First step in Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wave gazer

Hello TF members - first time poster here. If this post is not in the correct forum, please let me know.

I would like to know if there are any members in the Galveston, Houston, Corpus Christi Texas area that would be willing to allow me to spend a weekend with them on their vessel so that I can get a small taste of the live aboard life as well as cruising on the ocean. I would do tasks and of course pay a reasonable fee for this opportunity.

Sailing doesn't appeal to me.

The purpose of the expedition is for me to take one of the first steps in trying to find out if live aboard life and the ocean may be in my future. I only have inland lake recreational experience with a previously owned 28' motor boat. I have gone out on fishing charters (lots of people, fishing, catching each others lines) in the Gulf and not gotten sea sick, but who know what could happen.

If this concept is considered kind of weird, I apologize - not trying to be weird, just trying to save $$ and learn from someone who really likes what they are doing rather than paying a business for a charter.

If there is another way for me to take this kind of first step I am open to hearing about it. Of course I have been doing lots of reading about life style, boats, seamanship, etc. I don't want to buy a boat and then figure out it is not for me. I have my share of bad decisions already made.

Thanks from Austin, Texas.
(my profile info is accurate, but limited of course)

Last edited:
Welcome aboard and good luck with your quest. We are currently in Florida otherwise I am sure we could have accommodated you for a weekend.

Welcome aboard, we're in Galveston. Not sure if you'll get any takers on an overnight, since we primarily work on our own boats and they tend to be a bit on the messy side, depending on which project is in the process of being completed.

If you're in Galveston, ping me and you're welcome to see our boat, if our Gulfstar is available you can see a smaller trawler too.

-victor

Howdy! From a Galveston Aggie.

Unfortunately the boat I have that you would want to spend the night on is in Washington. Most people don't care about sleeping out on the 24' El Pescador.

You can charter a boat in whatever area you are interested in cruising. If you think you are lacking experience in boat size, geographic area you can get a captain for not too much more.

Ken

Howdy, Wave-Gazer.....I'm living aboard in the Clear Lake, Kemah area.....hit me up private and we can discuss your "weird, lol" request.

Hello TF members - first time poster here. If this post is not in the correct forum, please let me know.

I would like to know if there are any members in the Galveston, Houston, Corpus Christi Texas area that would be willing to allow me to spend a weekend with them on their vessel so that I can get a small taste of the live aboard life as well as cruising on the ocean. I would do tasks and of course pay a reasonable fee for this opportunity.

Sailing doesn't appeal to me.

The purpose of the expedition is for me to take one of the first steps in trying to find out if live aboard life and the ocean may be in my future. I only have inland lake recreational experience with a previously owned 28' motor boat. I have gone out on fishing charters (lots of people, fishing, catching each others lines) in the Gulf and not gotten sea sick, but who know what could happen.

If this concept is considered kind of weird, I apologize - not trying to be weird, just trying to save $$ and learn from someone who really likes what they are doing rather than paying a business for a charter.

If there is another way for me to take this kind of first step I am open to hearing about it. Of course I have been doing lots of reading about life style, boats, seamanship, etc. I don't want to buy a boat and then figure out it is not for me. I have my share of bad decisions already made.

Thanks from Austin, Texas.
(my profile info is accurate, but limited of course)

You're a swinger aren't you?

Go on, admit it. And post a picture of your Sig Other.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and your suggestions. Right now I have a lot of questions and will slowly search out the answers. Thanks again.

If I might piggyback on your post...

I came down to Kemah in my travel trailer last week to take sailing lessons. I'm still leaning toward a trawler, but there don't seem to be any available for charter. I'll be here for at least three more weeks, and would gladly fill tanks, beer fridges, and bellies for a chance to go out on a trawler and see what the ride is like compared to a sailboat. Is anybody hungry, thirsty, and out of diesel? :)

Greetings,
Welcome aboard, if I missed you. I think I can save you the $$ on food, firewater and fuel re: Trawler vs sail...

Trawler:

giphy.gif

Sail boat:

mon2.gif

'nuff said...

Ha! I certainly agree with your sentiment. I decided to take sailing lessons to confirm that I prefer a trawler, but people keep telling me that I'm more likely to get sick on a trawler. My trawler experience was 20 years ago on a 100-ish foot training vessel. I remember feeling pretty queasy only a few times, but cookies were tossed while acting as navigator during some constant rolling action. I just want to find a liveaboard boat I can safely take to interesting places without being completely miserable underway!

That's a really accurate description, RT. A couple of weeks ago a sailboat & I tackled the "nasty" Neuse River in NC. It was about a 5' chop and a 20+ kt north wind. At the end of the day we compared notes on the crossing discussing the constant pounding and such, I commented about having to run the wipers all day. His problem was not wipers, it was the cold bucket of water in the face every 30 seconds or so for hours. He has my respect.

I am not a sailor.

Rafe

That's a really accurate description, RT. A couple of weeks ago a sailboat & I tackled the "nasty" Neuse River in NC. It was about a 5' chop and a 20+ kt north wind. At the end of the day we compared notes on the crossing discussing the constant pounding and such, I commented about having to run the wipers all day. His problem was not wipers, it was the cold bucket of water in the face every 30 seconds or so for hours. He has my respect.

I am not a sailor.

Rafe

Rafe

How fast did you go in that chop?

About 7 kts was all I could make ( or take ). A wise captain would have pulled in at Oriental, NC. Apparently that didn't apply to me.

Rafe

KDTX, a friend of mine is single handling his trawler back to Galveston from Florida. His wife had to fly home due to a family illness. I bet he would welcome a hand. PM me if interested and I will give you his number. He is currently in Destin I believe.

Ahh. Single handing from FL to Texas brings back memories.

Memories, from the corner of my mind...??

LOL, I remember it well!!

KDTX, a friend of mine is single handling his trawler back to Galveston from Florida. His wife had to fly home due to a family illness. I bet he would welcome a hand. PM me if interested and I will give you his number. He is currently in Destin I believe.
Hope that's not Ray and hs wife.

Nominal is currently aboard a well found 46 vessel, departing Destin today. Lets hope he has a pleasant trip, buys a trawler, becomes a contributing TF member and lives happily ever after!

Last edited:
Wave Gazer is currently aboard a well found 46 vessel, departing Destin today. Lets hope he has a pleasant trip, buys a trawler, becomes a contributing TF member and lives happily ever after!
What, we have a stowaway?!

Wave Gazer started this thread months ago, but I'm the one who slipped aboard last night in Destin. Thanks for reaching out and getting me the hookup!

Ooops let me edit that! Hopefully you will document your travels on a new thread so we can all follow? That lazy buzzard with you won't do it!

Last edited:
Ooops let me edit that! Hopefully you will document your travels on a new thread so we can all follow? That lazy buzzard with you won't do it!
I'll be sure to snap some pictures and share the experience! So far, the skipper has shown great hospitality as he showed me around Destin. This is a fun place, but we'll be underway as soon as this thunderstorm rolls through.
img_439027_0_8e87d025fa19a8c1ba47ca0f0957de47.jpg

Well Congrats Nominal! I share Dimer2's wishes. Smooth Sailing, and happy trails (can't help that part, I'm from Wyoming a looooooooooong time ago!)

Nominal:thumb:
Your on a very salty rig-I salivate evertime I see it. Count your blessings-you'll have a great trip

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom