? on eagle trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Ithaka
Vessel Make
Duffy 45
I am looking at several eagle trawlers, 40', for use in the Pac. NW.
Any comments on: mfgr, seakeeping, preferred power plant, etc?

I had a 1980 and I liked it had 120 lehman and did 7 knts at 1700 rpm burned about 2 gals an hour with the genny going,mine was built with fiberglass under the teak decks which was a big plus,no leaks on the fuel tanks.i ran it back and forth from ny to florida every year for 6 yrs and never had a problem

I'm going to assume you mean the Transpac Eagle 40?

After 17 years with out previous boat, (a 36 Sundowner tug), we switched to a 40' Eagle three summers ago. Spent over 5 weeks aboard this summer on a long cruise in the Pacific NW. We are very pleased with the boat. Good sea boat for coastal cruising. We burned 2 gph, including generator and diesel furnace, for 100 engine hours between fuel ups.

Here's a link to a current magazine article about Eagle 40 Trawlers

Pacific Nor

I looked at one last time I was boat shopping. I liked it a lot, but, I spend about 95% of my driving time and most of the socializing on the flying bridge and I preffered the FB of the Monk so wound up buying it.

My favorite boat (except power) is the Eagle 32.

My favorite boat (except power) is the Eagle 32.

Hello Eric,
Could you please expand on this comment? Why is the Eagle 32 your favorite boat, and what do you mean by "(except power)"?

I ask because I'm interested in possibly buying an Eagle 32 trawler.

Thanks,
Craig

Eastsounder-if you are interested in a 40' Eagle, I think there is one for sale at Shilshole. I think Seattle Yachts has the listing. I wlk past it a couple of time a week but I don't remember what the price was.

Thanks, THD. Looks like that Eagle 40 is listed at $280K -- a bit rich for me, unfortunately. That's why I've been more in the market for Eagle 32s, or possibly a GB 36. Cheers, C

Eagle 32: i think there is one for sale, and out of the water in Blaine Wa. It is at Blaine Marine, for sale by Sunchaser Yachts. Don't know the particulars. Dan

Thanks Dan. I've seen that listing on YW. Hoping to get up to Blaine to see it one of these days.
Cheers,
Craig

I am looking at a Eagle 40 Extended Sedan, and would appreciate comments on it. How about the teak decks? Are these over fiberglass? Any leakage Probs? Also point out where to look for rot-leakage sites on board.
Would appreciate any advice.

Hello Eric,
Could you please expand on this comment? Why is the Eagle 32 your favorite boat, and what do you mean by "(except power)"?

I ask because I'm interested in possibly buying an Eagle 32 trawler.

Thanks,
Craig

The Eagle 32is my favorite size and cabin configuration .. like a Nordic Tug. But unlike the NT the Eagle 32 is a full disp boat and requires much less power than the SD. VERY few boats fall into that classification. She's very good looking and has a very clever and useful fly bridge .. or FB alternative.

On the downside they are almost all around $100K (too much for me) and have too much power. Many have the 4cyl and if you think it is smooth enough and like an old British engine (think Triumph MG ect) that has overheating problems (read this site) you may be happy w it. I hear the 4cyl Lehman's do shake a bit. Eighty hp is even too much for the E32 but many E32s (probably over half) have the 6 cyl 120 hp Lehman VERY overpowered. With a SD hull like the NT 120hp would be appropriate but that's at least double what the E32 hull requires. Please take note of the fact that you are reading an OPINION. Many may/will disagree w me. If I could find one cheap so I could afford to repower w a 55hp engine like a Yanmar or Isuzu I could have what I want ... but I haven't seen one yet.

Many people here live w overpowered Lehman engined boats and are quite satisfied. The boat itself is great. Don't know of any structural problems or other but I am not in a position to know either. In short I love the boat but not the power.

Last edited:
Thanks, Eric -- you've confirmed some of my own impressions about the E32. I'd like to learn more about the overpowering issue with FD hulls. I'm sure there are plenty of discussions about it in the forum archives, so I have some interesting searching to do ...
Cheers,
Craig

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom