Old 01-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #1

City: Punta.Gorda
First time power boater (trawler)

We close on a trawler this month. We are going from a 47 foot sailboat to a 43 foot trawler. We have never owned a power boat and Iím looking for input. We will be bringing it to Punta Gorda FL from Maryland. Are there areas we need to watch for?

Captains Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:25 PM   #2

City: Newport Beach
Vessel Name: Open Gate II
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 423 Classico
Long sail

A sailboat had just moored next to us in Catalina and the sailor declared that a 14 hour sail from San Diego was just too much then asked about our trawler.

rmatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:40 PM   #3
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
I could strongly argue to get a training captain and make the deliver a training event. A good capt should know the waters and issues with that run.

And, if you haven't done that run in a power boat, there's many places that have their issues. I've had several "issue" places in my Mainship 400. Chesapeake Bay is big enough for issues, Dismal Swamp, Abermerle Inlet, Catherines Inlet, Neuse River, Hell Gate, Little Mud River, Jekyll island, Daytona Beach, Lake Okeechobee and the canal. Nothing impossible, mostly current, tide or wave issues, but something to be aware about and plan accordingly. I've only done it once, so I'll let the most experience comment
Old 01-12-2019, 02:41 PM   #4
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Welcome aboard! I always enjoy it when sailors find the light!
Punta Gorda / Charlotte Harbor is a wonderful cruising area and jumping off point for longer cruises.

What is the draft of your new boat? Lots of shallow water in SW Florida. Carry a dinghy thatís easy to launch so you can explore the shallow areas.

Others on this forum can tell you about crossing Lake Okeechobee.
O C Diver, Ted, is who you want to talk to. He makes that trip every year.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:52 PM   #5

City: Hughesville, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Welcome! Post pics of your new boat!
Capt Bob Sherer on his sailboat 'Fleetwing' has made the trip several times and contributes to Active Captain and the Waterway Guide with updates on skinny water and the anchorages and marinas he frequents along the way. I see on the page I linked to that he's recently had medical issues, and there may not be recent updates, but his blog prior to his break for the holidays is a good read and very informative. I wish him the best!

Good luck with your trip south. Keep us posted on your progress.
GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #6

City: punta gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43MY
A lot of Georgia can be problematic with shoaling/shallow water. The infamous Hell Gate is impassable around low tide for all but the shallowest draft boats. We were turned back at low tide at 3PM, anchored at Green Island (nice, quiet anchorage), then went outside early the next morning and ran all the way to Jacksonville. Okeechobee Waterway is fine, crossing the lake is not a big problem unless there’s a stiff, beam wind, then it’s a PITA (ask me how I know). Make sure your screens are in good shape before trying Okeechobee. I was swatting bugs in the boat for three weeks after tying up at Roland Martin’s. Very useful to have charts and Active Captain on an iPad - after dinner every night, we reviewed our next day’s route, read all the recent notes and cautions, and marked what we thought was important with waypoints. Whoever’s navigating can then scan ahead on the iPad the next day while underway and remind the captain a couple of miles ahead of problem areas.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #7

City: USA
Vessel Model: 1983 Trojan F44 FBMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
I could strongly argue to get a training captain and make the deliver a training event. A good capt should know the waters and issues with that run.

And, if you haven't done that run in a power boat, there's many places that have their issues. I've had several "issue" places in my Mainship 400. Chesapeake Bay is big enough for issues, Dismal Swamp, Abermerle Inlet, Catherines Inlet, Neuse River, Hell Gate, Little Mud River, Jekyll island, Daytona Beach, Lake Okeechobee and the canal. Nothing impossible, mostly current, tide or wave issues, but something to be aware about and plan accordingly. I've only done it once, so I'll let the most experience comment

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

Welcome to the site!
Flybull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:16 PM   #8
Guru

I donít know how much training heís going to need. After all heís been driving a big badly designed power boat with silly looking poles sticking out of it for years.

You know those sailboaters, any excuse to start the engine and actually go somewhere.

Seriously the guy isnít a newby to boats. A few hours check out on the systems and some practice docking and he should be good to go.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:49 PM   #9

City: punta gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43MY
Forgot to mention McClellanvile, SC. For several miles on both sides, it’s a slalom run of crab buoys in a sometimes narrow channel. Crabbers don’t hesitate to string traps right across the channel, and the big tide range makes submerged buoys likely. We hit a submerged buoy when we thought we were clear of the hazard area, and had to dive to clear the fouled prop. I think I added a hazard note to Active Captain at the time.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:20 PM   #10
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I donít know how much training heís going to need. After all heís been driving a big badly designed power boat with silly looking poles sticking out of it for years.

You know those sailboaters, any excuse to start the engine and actually go somewhere.

Seriously the guy isnít a newby to boats. A few hours check out on the systems and some practice docking and he should be good to go.
Parks,

He didn't say that, but would be nice if someone asked for advise they could give a bit of background.

So, a good check out on the specific boat would be fine, and perhaps a route briefing from an expert like Ted.

Heck, I was brand new at it last year when I headed north. Got a ton of good briefings, and the AGLCA harbor hosts were excellent with local info. Ran pretty smooth for the most part.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:38 PM   #11
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Welcome aboard.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #12
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Local knowledge. When in doubt, call out on the VHF and ask.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Parks,

He didn't say that, but would be nice if someone asked for advise they could give a bit of background.

So, a good check out on the specific boat would be fine, and perhaps a route briefing from an expert like Ted.

Heck, I was brand new at it last year when I headed north. Got a ton of good briefings, and the AGLCA harbor hosts were excellent with local info. Ran pretty smooth for the most part.
He did say he was stepping up from a 47 foot snailboat to a 43 ft Trawler. I assumed he had some basic boat skills already. Them snailboaters arenít all as dumb as they look and this one was smart enough to get a Trawler.