Getting the Hell Out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With resources like AC today finding fuel and a good marina should be pretty easy. Was the Panama Canal enjoyable?

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

With resources like AC today finding fuel and a good marina should be pretty easy. Was the Panama Canal enjoyable?
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

"Thrilling" but I wouldn't say "enjoyable". It was just an amazing experience. We also went to their center on ground although we didn't get the tour Bill Gates did. He took his family to see the inner workings of the canal for a vacation. But your first time through you'll definitely be a little tense regardless of how much you know you don't need to be. Just the size of the locks and the ships going through is staggering.

Here's a link to his family video.

http://www.gatesnotes.com/About-Bill-Gates/Panama-Canal-Visit

The use of mules (equipment used on tracks beside the canal to control boats...not animals...lol) and the coordination. Just experiencing such an incredible structure for it's time. They were also finishing the new lock while we were there, the one to accommodate even larger boats. It's one of those things, if we were creating a bucket list, we would put on it.

We did use an agent for the canal. People will argue whether to do so or not, but we think it was worth it in making things so easy. Not only did he do everything connected to the canal, he got us a guide to see Panama City and he arranged transportation for our guests who flew in to meet us there. We happened to arrive in Panama City for Carnival. The guide also helped find us a place to watch without being in the madness.

Listen to Marin, the entire west is on fire. Montana has over 100 fires in the west part of the state alone. The Upper Missouri River is feet below normal. Stay away from Seattle, the "Bluest Skies You Ever Seen are in Seattle" are no longer in Seattle, your too busy watching traffic etc. Move your boat to Mexico. There, they want to see you & your boat. Washington & California are out of wack from reality. Happy Trails.

To B&B-:flowers: Hummmm,:blush: Alaska's total population is under one million and five times larger than Texas. I am one of the lucky ones!!:rofl:!

Al-Ketchikan (13,000 and fifth largest "City") in Alaska:whistling::hide:

To B&B-:flowers: Hummmm,:blush: Alaska's total population is under one million and five times larger than Texas. I am one of the lucky ones!!:rofl:!

Wifey B: Yes, but it's.......shhhh...iv.....ering cold there today. 59 degrees I see and gale force system going to come through....:eek:

Meanwhile, 91 degrees here. Sunny. Probably a brief thunderstorm this afternoon but that's no problem. :D

I loved visiting Alaska. I can picture enjoying an escape to some areas there for a while. What I can't picture is me living there. Best we don't all want to live in the same place. Of course, I enjoyed Seattle. Even got into a snowball fight there.

Fact check.
Alaska is 2.5 times the size of Texas.

Fact check.
Alaska is 2.5 times the size of Texas.

Well...last I heard the Texans claimed the surveying was done in the summer and the heat made the surveyors tapes expand and they didn't account for it...that's where that extra 2.5 times came in....:D

Wifey B: Is this where I should insert some comment about men and their exaggeration of size? ;)

I mean like in fishing and things. :)

Wifey B - Great funny. My eyeglasses tell me the fish is 2' long. I like that number!!

Yesterday, near Carquinez Bridge, water temperature 71 degrees, air temperature 75 degrees, wind 15 to 20 mph against a two-knot opposing tide, with choppy waves. The Coot created similar spray:

Marin, I came to Seattle back in 1968 and it's a sure fact that things have changed around here since then. I would not suggest Seattle proper as a place to reside. The towns going crazy with growth and new office buildings popping up every day getting filled with a whole lot of people that make a lot of money and don't really produce anything. The place just doesn't seem "right". I would however suggest a ferry ride to the Kitsap peninsula via Bremerton and check things out on the west side of Puget Sound. Granted the Government in Washington state can surely be annoying and the overall stupidity is seamingly every where but there is nowhere more beautiful to boat than on Puget Sound and north to Canadian waters. Sure when winter hits it can rain a lot and feel gloomy so book a trip to Palm Springs and lay on a rock lizard style for a while. If your looking for a great place to hang out on a boat then this is it.

Good Luck!

I grew up in Hawaii and so have had more than my quota of blue sky and sun. One of the major attractions for me of the entire coast from Puget Sound on up through BC and SE Alaska is the overcast, rain, fog and snow. The more it rains the better I like it and both my wife and I really enjoy boating in the fog when we can. The rain and overcast make the fishing better and make the whole place more interesting. I've hated this summer with its endless string of 80 and 90 degree sunny days. My wife feels the same way and if it keeps up and becomes the new normal, which it's predicted to do as the climate continues to change, we will join the whales and the salmon and depart for more northern waters.

Last edited:
Anybody remember the Lil Abner character Joe Btfsplk?

As I see it the problem with the northwest and the Seattle area in particular is largely a consequence of the huge population growth. I notice it every time I go back. The place is stuffed with people from other places (Hawaii, Florida, California and abroad). I would move back in a minute if the population of Washington went back to the 2 million of my youth, when you seldom met anyone who wasn't from Washington, particularly outside of Seattle. If I do move back some day, I won't live in or near Seattle.

As I see it the problem with the northwest and the Seattle area in particular is largely a consequence of the huge population growth. I notice it every time I go back. The place is stuffed with people from other places (Hawaii, Florida, California and abroad). I would move back in a minute if the population of Washington went back to the 2 million of my youth, when you seldom met anyone who wasn't from Washington, particularly outside of Seattle. If I do move back some day, I won't live in or near Seattle.

We are also looking into the areas more Northern as have been suggested. The headline, for me anyway, is getting to live a board. I suspect most major cities are not what they use to be- but for some of us "country folk" it is still awesome :). We were in Chicago in July- and other than the drive from Midway- found the city exceptionally clean, landscaped and beautiful. Patricia's uncle who we visited in Indiana while on our trip, would have preferred us to stay out of the "city" for safety's sake. But he hasn't been there in years. His opinion I suspect is hugely influenced by the evening news :).

So.... if we landed in a live a board marina on Lake Union for a while I think I could dig that.
On our first trip to Seattle last September we took in a day and a half of the city prior to our cruise and enjoyed every moment. The seafood and flowers at Pike market were beyond anything we have found (Kemah has great Gulf fish markets) and it was refreshing to see the positive attitudes within the city. Like it or not, the area is loaded with great jobs (and great salaries I suspect) and that is the draw to the area along with the beautiful water that abounds for boating. Luckily not many of these new "folks" are boaters.
And for me- life is a compromise. My first choice would probably be Juneau. At least during the moderate months ;).

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Before you go to the expense of shipping the boat there, have you found a marina (to live aboard from) yet? I would tend to think finding a desirable place to moor ( that allows full time live aboard) would be of the first order. I know many places that are trying to close down or limit live aboards. Would be a bummer if you shipped the boat there and had to reside in the boondocks (as it were)

Folivier- vaguely. I wasn't born till 1959 ;)!
I'm about to google it. Thought the spelling was maybe wrong.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Anybody remember the Lil Abner character Joe Btfsplk?

Ahhh.
So he does exist. In cartoons and in the .... ;)!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

We are also looking into the areas more Northern as have been suggested. The headline, for me anyway, is getting to live a board. I suspect most major cities are not what they use to be- but for some of us "country folk" it is still awesome :). We were in Chicago in July- and other than the drive from Midway- found the city exceptionally clean, landscaped and beautiful. Patricia's uncle who we visited in Indiana while on our trip, would have preferred us to stay out of the "city" for safety's sake. But he hasn't been there in years. His opinion I suspect is hugely influenced by the evening news :).

So.... if we landed in a live a board marina on Lake Union for a while I think I could dig that.
On our first trip to Seattle last September we took in a day and a half of the city prior to our cruise and enjoyed every moment. The seafood and flowers at Pike market were beyond anything we have found (Kemah has great Gulf fish markets) and it was refreshing to see the positive attitudes within the city. Like it or not, the area is loaded with great jobs (and great salaries I suspect) and that is the draw to the area along with the beautiful water that abounds for boating. Luckily not many of these new "folks" are boaters.
And for me- life is a compromise. My first choice would probably be Juneau. At least during the moderate months ;).

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Captain and Admiral Fork,
I think if you arrive Seattle with the attitude expressed in the quote above, you are going to love the place.
I am a small town guy. Grew up in a town of 3800 and currently live where the closest town is 200. Twenty years ago I had a bad attitude and hated Seattle. My boat is now moored there and I find the place quite charming as cities go. I am sure it helps if your lifestyle gives you the latitude to avoid rush hours and the big event venues.
The official statement of our Marina says no live aboard. I am aware of at least three on my pier alone
Would love to host you for a cold one or a toddy (weather depending) during your upcoming visit if you look me up. Regardless, welcome to Seattle!

That's mighty neighborly of you Bill. :). And an offer I'm sure we will take you up on. Please PM your contact info and I'll get in touch as our date solidifies.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

For want of somewhere less drifty, for info not quite worth its own thread, 71 Aussie bushfire/wildfire firefighters just flew out of Sydney heading your way, responding to a request for help fighting fires burning in USA.
They will know what they are doing, they get plenty of practice here, but do lay in a good stock of cold beer.

Hey, people like different things. If some of them are dumb enough to love living in a city that's below sea level and then act all shocked and surprised when it floods, it's a sure bet there will be others who love to live in the Seattle area...

You just described New Orleans.
And while not below sea level, look at the flooding we've seen in Florida lately. But people keep coming. Gotta be something there.

... As for BandB's statement that I'd hate where he lives, that's spot on. I cannot imagine a worse region in the US to live except South California...

Seriously?
Looks like we bit the bullet on that one lol

...I've been to Florida for work several times. What I and my crew came away with is that Florida is a place that's dead flat and always on fire ...

Nah, we can do much worse than that:) lol

My apologies to the forum,:flowers: Yes Alaska is 2.5 larger than Texas. Was carried away and thought I could pull a fast one! :angel: When you view any map depicting the U.S. as a country, we share about the same size as Hawaiian Islands. thought I could slip one by.:D When you overlay the lower 48 states with Alaska the appearance sure looks like 5 times larger than Texas.:whistling:

Al.:hide:

My apologies to the forum,:flowers: Yes Alaska is 2.5 larger than Texas. Was carried away and thought I could pull a fast one! :angel: When you view any map depicting the U.S. as a country, we share about the same size as Hawaiian Islands. thought I could slip one by.:D When you overlay the lower 48 states with Alaska the appearance sure looks like 5 times larger than Texas.:whistling:

Al.:hide:

Wifey B: It's got a thousand times more water and undeveloped land. :D And tens of thousands more Alaskans. :)

For want of somewhere less drifty, for info not quite worth its own thread, 71 Aussie bushfire/wildfire firefighters just flew out of Sydney heading your way, responding to a request for help fighting fires burning in USA.
They will know what they are doing, they get plenty of practice here, but do lay in a good stock of cold beer.

Thanks for the help! We wish them a productive, short, and safe stay!

That's great for Australia to do that. Yesterday we drove up to the boat and the smoke on the west side of the mountains from the fires on the east side was so heavy that visibility was reduced to just a few very hazy miles. The wind shifted later in the day and started blowing it out of the northern Sound area, but down in the southwestern part of the state, particularly along the Columbia River, the smoke was so heavy that the air quality was listed as red, which means serious health hazard.

Interesting read. I quite liked Seattle, but then I was just visiting and understand the difference to living there. I do think its one of the nicer USA cities to visit. I spent time to the north (Edmonds as a liveaboard for a time) and in Port Townsend, where I lived on and off for a year during a boat refit. I got a kick out of folks there saying 'welcome home' after getting back there from one of my regular visits back to Australia. I have fond memories of Washington and folks I met while there.

Then when I put the boat on a ship bound for Australia I drove through BC, the Yukon and Alaska before catching the 'Blue Canoe" back to Prince Rupert and continuing my road trip. Now yes it was only a short visit but some impressions are vivid and I think informative and accurate. I have to say that the Alaskan towns that get the cruise ships have been thoroughly ruined. I got really annoyed at the number of diamond/jewellery stores taking up good space in main streets of places like Skagway and Juneau. Then the ships stop coming, a lot of transient workers leave and the streets are full of shops locked for the season. Really depressing. As I had my car I could see a bit more of Juneau than the old town that is either full of cruise ship tourists or deserted, but it was still a bit disappointing. I had always wanted to do an Inside Passage cruise, preferably on one of the smaller vessels. But not anymore. The cruise ships are very much a mixed blessing for Alaska. I certainly would not want to live any place they visited.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom