the lunch discount. All had a great time!

😂😂😂😂

I'm pretty cheap, but damn.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:02 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
😂😂😂😂

I'm pretty cheap, but damn.
Wifey B: We both eat way too much for that. I eat a lot for a female and people see how much hubby eats and don't believe me when I said he use to eat more. Maybe when we get older.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:22 AM   #32

City: Knoxville
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Vessel Model: 08 Meridian 490 Pilothouse
I am sure figuring a budget for the loop would have many variables, the loop association would be a good resource. Splitting meals would help me with my weight.
Pura Vida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:16 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Allows seeing both sides of Lake Michigan and going down to Green Bay.
Trust me, unless you're a Packer fan, there's nothing to see in Green Bay and it's a boring trip to get down there and back. Same for Wisconsin side of Lake Michigan south of Sturgeon Bay....with possible exception of the art museum in Milwaukee and Maritime museum in Manitowoc. Same for anything south of Leland on the Michigan side. I'd do Mack Island, Harbor Sprngs/Petoski, maybe Charlevoix..then Beaver Island, West side of Wisconsin's Door County. Pop back onto Lake Michigan at Sturgeon Bay. Then Manitowoc, Milwaukee, Chicago. The only thing you'll miss on the Michigan shore of Lake Michigan is Saugatuck...if cute, expensive, little shops and the LGBT lifestyle is your thing. The rest are towns that have become commercialized summer shtick....mediocre restaurants staffed by summer only kids, trinket shops, fudge, hats/t-shirts and crowds from Chicago, Detroit, the other large cities at the south end of the Lake, and loopers. If you like Niagra Falls or the Jersey Shore, you'll enjoy what's happened to most of Lake Michigan shore towns and that includes those of Door County...which is virtually owned by wealthy Chicagoans (FIBs to the few remaining locals who serve them in the summer months).
go-planing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:06 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-planing View Post
Trust me, unless you're a Packer fan, there's nothing to see in Green Bay and it's a boring trip to get down there and back. Same for Wisconsin side of Lake Michigan south of Sturgeon Bay....with possible exception of the art museum in Milwaukee and Maritime museum in Manitowoc. Same for anything south of Leland on the Michigan side. I'd do Mack Island, Harbor Sprngs/Petoski, maybe Charlevoix..then Beaver Island, West side of Wisconsin's Door County. Pop back onto Lake Michigan at Sturgeon Bay. Then Manitowoc, Milwaukee, Chicago. The only thing you'll miss on the Michigan shore of Lake Michigan is Saugatuck...if cute, expensive, little shops and the LGBT lifestyle is your thing. The rest are towns that have become commercialized summer shtick....mediocre restaurants staffed by summer only kids, trinket shops, fudge, hats/t-shirts and crowds from Chicago, Detroit, the other large cities at the south end of the Lake, and loopers. If you like Niagra Falls or the Jersey Shore, you'll enjoy what's happened to most of Lake Michigan shore towns and that includes those of Door County...which is virtually owned by wealthy Chicagoans (FIBs to the few remaining locals who serve them in the summer months).
Wifey B: No thanks. I won't trust you. As to cute, expensive, little shops and the LGBT lifestyle, I don't know what the h... you intended to say by that but as some of my best friends are lesbian couples, I don't like any implication and their lifestyle is no different than anyone else's. There was no point in the slur.

As to Green Bay, how about the National Railroad Museum or the Neville or Hazlewood or the Oneida museum or even the Children's Museum? The Heritage Hill State Park? The Bay Beach Wildlife Sanctuary, the Zoo and Adventure Park? A Beautiful Botanical Garden or the Packer Hall of Fame? And I do want to see Lambeau even though the Tundra won't be frozen. There are some cool tours on Segways. I look forward to the ARTgarage plus some artists studios. The Ashwaubenon historical society.

I could give you a list on the other towns too. The point is that we find something great in every town we visit, while I guess you find things to put the areas down on. Why we could even find some good in whatever area of Texas you live in.

We'll find the things to enjoy in each stop we make and always wish we had more time. Chicago is a thriving town, a cultural center, a beautiful lakefront city and we look forward to it.

And I don't feel the need to put down places or groups of people. So, please excuse me if I don't trust you.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:15 AM   #35
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

Wifey B: No thanks. I won't trust you. As to cute, expensive, little shops and the LGBT lifestyle, I don't know what the h... you intended to say by that but as some of my best friends are lesbian couples, I don't like any implication and their lifestyle is no different than anyone else's. There was no point in the slur.

As to Green Bay, how about the National Railroad Museum or the Neville or Hazlewood or the Oneida museum or even the Children's Museum? The Heritage Hill State Park? The Bay Beach Wildlife Sanctuary, the Zoo and Adventure Park? A Beautiful Botanical Garden or the Packer Hall of Fame? And I do want to see Lambeau even though the Tundra won't be frozen. There are some cool tours on Segways. I look forward to the ARTgarage plus some artists studios. The Ashwaubenon historical society.

I could give you a list on the other towns too. The point is that we find something great in every town we visit, while I guess you find things to put the areas down on. Why we could even find some good in whatever area of Texas you live in.

We'll find the things to enjoy in each stop we make and always wish we had more time. Chicago is a thriving town, a cultural center, a beautiful lakefront city and we look forward to it.

And I don't feel the need to put down places or groups of people. So, please excuse me if I don't trust you.
Well said !!

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:51 PM   #36

Suit yourself, but I've been to every port on Lake Michigan/Green Bay (many of them more than once)...unlike the author(s) of the pie-in-the sky PR cruising guide you're quoting. It's not clear that you've been to any of these places and you're making proclamations about how important it is to make time to see them all. I called BS...and gave an honest assessment of what's happened to the area. Once sleepy, charming little towns have been ruined by summer tourism. You might still find them charming, but we find them increasingly commercial and repetitive.

Wonderful that you have LGBT friends. So do we. That's not the point. And I actually said Saugatuck is the only place worth stopping south of Leland. Been there. Some folks would be put off by the overtly gay culture. The city specifically caters to it.

Enjoy your trip down Green Bay...the swarms of bay flies will be happy to accompany you. Get the timing right and your boat will be black when you arrive. Did you know the Indians called the bay of Green Bay "stink water"? Do you realize that the primary marina in Green Bay is next to a coal fired power plant that occasionally pumps out ash from it's stacks, and that with a south wind you can also enjoy the aroma from the sewage plant a block away? (By the way, you'll have to rent a car to do anything in Green Bay as the marina is quite remote from the sites you listed).

If you must see the stadium/Hall of Fame, or anything else in Green Bay, rent a car in Sturgeon Bay and drive there...about an hour. The zoo is small. The amusement park is hokey as are museums in the big scheme of things. Heritage Hill is OK, but not worth a special trip. Green Bay is a small ugly paper mill town...and any charm it ever had was destroyed 40 years ago by developers who tore down the old inner city and built a mall....which is now a virtual ghost town. Read a book about Green Bay and save some time and $$.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:41 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Suit yourself, but I've been to every port on Lake Michigan/Green Bay (many of them more than once)...unlike the author(s) of the pie-in-the sky PR cruising guide you're quoting. You haven't been to any of these places and you're making proclamations about how important it is to make time to see them all. I called BS...and gave an honest assessment of what's not worth the effort.

Wonderful that you have LGBT friends. So do we. That's not the point. And I actually said Saugatuck is the only place worth stopping south of Leland. Been there. Just be aware it's Old Cape Cod west. Some folks would be put off by the overtly gay culture.

Enjoy your trip down Green Bay...the swarms of bay flies will be happy to accompany you. Did you know the Indians called the bay of Green Bay "stink water"? Do you realize that the primary marina in Green Bay is next to a coal fired power plant that occasionally pumps out ash from it's stacks, and that with a south wind you can also enjoy the aroma from the sewage plant a block away? (You'll have to rent a car to do anything in Green Bay as the marina is quite remote).

If you must see the stadium/Hall of Fame, or anything else in Green Bay, rent a car in Sturgeon Bay and drive there...about an hour. The zoo is small. The amusement park is hokey as are museums in the big scheme of things. Heritage Hill is OK, but not worth a special trip. Read a book about Green Bay and save some time and $$.
Obviously we like people and places more than you do. We like everywhere we go. We also don't put down places others live. We point out the best, not the worst. I don't hold the hatred of any city that you do apparently for Green Bay. We'll find something there enjoyable to us. Sorry you've become so jaded by your many trips there. We've read and talked to many others who have a different opinion of the west coast and the bay area.

As to what is an overly gay culture, I don't even know. But I find it disappointing that it's the thing you found most meaningful and merit of mentioning about an area. I'm assuming you don't like Cape Cod either? Is it overly gay, since you compare? I've been to Cape Cod and found it very nice.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:02 PM   #38

You are clearly most wonderful human beings. Much better than us.

The word is "overtly", not overly. Look it up. The gay culture of Saugatuck is the most noteworthy and highly publicized (by the gay community themselves) thing about the town. I'm terribly sorry that you're "disappointed", but I simply stated a fact. Your attempt to insult and belittle is pointless, but it is very enlightening.

Enjoy the voyage. We just did most of the Trent Severn and the Rideau by car...took about a week and avoided sweating for hours on end through all those locks. The deck crews did not appear to be enjoying themselves...hot week on the water. Cost of our trip was about a tenth of what it would have been by boat. We liked the people and the towns...some more than others...if that's allowed...
Old 07-30-2016, 09:24 PM   #39
Guru

City: Sydney
Id rather know the truth about a location than dress it up as fairy bread. Green Bay sound like a fun place
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:24 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
The word is "overtly", not overly. Look it up. The gay culture of Saugatuck is the most noteworthy and highly publicized (by the gay community themselves) thing about the town. I'm terribly sorry that you're "disappointed", but I simply stated a fact. Your attempt to insult and belittle is pointless, but it is very enlightening.

Enjoy the voyage. We just did most of the Trent Severn and the Rideau by car...took about a week and avoided sweating for hours on end through all those locks. The deck crews did not appear to be enjoying themselves...hot week on the water. Cost of our trip was about a tenth of what it would have been by boat. We liked the people and the towns...some more than others...
I did misread the word, "overtly." That's what I get for using a phone to read. I still don't see why one felt that needed to be noted.

As to going by car, we could all go faster and less expensively to all our destinations by car. No argument there. We prefer boat.