Old 09-27-2019, 10:40 AM   #21
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Focus on what is most important to you, your 95% use. People buy boats with great plans to cross open water and cruise long distances. Then five years later they realize that's not in their plans and they downsize to the boat that fits their current cruising.
Excellent advice! That was me in 1995 when purchasing my first "big boat." I bought a 48' Off Shore Yacht Fisher with expectations of cruising the Sea of Cortez. 3 years later, I never went to the Sea of Cortez on that boat. Later, I bought a 54' sport fisher and planned to enter bill fish tournaments on the west coast and Cabo. Never did that either! Back to the advice stated above. I can't think of anything that's more relative to what you are about to do than following that advice. Here's an exercise for you & your husband: "Concentrate on what you clearly see yourselves doing the first couple of years after purchasing a boat." then, buy the smallest boat that has all the features you would love to have." Smallest might be 32' or even 50' depending on your wish list. (Save the sea adventures & long distance cruises for another day.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Avalon.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	94485  

Old 09-27-2019, 10:48 AM   #22

City: St Petersburg
Thank you so much for the reply and you are so accurate. we have taken just those steps in getting our sea legs thus far. We started out with a 26' and worked our way up to the 37' and are now looking for the 39' Mainship. we are buying for most of the time us but selfishly so that we have some room for the grand babies as often as we can have them. the 2 older ones will not want to hang out on the boat for much longer since they are teenagers but the little ones will get to spend a lot of time with us at least until they start school.

Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:55 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Berkeley, CA
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Model: Kha Shing Sundeck 40
Think about a boat with a solid fiberglass hull. Safer, longer lasting, better resale.
Andiamo2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:59 PM   #24
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Welcome Sheri. Remember no pics...it didn't happen....
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:42 PM   #25

City: Vero Beach FL
Vessel Name: Winterlude
Vessel Model: 2003 Hampton 558
Mainship

We've been to the Bahamas in our 43 3SR Mainship a few times for 6 months at a time. I agree with those that say you need to cross in a good sea state-- 2'-3' max. After that it is pretty lumpy and you feel like you are on the end of a metronome. Good weather and good seas and you are fine.

Once you are there it is a great boat and the envy of all.

Just be sure your systems are all working well as you will need them-- engines, generator, AC and chest freezer is all charged with gas. Bring spare parts for any and everything. IF you have two engines, bring 2 of everything.

If the boat you are buying is new to you, get everything in good working order before you go. There are no spare parts avail without paying a ransom and waiting for them to be shipped in. The mechanics there are spotty in quality.

I've seen the 39' you are talking about. Its a nice boat, but I think it has 1 room and 1 closet with a fold out bed for guests. Is that the one? It looked like a great boat for 2 but tight for the guests.

Good luck. The trip is worth it.
RLKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:55 AM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Stuart
Vessel Name: Passport
Vessel Model: Mainship Sedan Bridge
We have been doing the Bahamas from Florida since we bought our '97 40' Mainship Sedan Bridge in '01. It's a great boat for a couple, even with a couple of kids in the bunks. We have had our granddaughter and as many as three friends for a week at a time over there. Drawback in my mind is only one head, but other than that, a lot of room for a 40' boat.
Our boat is a chevy, not a rolls-royce, and we use it accordingly. Yep, we've been caught on crossings in storms that I considered severe, probably 5-7' seas, and we didn't sink, but we weren't comfortable either. And down below was a mess. But that is the exception. Normal calm crossings are done at 6-7 kts, with essentially no fuel burn on the 4 cylinder Yanmars, yet the ability to pop up to 17 kts cruise @ 20 gph if we want/have to.
Would I love a Nordhauven, you bet. Do I expect to ever own one, even though I could afford it? Probably not. Too many other interest as well as boating.
bykpjfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:04 AM   #27
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andiamo2018 View Post
Think about a boat with a solid fiberglass hull. Safer, longer lasting, better resale.

While worth considering.... no particular hull construction is safer or longer lasting than another depending on its initial construction, maintenance history, and continued care.

My "overbuilt, solid glass hull' was borderline unsafe till I restored it...my cost...little cash ....but huge labor on my part....uneconomical as an owner paying yard costs.

The surveyor missed it totally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo338 (1).jpg
Views:	14
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	94883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo343.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	94884  

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote