Got a boat, Got a Capt., Got lots of questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh my, that is a wonderful boat! Good advice to take some time to get to know her a bit. She offers so much to work with and I can understand your enthusiasm for personal changes. Seems like the kitchen meant a lot to a previous owner and perhaps is less important for your needs. A nice 'L' shape or 'U' shaped kitchen (with bar) up front would leave you with a nice living area which in turn could open out to the great back deck area via your new sliding glass doors which is now big enough to allow for new full size furniture and appliances and while we are at it, let's extend the roof which will allow for shade and removeable screens and a place to hold the dingy up top and then we could................Well, I'm just getting excited... but still, we would only have to sell one airplane or we could timeshare the golf cart and get off to a good start.....

I think I just fell in love! :flowers::smitten::oops:

So Mr. Al would love to have any one of them. lol. All are for sale or trade for work on our boat..... You can be the first to take your pick...;):whistling:

Oh my, that is a wonderful boat! Good advice to take some time to get to know her a bit. She offers so much to work with and I can understand your enthusiasm for personal changes. Seems like the kitchen meant a lot to a previous owner and perhaps is less important for your needs. A nice 'L' shape or 'U' shaped kitchen (with bar) up front would leave you with a nice living area which in turn could open out to the great back deck area via your new sliding glass doors which is now big enough to allow for new full size furniture and appliances and while we are at it, let's extend the roof which will allow for shade and removeable screens and a place to hold the dingy up top and then we could................Well, I'm just getting excited... but still, we would only have to sell one airplane or we could timeshare the golf cart and get off to a good start.....

Jobe,

Now that is what I am talking about... I love the idea of a sliding back door. and the wrap around bar area. would love full size any thing at this point. lol.. Removable screens would be nice cause we got huge sqeeters in Texas. Thank you so much for the ideas please keep them coming. Now you are thinking my way of life... You are an :angel:

Thanks Baker. I don't need much cabinets. Just enough for knives, forks, bbq utensils, and my tequila bottles. lol. oh my blender. I have plenty of room for my fishing poles and our scuba tanks. and I am so low maintenance it ain't funny. I am a little (petite) country gal. but want it to look nice... Which marina are you in? We want to come there but want a covered slip. I am Admiral but I wipe down our teak and there is a lot of it. so any help would be appreciated. Thought about Blue Dolphin? what do you think?:)

If you want covered slips, Blue Dolphin is about your only choice. I have friends over there that have been there for MANY years...so they obviously like it. My only knock on it is the bath facilities are "basic" and there is no pool. Otherwise, the docks have been recently redone and are in good shape. The only other covered slips in the area are Seabrook Shipyard(which are covered AND floating...and EXPENSIVE) and Lakewood Yacht Club which is a true private yacht club. I am at South Shore Harbor. I believe it is the best value in the area as the docks are nice and the prices reasonable. The property is all part of a resort and conference center so the grounds are nice although a bit too much concrete. If you are looking for the party, it is here. And I say that with caution because it can be crazy...swim up bar at the pool...the works. Anyway, take that for what it is worth. The pool in the summertime on the weekends is a scene in and of itself...and that is not always a good thing. But Blue Dolphin is your answer if you want covered slips. And Seabrook Shipyard if money is Not an object. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions about the area.

With such a pretty boat with a lot of wood trim and decks the boat should have covered moorage or canvas enclosure/covers, before you do any changes. The pretty bright word will no last long out in the weather/sun. the first year we canvas clear enclosed the stern deck, the third year canvas clear the pilot house, and storage boxes/rails over the years. In the winter I tartp enclose the entire front deck. On nice days we can roll up the canvas.

Instead of full sliding back doors you might want to added counter/sink/refrig/BBQ on the back deck.

Attachments

• back deck test small.jpg
    back deck test small.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Eagle on the hard -.jpg
    Eagle on the hard -.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited by a moderator:
I use to laugh at those who bought weekend lake homes and then landscaped creating tons of grass to take care of when it had been natural and adding flower gardens all around for more work. Then every time they'd go to the lake, half a day would be spent mowing and gardening.

Then here I am into boats. And teak. And stainless steel. And real wood, not a nice fake or laminate. Now I understand the lawn people above. The allure is just so powerful.

They're even offering teak floors in dinghy's and tenders now. Surely I won't be that dumb. Well, can't be sure. We must resist it's pull. No, I shouldn't have teak on a swim platform. No not in the cockpit. No no no......oops.....it looks so nice. Oh I'm tormented. What will I ever do?

Greetings,
Ms. b. I'm SURE it was unintentional but your first picture suggests that your captain is a problem area. As I said, surely unintentional. Might I be so bold as to suggest you hold off on any major remodeling for a period of time? Potty? Sure. That's not a major change. Live with the boat for some time (6 months+?). You may find those chest fridge/freezers and the gas stove may prove to be assets as opposed to liabilities. Keeping them would be easier on your battery bank and lessen the need to run a generator for example.
I fully appreciate your enthusiasm and the need to "nest" but go gently. You DO have a beautiful vessel.

Well said Firefly.

Also, Phil Fill, really nice posting.

Sitting here almost 1 year later, I do regret the priority I initially made,as I spent money on things that I still don;t need and suffered without things that really would have made a difference over the last 7000 miles:facepalm::facepalm:

Other than the toilets, I too, would hold off on your other changes.

Some people run the gne all the time; others hardly at all. You won't really know who you are until you find out who you are.:confused:

Also, Phil Fill, really nice posting.

Sitting here almost 1 year later, I do regret the priority I initially made,as I spent money on things that I still don;t need and suffered without things that really would have made a difference over the last 7000 miles:facepalm::facepalm:

Other than the toilets, I too, would hold off on your other changes.

Some people run the gne all the time; others hardly at all. You won't really know who you are until you find out who you are.:confused:[/QUOTE]

Yes sir WXX3, I will try to slow my roll.. lol.. Some things I can hold off with but other stuff I have to have.. but I will try to make it work for what we want and what little we need.. But above all what looks good to keep the integrity of her as the vessel she is... Thank you so much more your wisdom... :)

I use to laugh at those who bought weekend lake homes and then landscaped creating tons of grass to take care of when it had been natural and adding flower gardens all around for more work. Then every time they'd go to the lake, half a day would be spent mowing and gardening.

Then here I am into boats. And teak. And stainless steel. And real wood, not a nice fake or laminate. Now I understand the lawn people above. The allure is just so powerful.

They're even offering teak floors in dinghy's and tenders now. Surely I won't be that dumb. Well, can't be sure. We must resist it's pull. No, I shouldn't have teak on a swim platform. No not in the cockpit. No no no......oops.....it looks so nice. Oh I'm tormented. What will I ever do?

Yes sir BandB, I feel your pain. Really, I am the one who wipes the morning dew off of her.. So yes I do understand and hope to find ways to make it a little easier on me (a little).. lol.. But yes I do love her wood just like I like my lawn manicured.. So I guess I will do what I can... I love the fact of the comic way in which you put stuff. I love to laugh, after all is the best medicine and better than crying...:lol:

With such a pretty boat with a lot of wood trim and decks the boat should have covered moorage or canvas enclosure/covers, before you do any changes. The pretty bright word will no last long out in the weather/sun. the first year we canvas clear enclosed the stern deck, the third year canvas clear the pilot house, and storage boxes/rails over the years. In the winter I tartp enclose the entire front deck. On nice days we can roll up the canvas.

Instead of full sliding back doors you might want to added counter/sink/refrig/BBQ on the back deck.

Oh Mr. Phil Fil, I so love the idea of a covered back deck with all the amenities of home. I would love a fiberglass awning with lights for those after hours beverages and fun food. I love to cook and even better is outside. I for sure want the canvas for all the teak wood. So who would you suggest I use for that? I have canvas that came with it, but Top is Tan and storage and front window wrap and windlass are Blue.. So I think go all Tan, better to reflect sun instead of attract it? I want to take off all stainless steel and have it powder coated? Yes or No?????? I need a bar area for sure.... lol.. Thank you so much for helping me and giving GREAT ideas...:thumb:

My Mom

I will be at our boat Sunday after my Beautiful Moms Memorial Service. She lost her battle to Giloblastoma (brain cancer) on March 4, 2014. Yes it has been rough since last September when she was diagnosed. Radiation, Chemo, and Biopsy's. She did better than any human I have known with this and handled it like a Lady and a Fighter all in one.. She was a leading sales rept. for the oil industry in Valves. She was well loved by all who knew her. I talked to her about our boat ideas and what I wanted to do.. She said, "Yes, go for it and take me with you". I wanted to but I did not get the Rhino in time. But she seen pictures of her and was proud that we are going to have a new adventure and a new life on the open water like I always dreamed of. This is why I want the Rhino so perfect. And I will take my Mom with me when I go to the Beautiful islands and I will put a hand full of ashes like she asked me to in the sea. So here is to my MOM. Love you Mom,
Your Baby Girl............... P.S. tell DAD hi for me..... R.I.P to both
GOD:speed boat::Thanx: for teaching good morals, values, respect, and above all love for life and the people who love me back...

Amen girl!!! Sorry to hear about your mother. She sounds like an awesome lady. What a wonderful tribute to her!!!!!

Amen girl!!! Sorry to hear about your mother. She sounds like an awesome lady. What a wonderful tribute to her!!!!!

Thank You Baker,

Gonna try today to act as strong as my MOM was. I agree she would be happy to go with us on our adventure. I kept my promise and took care of her at her home where she passed with me by her side. I will keep my promise on this as well. Hope the Memorial today is deserving of such an AMAZING woman..

Back
Top Bottom