Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #21
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,633
Welcome aboard. I am in the Clear Lake area. The boat looks familiar? Very beautiful nonetheless. And listen to RT Firefly. Those are wise words! Don't go taking out cabinets. Storage is king on a boat. If yall are ever in the Clear Lake area, look me up and come on by!! We have a pretty active group!
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Prairie 29...Perkins 4236...Sold
Mainship Pilot 30...Yanmar 4LHA-STP...Sold
Carver 356...T-Cummins 330B
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:00 PM   #22
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,996
Greetings,
Ms. b. Retiring @ 35 eh? Must be nice. If you love cooking, what can be better than gas? Uh, oh......Well at least I didn't mention anchors....

__________________

__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:02 PM   #23
Member
 
bombchelle's Avatar
 
City: Cut N Shoot
Country: usa
Vessel Name: RHINO
Vessel Model: Jarvis Newman
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Welcome aboard. I am in the Clear Lake area. The boat looks familiar? Very beautiful nonetheless. And listen to RT Firefly. Those are wise words! Don't go taking out cabinets. Storage is king on a boat. If yall are ever in the Clear Lake area, look me up and come on by!! We have a pretty active group!
Thanks Baker. I don't need much cabinets. Just enough for knives, forks, bbq utensils, and my tequila bottles. lol. oh my blender. I have plenty of room for my fishing poles and our scuba tanks. and I am so low maintenance it ain't funny. I am a little (petite) country gal. but want it to look nice... Which marina are you in? We want to come there but want a covered slip. I am Admiral but I wipe down our teak and there is a lot of it. so any help would be appreciated. Thought about Blue Dolphin? what do you think?
__________________
Free Speech carries with it some Freedom to Listen.
bombchelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #24
Member
 
bombchelle's Avatar
 
City: Cut N Shoot
Country: usa
Vessel Name: RHINO
Vessel Model: Jarvis Newman
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 23
Greetings,
Ms. b. Retiring @ 35 eh? Must be nice. If you love cooking, what can be better than gas? Uh, oh......Well at least I didn't mention anchors....


Awww.. you so sweet. I wish I was only gonna be 35 and know what I know now. lol. Well I want outside grill.. I would love it to be outside . I don't bake so don't need an oven. I can make bread on a grill and cobbler. bbq cook-offs helped me there. so what kind of gas built in grill can I put on my boat do you think? and where would I put it? I will post some more pictures of back so you can see all the space I have outside.
__________________
Free Speech carries with it some Freedom to Listen.
bombchelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:15 PM   #25
Member
 
bombchelle's Avatar
 
City: Cut N Shoot
Country: usa
Vessel Name: RHINO
Vessel Model: Jarvis Newman
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 23
I have all this wonderful space

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0112.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	28221

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0105.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	28222
__________________
Free Speech carries with it some Freedom to Listen.
bombchelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:16 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Sortie's Avatar
 
City: Merritt Island,Fl
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 254
Welcome aboard. You do in fact have a beautiful boat. I am familiar with the Jarvis Newman they are superb sea boats. Please heed those who are urging patience, get a sense of how the total package works before making major changes.

Did Jarvis Newman finish her or another builder? Congratulations, you have a really excellent vessel, enjoy.

John
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:31 PM   #27
Guru
 
City: Venice Louisiana
Country: United States
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,097
Are you at Sabine Pass Port Authority ? I kept a few boats there over the years. Love the place !!! Tell Art Farenholtz Bob England said hello (with a big WINK) he'll know who I am. Ask him about the Corvette I traded him for boat work.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:50 PM   #28
Member
 
bombchelle's Avatar
 
City: Cut N Shoot
Country: usa
Vessel Name: RHINO
Vessel Model: Jarvis Newman
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 23
Smile

Thank John,

I did some research on the Jarvis Newman's history and I don't think she was finished by them. I wish I knew where and who did though. To me she really looks like she was saddled with the Cabin area at a much later date? Not sure though. Yes sir, I will try to be patient. But I have OCD issues and want to tweak her. I want to keep her integrity as well. I need a place for ALL my new friends from here to be able to sit, eat, and have HAPPY HOUR with us...lol
__________________
Free Speech carries with it some Freedom to Listen.
bombchelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:55 PM   #29
Member
 
bombchelle's Avatar
 
City: Cut N Shoot
Country: usa
Vessel Name: RHINO
Vessel Model: Jarvis Newman
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
Are you at Sabine Pass Port Authority ? I kept a few boats there over the years. Love the place !!! Tell Art Farenholtz Bob England said hello (with a big WINK) he'll know who I am. Ask him about the Corvette I traded him for boat work.
Yes sir Mr. Kulas they were great people there. But not covered. We needed covered to do some mechanical and electrical work on her. So now we are at the BYC. Just up the Neches River. Nice people there too. Hey by the way do you know a marine electrician I could use I have some issues with batteries, chargers, upper and lower helm instruments talking to each other (I guess that is what you call it). I have two planes, two other boats, and a golf cart on steroids I would love to trade for some expert work on her... lol.. but for real not joking...
__________________
Free Speech carries with it some Freedom to Listen.
bombchelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:14 AM   #30
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombchelle View Post
...I have two planes, two other boats, and a golf cart on steroids ...
I think I just fell in love!
__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:06 AM   #31
Veteran Member
 
City: NH
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 72
Oh my, that is a wonderful boat! Good advice to take some time to get to know her a bit. She offers so much to work with and I can understand your enthusiasm for personal changes. Seems like the kitchen meant a lot to a previous owner and perhaps is less important for your needs. A nice 'L' shape or 'U' shaped kitchen (with bar) up front would leave you with a nice living area which in turn could open out to the great back deck area via your new sliding glass doors which is now big enough to allow for new full size furniture and appliances and while we are at it, let's extend the roof which will allow for shade and removeable screens and a place to hold the dingy up top and then we could................Well, I'm just getting excited... but still, we would only have to sell one airplane or we could timeshare the golf cart and get off to a good start.....
Jobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #32
Member
 
bombchelle's Avatar
 
City: Cut N Shoot
Country: usa
Vessel Name: RHINO
Vessel Model: Jarvis Newman
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I think I just fell in love!

So Mr. Al would love to have any one of them. lol. All are for sale or trade for work on our boat..... You can be the first to take your pick...
__________________
Free Speech carries with it some Freedom to Listen.
bombchelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #33
Member
 
bombchelle's Avatar
 
City: Cut N Shoot
Country: usa
Vessel Name: RHINO
Vessel Model: Jarvis Newman
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
Oh my, that is a wonderful boat! Good advice to take some time to get to know her a bit. She offers so much to work with and I can understand your enthusiasm for personal changes. Seems like the kitchen meant a lot to a previous owner and perhaps is less important for your needs. A nice 'L' shape or 'U' shaped kitchen (with bar) up front would leave you with a nice living area which in turn could open out to the great back deck area via your new sliding glass doors which is now big enough to allow for new full size furniture and appliances and while we are at it, let's extend the roof which will allow for shade and removeable screens and a place to hold the dingy up top and then we could................Well, I'm just getting excited... but still, we would only have to sell one airplane or we could timeshare the golf cart and get off to a good start.....
Jobe,

Now that is what I am talking about... I love the idea of a sliding back door. and the wrap around bar area. would love full size any thing at this point. lol.. Removable screens would be nice cause we got huge sqeeters in Texas. Thank you so much for the ideas please keep them coming. Now you are thinking my way of life... You are an
__________________
Free Speech carries with it some Freedom to Listen.
bombchelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:45 AM   #34
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombchelle View Post
Thanks Baker. I don't need much cabinets. Just enough for knives, forks, bbq utensils, and my tequila bottles. lol. oh my blender. I have plenty of room for my fishing poles and our scuba tanks. and I am so low maintenance it ain't funny. I am a little (petite) country gal. but want it to look nice... Which marina are you in? We want to come there but want a covered slip. I am Admiral but I wipe down our teak and there is a lot of it. so any help would be appreciated. Thought about Blue Dolphin? what do you think?
If you want covered slips, Blue Dolphin is about your only choice. I have friends over there that have been there for MANY years...so they obviously like it. My only knock on it is the bath facilities are "basic" and there is no pool. Otherwise, the docks have been recently redone and are in good shape. The only other covered slips in the area are Seabrook Shipyard(which are covered AND floating...and EXPENSIVE) and Lakewood Yacht Club which is a true private yacht club. I am at South Shore Harbor. I believe it is the best value in the area as the docks are nice and the prices reasonable. The property is all part of a resort and conference center so the grounds are nice although a bit too much concrete. If you are looking for the party, it is here. And I say that with caution because it can be crazy...swim up bar at the pool...the works. Anyway, take that for what it is worth. The pool in the summertime on the weekends is a scene in and of itself...and that is not always a good thing. But Blue Dolphin is your answer if you want covered slips. And Seabrook Shipyard if money is Not an object. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions about the area.
__________________
Prairie 29...Perkins 4236...Sold
Mainship Pilot 30...Yanmar 4LHA-STP...Sold
Carver 356...T-Cummins 330B
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #35
Guru
 
Phil Fill's Avatar
 
City: Everett Wa
Country: US
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,919
With such a pretty boat with a lot of wood trim and decks the boat should have covered moorage or canvas enclosure/covers, before you do any changes. The pretty bright word will no last long out in the weather/sun. the first year we canvas clear enclosed the stern deck, the third year canvas clear the pilot house, and storage boxes/rails over the years. In the winter I tartp enclose the entire front deck. On nice days we can roll up the canvas.

Instead of full sliding back doors you might want to added counter/sink/refrig/BBQ on the back deck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	back deck test small.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	28260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eagle on the hard -.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	28261  
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:10 PM   #36
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,175
I use to laugh at those who bought weekend lake homes and then landscaped creating tons of grass to take care of when it had been natural and adding flower gardens all around for more work. Then every time they'd go to the lake, half a day would be spent mowing and gardening.

Then here I am into boats. And teak. And stainless steel. And real wood, not a nice fake or laminate. Now I understand the lawn people above. The allure is just so powerful.

They're even offering teak floors in dinghy's and tenders now. Surely I won't be that dumb. Well, can't be sure. We must resist it's pull. No, I shouldn't have teak on a swim platform. No not in the cockpit. No no no......oops.....it looks so nice. Oh I'm tormented. What will I ever do?
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #37
Dauntless Award
 
Wxx3's Avatar
 
City: New York, NY
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Ms. b. I'm SURE it was unintentional but your first picture suggests that your captain is a problem area. As I said, surely unintentional. Might I be so bold as to suggest you hold off on any major remodeling for a period of time? Potty? Sure. That's not a major change. Live with the boat for some time (6 months+?). You may find those chest fridge/freezers and the gas stove may prove to be assets as opposed to liabilities. Keeping them would be easier on your battery bank and lessen the need to run a generator for example.
I fully appreciate your enthusiasm and the need to "nest" but go gently. You DO have a beautiful vessel.
Well said Firefly.

Also, Phil Fill, really nice posting.

Sitting here almost 1 year later, I do regret the priority I initially made,as I spent money on things that I still don;t need and suffered without things that really would have made a difference over the last 7000 miles

Other than the toilets, I too, would hold off on your other changes.

Some people run the gne all the time; others hardly at all. You won't really know who you are until you find out who you are.
__________________
M/Y Dauntless, New York
a Kadey Krogen 42 Currently https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Blog: https://dauntlessatsea.com
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:53 PM   #38
Member
 
bombchelle's Avatar
 
City: Cut N Shoot
Country: usa
Vessel Name: RHINO
Vessel Model: Jarvis Newman
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 23
Also, Phil Fill, really nice posting.

Sitting here almost 1 year later, I do regret the priority I initially made,as I spent money on things that I still don;t need and suffered without things that really would have made a difference over the last 7000 miles

Other than the toilets, I too, would hold off on your other changes.

Some people run the gne all the time; others hardly at all. You won't really know who you are until you find out who you are.[/QUOTE]

Yes sir WXX3, I will try to slow my roll.. lol.. Some things I can hold off with but other stuff I have to have.. but I will try to make it work for what we want and what little we need.. But above all what looks good to keep the integrity of her as the vessel she is... Thank you so much more your wisdom...
__________________
Free Speech carries with it some Freedom to Listen.
bombchelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:58 PM   #39
Member
 
bombchelle's Avatar
 
City: Cut N Shoot
Country: usa
Vessel Name: RHINO
Vessel Model: Jarvis Newman
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I use to laugh at those who bought weekend lake homes and then landscaped creating tons of grass to take care of when it had been natural and adding flower gardens all around for more work. Then every time they'd go to the lake, half a day would be spent mowing and gardening.

Then here I am into boats. And teak. And stainless steel. And real wood, not a nice fake or laminate. Now I understand the lawn people above. The allure is just so powerful.

They're even offering teak floors in dinghy's and tenders now. Surely I won't be that dumb. Well, can't be sure. We must resist it's pull. No, I shouldn't have teak on a swim platform. No not in the cockpit. No no no......oops.....it looks so nice. Oh I'm tormented. What will I ever do?
Yes sir BandB, I feel your pain. Really, I am the one who wipes the morning dew off of her.. So yes I do understand and hope to find ways to make it a little easier on me (a little).. lol.. But yes I do love her wood just like I like my lawn manicured.. So I guess I will do what I can... I love the fact of the comic way in which you put stuff. I love to laugh, after all is the best medicine and better than crying...
__________________
Free Speech carries with it some Freedom to Listen.
bombchelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:08 PM   #40
Member
 
bombchelle's Avatar
 
City: Cut N Shoot
Country: usa
Vessel Name: RHINO
Vessel Model: Jarvis Newman
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
With such a pretty boat with a lot of wood trim and decks the boat should have covered moorage or canvas enclosure/covers, before you do any changes. The pretty bright word will no last long out in the weather/sun. the first year we canvas clear enclosed the stern deck, the third year canvas clear the pilot house, and storage boxes/rails over the years. In the winter I tartp enclose the entire front deck. On nice days we can roll up the canvas.

Instead of full sliding back doors you might want to added counter/sink/refrig/BBQ on the back deck.
Oh Mr. Phil Fil, I so love the idea of a covered back deck with all the amenities of home. I would love a fiberglass awning with lights for those after hours beverages and fun food. I love to cook and even better is outside. I for sure want the canvas for all the teak wood. So who would you suggest I use for that? I have canvas that came with it, but Top is Tan and storage and front window wrap and windlass are Blue.. So I think go all Tan, better to reflect sun instead of attract it? I want to take off all stainless steel and have it powder coated? Yes or No?????? I need a bar area for sure.... lol.. Thank you so much for helping me and giving GREAT ideas...
__________________

__________________
Free Speech carries with it some Freedom to Listen.
bombchelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012