Getting the Hell Out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's great info guys! I love hearing about the good stuff. Unfortunately, $9 per foot doesn't qualify for "good stuff" ;)

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

That's great info guys! I love hearing about the good stuff. Unfortunately, $9 per foot doesn't qualify for "good stuff".

Yup, not inexpensive, one of the reasons we bought the condo slip. I know my slip in our Yacht Club in Tacoma was a lot less expensive. Unfortunately, there was not enough room for our current fat boat there with a waiting list for sailboat slips of that size years long.

OTOH, any summer weekend the Harbor has lots of boats that come from all parts to enjoy the harbor. They are anchored all over this protected harbor. We can go down to the boat, sit in the cockpit and enjoy the view. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If I may sqeek in another comment regarding WA stste.

Taxes on alcohol are out of this world. I paid $55 USD for a 1.75l bottle of Jose Cuervo Tequila that I can buy in over taxed California for $18-20 for the same rot gut booze.

So when I take my wife and three kids and their spouses out for a meal the bar tab easily is way more than the meal itself.

Cannot decide between OR and WA.

Taxes on alcohol are out of this world. I paid $55 USD for a 1.75l bottle of Jose Cuervo Tequila that I can buy in over taxed California for $18-20 for the same rot gut booze.

So when I take my wife and three kids and their spouses out for a meal the bar tab easily is way more than the meal itself.

Wifey B: Solution=Water....:rofl:

Moorage rates in most marinas climbs pretty steadily. When we put our boat in Bellingam in 1998 the moorage fee was about $5.00 per foot. We had a 40 foot slip so the monthly cost was about $200. The port charges by the length of the slip, not the length of the boat unless the boat's on an end tie.

Today the cost of our 45' slip is $415 a month plus electricity. Simply dividing that by the length of the slip yields $11.50 a foot. However the port, like more and more harbors here, uses a formula that combines the length of the slip with the footprint of the boat. So if we had a wider boat it would cost more, a narrower boat would cost less.

We could pay less for a 40' slip but that would mean movng deeper into the harbor and we'd lose our great view and slip location. A number of the boats on our dock are shorter than their slips for the same reason. Also the waiting list for 40-50 foot slips is several years long even though current tenants automatically go to the top of the list. We may need the 45' length in the future so we wnt to hang onto the slip.

Last edited:
It's all perspective. We were shocked how low transient rates were in the PNW with rates from $0.50/ft to a high I believe of $1.75 at Elliott Bay. Here, $3 to $4.50 is not uncommon and some up to $8. The $1.75 that is the high end there would be the low end here. We came back to reality from the PNW and Alaska when we proceeded south, down the coast.

Miami Beach Marina is currently running specials at $28/month (annual lease) and MiaMarina at $17.70. In Dania, I think $18. Lighthouse Point, $25. Now part of that is why many try to rent behind homes. But then some homes are sold knowing rental docks are there. Most of those rates are $6 to $12.

Lol, drink less, boat more. ;)

we are Irish Catholics and like to pull a cork every now and ten.

Wifey B: Amazing what that adds to meal costs. We do drink water like 96.372114% of the time. Just those occasional times in a very nice, fancy restaurant a multi course meal with their wine recommendations. We do tip higher as a percent when drinking water since the wait staff isn't getting the benefit of the higher bill. Very special occasions=champagne.

Talked to the admiral- we pay $311.68 give or take... Includes electric and water. $7.42 per foot- not bad at all. $30 to me could be a fair price given the $mill views that most slips have. :)

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Forklift,
Yeah....I am just about double that in Elliott Bay. I guess if I think about that the difference between 7.00 and 14.00 adds about 5 percent to the total cost of keeping and enjoying the boat. It all adds up, but do not think I am would be interested in giving up what I get there for that difference. Nice facility and million dollar views as you refer to. If I am on the back deck I have the Seattle skyline over the water and can watch fireworks off the Space Needle as I have. If on the front deck I can watch the marine activity on the Sound with the outline of the Olympic Mountains in the background at sunset. Two totally different worlds.......priceless. And convenient to most Seattle amenities and the route I travel between businesses.
I do not think anyone is going to call Seattle cheap in terms of cost of living and cost of fun. Incomes generally commensurate.

Another thing to consider with regards as to where to keep a boat is this:

If one has a slow boat, 6-8 knots, and if one works at a full-time job with a few weeks of vacation a year, if one keeps the boat in the Seattle-Tacoma area, cruises to the islands, San Juan or Gulf, are a once or twice a year proposition depending on vacation times and schedules.

With the same boat and same work schedule, keeping the boat up north--- La Conner, Cornet Bay, Anacortes, Bellingham, Blaine--- means that the San Juans and even the southeastern Gulf Islands are doable for a weekend or three day weekend. Even with our 8 knot boat we can reach anywhere in the San Juans in four hours or less. Some of the really nice spots are less than three hours away.

With a boat like this in the Seattle area, in a weekend one just starts to get within sight of the islands before having to turn around and go home.

This is the main reason we keep our boat up north. We can drive to it at 30mpg in two hours or less, depending on who's driving.:) We will sometimes head up Friday evening when I get home from work, spend the night on the boat, head out early the next morning and have most of Saturday and Sunday at some destination in the islands before heading home Sunday afternoon. The drive back south gets us home between 10 and 11 pm and that's after having a nice dinner in Bellingham with our friends or along the way somewhere.

The other appeal to farther north, of course, is the moorage rates are less. Used to be a lot less but even today they are still lower enough to make it worthwhile. Of course the rate depends on the harbor.

Based on what I've been told, Bellingham's Squalicum Marina, while under the jurisdiction of the the Port of Bellingham and thus the City of Bellingham, has to be self-sustaining. In other words, all the money needed to operate, maintain, and upgrade the marina has to come from the income generated by the marina. No city tax money can be used to finance the marina. Given the ever-increasing cost of everything from electricity to water to labor to materials, the marina's income has to increase to cover it. This income comes from property leases, building leases, slip fees, and probably some other stuff. Compared to moorage rates closer to the Seattle-Tacoma area it's still less expensive up north, just not as less expensive anymore.

Good point Marin. I have a very wealthy friend who kept his 60ft Yatch in Roche Harbor during the nice weather and in Gig Harbor during the winter. Both places have relatively expensive moorage and I believe he had to pay for both year round. He would fly up to Roche on Kenmore Air for long weekends.

I heard from his Dad the other day that he bought a new boat, about 100'. Apparently he is disappointed now as he will need a professional crew. Must be tough having money. ;-)

My wife feels the same way and if it keeps up...we will join the whales and the salmon and depart for more northern waters.

I talked to a boater from Kirkland this week who told me about a place that might appeal to you. Said it is at the north end of Puget Sound. Called it Campbell River.

Forklift,

Yeah....I am just about double that in Elliott Bay. I guess if I think about that the difference between 7.00 and 14.00 adds about 5 percent to the total cost of keeping and enjoying the boat. It all adds up, but do not think I am would be interested in giving up what I get there for that difference. Nice facility and million dollar views as you refer to. If I am on the back deck I have the Seattle skyline over the water and can watch fireworks off the Space Needle as I have. If on the front deck I can watch the marine activity on the Sound with the outline of the Olympic Mountains in the background at sunset. Two totally different worlds.......priceless. And convenient to most Seattle amenities and the route I travel between businesses.

I do not think anyone is going to call Seattle cheap in terms of cost of living and cost of fun. Incomes generally commensurate.

Then there is the 5 star Palisade Restaurant onsite, Maggie Bluffs diner, free local shuttle, walking/biking trail to Seattle, Ballard, Fremont and points beyond, nearby bus stop, ample dock hands to keep the docks clean and help with your lines if needed, onsite marine services, mobile pump out, free self pump out, tenant fuel discounts, free kayak and bike usage, and complimentary coffee and donuts every weekday. I've used all of these amenities except kayak and bike usage. And there are abundant marinas and anchorages with 3 hours for a slow boat. It is a long trip to the San Juans which we usually break into two days, but we are retired and enjoy the stops along the way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom