Converted Sailor - Pilot 30

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am looking at a 34 now, with twins...... I would need to put in a gen set and a second air for the helm area. This boat has a completely enclosed helm area, hard top and aft bulkhead.

Any reason you chose the port side bench for the cockpit air and not the starboard or maybe a split unit using the engine room and say, the starboard bench? I spent an hour or more with a service guy looking at how the 2nd AC might get installed.....

I am looking at a 34 now, with twins...... I would need to put in a gen set and a second air for the helm area. This boat has a completely enclosed helm area, hard top and aft bulkhead.

Any reason you chose the port side bench for the cockpit air and not the starboard or maybe a split unit using the engine room and say, the starboard bench? I spent an hour or more with a service guy looking at how the 2nd AC might get installed.....

Sharkey, I added a 16,000 btuh reverse cycle unit on the helm deck of a Pilot 34. We put it under the port side bench. We got a unit that the blower motor tucked in instead of protruding out. A little more expensive, but a better unit. A 16,000 was probably a little overkill, but a 10 would be a little small. Maybe a 12 would work. We put ducts to the sides of the helm and navigator seats plus one other. It really added to the living space. We had a 5 kw gen that would pull it all.

I am waiting on quotes now (gen set, AC, auto pilot, radar,) to see if I am even going to make an offer on this boat. I really like the enclosed helm, aft bulkhead and all..... There is a new AC unit that is a 16 and will fit in the same location you installed it on your 34.

I am waiting on quotes now (gen set, AC, auto pilot, radar,) to see if I am even going to make an offer on this boat. I really like the enclosed helm, aft bulkhead and all..... There is a new AC unit that is a 16 and will fit in the same location you installed it on your 34.

You best be sitting down when that quote comes in. If I had to guess....at least $20k and I think I might be on the low end....

There's a good article in the new (January) issue of Power & Motoryacht about a fellow who customized, and seriously updated a old Mainship 34.

FYI, there is a new AC unit for sale on eBay
Original equip Mainship marine air conditioning 16000 BTU 115V w/ controls

Jack... I sure like my 34T, single 370 Yanmar. My survey revealed no serious flaws, and for the 2 of us, interior room is adequate. Good luck with your search, and please post pics along the way.

Still searching! ;-)

Back
Top Bottom