Old 06-14-2015, 01:15 PM   #21

City: SoCal
Vessel Name: Foresight
Vessel Model: 1968 Hunter Boat Corp, Suisun Bay
That sounds typical of other forums. I have often just cut-and-pasted useful items into a named MSWord file for future reference, but if they are retained here, I guess I just need to start using the proper tags for easy retrieval.

Also, based on your earlier response about searches, e.g., on "anchor" - I take it the search engine does not search the entire text, but only tags, right?

Salishseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:55 AM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
The search engine has several modes. There is a list of most used tags you can select from. I use the advanced mode and the search engine looks at all the text to find matches to my keyword or phrase. Best thing is probably to experiment with the search function's various modes of operation and determine which one(s) works best for you.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:10 AM   #23

Sounds good. I am looking forward to exploring discussions of various brands. Have spent the past few days on Yachtworld, and frankly, it is a bit overwhelming. I've always been partial (visually) to Grand Banks, but Ocean Alexanders look interesting, as to a number of other brands. Am hoping to find comments about building/construction integrity for open ocean (San Diego to BC) travel on her bottom, etc.

I'll also look at the common search tags, although for comments on quality/integrity, your suggestion of advanced 'text' searches sounds about right. Last question -- where are you based?

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:46 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -
Another resource for boat make information is David Pascoe's website. Pascoe is a retired marine surveyor and he has generated a lot of material-- books, etc.--- about boats. His reviews can be very useful in helping determine what to be on the lookout for when contemplating a particular make and model.

However..... his reviews should be treated as a single data point as they do not always reflect a general reality. He is VERY opinionated and bit full of himself, so keep that in mind when reading his stuff. However, his writings can be a very useful resource to someone contemplating buying a boat. http://www.yachtsurvey.com/boatrevie...boatreview.htm

There is a pretty good Passagemaker article on "Taiwanese Trawlers," the generic name used for the large number of cruisers produced in Taiwan during the 70s and 80s. These include makes like CHB, Puget Trawler, Marine Trader, Roughwater, Albin etc. The article talks about the good and bad aspects of these boats. http://www.baris.net/boats/lf3/pdf/a...e_trawlers.pdf
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:20 PM   #25

Ah, David Pascoe! I read his review of my former home (a LaFitte 44) - yeah -- that's a sail boat with a big stick (65') and 2-3 sails. Some was on point, and some, well, he just never lived and cruised the boat as I had.

So I appreciate the reference to his site... I haven't seen other reviews by him, but the salt shaker will be weighed carefully!! Thanks, too, for the "Taiwanese Trawlers" -- interestingly, my LaFitte 44 was one of those - 1978, built by Chung Hwa shipyard!!

Tags