Old 06-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #1

City: North Miami
NEW @ TF..please help

Hello to all..I'm new at TF..just got in..I live in North Miami FL and Im looking into buying a trawler or a flybridge..I searched through different web sites..I'm only 33yrs starting a family...I looked into trawler for their space...I head up you guys can give me and brands in particular..I was looking @ Albin's////are they good???
RED_DEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Welcome aboard.
You found the right place and I`m sure the Albin enthusiasts will respond, meantime take a look at the current thread "Present v Albin"(do a search using the search facility, and explore the Albin section in the Trawler Builder Forums (scroll down the index page).
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #3

City: Silverado, CA
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Nimble Wanderer
In general any boat is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. The better boats cost more and the worse boats cost less. If you find a free boat, run away, because you probably can't afford it.

We all hope to find a bargain, but when it sounds too good to be true it usually is.

We can't read your mind and tell you what you want. If you can tell us what you want we might be able to suggest some brands to look at. However, learning what you really want usually takes a lot of research and learning. You might try some charters too. The quickest way to figure out if a boat works for you is to live on it for a week or two.
portager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #4

City: North Miami
thank you Bruce K & Portager for your replies...I looked online at an Albin 2002 Express for 149K..what do you guys know about this boat....does this trawler roll a lot? is it seaworthy??Like I said , we are looking for a nice size boat for the weekend to head down to the keys with no problem...
RED_DEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
The Albin express trawler is a neat boat. It would work well for a couple and maybe a small child or two. The interior is a little small bit you are rewarded with an excellent layout topside...which is why we boat. Are you looking for speed??? The particular boat you are looking at has a single Cummins 450hp. Which is a good engine and it appears to be well maintained. But, you may be able to cruise in the low teens and that would be about it. If that doesn't bother you, then cool. I do believe that boat is a bit high priced for the single engine version. But again, it does appear to be well kept. That boat has been on the market for about 6-8 months with no price reduction. Anyway....I was in that market so that is why I know.

If you are interested in that boat, the Mainship 350/390 was the direct competitor to that boat. It is even less likely to be powered to cruise at planing speeds....if that is what you are looking for. But in comparison, I think the Albin is a slightly better built boat. The Albin has a better exterior layout and the Mainship appears roomier inside. Some of the newer Generation Mainships(2004 and newer) are starting to get into that price range.

If you want speed in a trawler then your choices get very narrow...and expensive!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
Guru

City: Here
You need to educate yourself before you even go look at boats.
Try Marine Survey 101 for starters
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote