Getting Started!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ti22

Thank you all in advance for the information I'm going to acquire.

I'm interested in joining the trawler community by buying a trawler large enough to live aboard and cruise comfortably on.

Now to acquire the information to make a knowledgeable selection for a boat safe enough, large enough, and within our budget.

Thanks again!

Ti22

Thank you all in advance for the information I'm going to acquire.

I'm interested in joining the trawler community by buying a trawler large enough to live aboard and cruise comfortably on.

Now to acquire the information to make a knowledgeable selection for a boat safe enough, large enough, and within our budget.

Thanks again!

Ti22

No such thing...but after living aboard 3 boats of completely different types in 3 different situations/locations I think I have a handle on what works for me.

If you have never lived aboard then there's a whole personal profile that you need to address and we would need to know before even giving the least bit of useful info to your specific case.

Otherwise what works for everyone else may have no bearing on what will work for you.

Sure all the tid bits are useful...but you will have to assemble them like a giant jigsaw puzzle to fit your life.

Good luck!

Thank you all in advance for the information I'm going to acquire. I'm interested in joining the trawler community by buying a trawler large enough to live aboard and cruise comfortably on. Now to acquire the information to make a knowledgeable selection for a boat safe enough, large enough, and within our budget. Thanks again! Ti22
No problem. Welcome aboard!! :thumb:

It's a great life and it ain't that difficult to get up to speed.... look at all the idiots that already do it :)

Welcome! Living aboard is a fantastic lifestyle- made the decision 5 years ago, and we aren't moving back to the dirt anytime soon....

You have lots of research before you- which is the fun part! There are many different interior layouts to choose from, as well as hull configurations (planing, semi-displacement or full displacement), engines, and so much more. If you plan on being a full time liveaboard, now is the time to assess how much you're addicted to stuff....ain't much room on a boat!

Seattle Boat Show starts next week- might be a great place to start your search!

Trucking a GB 36

Can anyone tell me if a Grand Banks 36 can be trucked? We live in Massachusetts, and are looking at some boats in Florida and further. Does the bridge need to be removed for height clearance over-road? If so, how difficult is this? THanks! Jmac

Can anyone tell me if a Grand Banks 36 can be trucked? We live in Massachusetts, and are looking at some boats in Florida and further. Does the bridge need to be removed for height clearance over-road? If so, how difficult is this? THanks! Jmac

Bridge seats and rails up top would need to be removed. With proper bracing the bridge could probably be set on the bow. Why not make the trip on its bottom? You don't get many opportunities for a one way trip on the ICW.

Trucking

Thanks so much Moonstruck! Appreciate the information. While we are both still working, we are trying to conserve time for work on the boat here if and when we more forward. We are planning many trips up and down the coast when we finally get to where you are. (All kids out of school and done with that thing called "work") We are experienced sailors and have done a lot of ocean miles, so we are looking forward to a life in marinas up and down the coast! Cheers! Jmac

Back
Top Bottom