Old 12-15-2017, 10:25 AM   #1

City: Chocowinity, (Cypress Landing) NC
Vessel Name: Boatwright
Vessel Model: Camano 31
Camano - North Carolina

New member, Camano 31 since July. Looking forward to connecting to other Camano owners. Specific questions:
Prop size - my 2005 has a 20x18, thought 20x20 was standard.
Generator output: Mine measures 13.65 v underway at 1600 RPM - seems low compared to car/truck with lesser draw.
Electronics: Thinking about updating. Can a radar unit be screened on two Multi function displays? My OEM Raymarine radar displays only on the fly bridge.

I welcome input/suggestions. (First diesel, fixed prop after 3 sailboats, coastal fishing and ski boat stern drives.....trawlers are a new and wonderful world for me!)
NCheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:45 AM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
What rpm do you reach at wot? Buy a phototach from EBay or Amazon for less than $50 since helm tachs are often inaccurate. Reaching the rated rpm (3,800) at wot is the true test of having the right prop.

Generator- Assume you mean engine alternator. 13.65V is about right. Do you need to recharge batteries faster underway? There are solutions- a high output alternator and external regulator such as from Balmar.

New radar/chartplotters from Garmin or Raymarine can have two displays. But most Camanos even though they have a lower helm, don't have a permanent helm seat. Some have a fold up lower seat. So the lower helm is rarely used.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:50 PM   #3

City: Chocowinity, (Cypress Landing) NC
Vessel Name: Boatwright
Vessel Model: Camano 31
Thanks! TAMD41-D turns exactly 3800 at WOT with 20x18 and a fairly clean hull. Boat came w/o Camano manual, but with all component manuals. Problem is that my cabin helm 12 year old Raymarine C-80 goes dark when battery voltage drops to around 13.65, while shore charge brings battery charge up to 14.5v, at which C-80 works fine. So, I've figured that the problem is the C-80. Mechanic tested alternator and house and start batteries, pronounced all good. Your feedback adds to that conclusion - it's the old C-80. My car and truck run up to 14.7 after long period without running, ease over next 30 minutes. C-80 and old 4,000 watt radar are reasons I'm looking at new tech, including safer 40 watt pulse radar. Hate to replace all electronics, but in my planned ownership cycle - probably 12 years, now is actually a good time. I do have the lower fixed helm seat, love it, retreat from sun/glare, steadier in rough water, better access to my paper charts (overkill to back up i-pad and MFDs? Guilty.....) RI - so beautiful! So many interesting harbors and vessels up there!
NCheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:04 PM   #4
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCheaven View Post
Electronics: Thinking about updating. Can a radar unit be screened on two Multi function displays? My OEM Raymarine radar displays only on the fly bridge.
You should address that question to a Raymarine dealer. The bandwidth from radar communications is much higher than most other marine electronics and requires ethernet type bandwidth instead of much slower NMEA 0183 or 2000 communications. Raymarine may sell an ethernet hub that will permit that. Newer MFDs will have the same issue as older ones.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:16 PM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Since the early 2000's, I believe 2 multifunction displays can usually repeat screen data. It does take the correct networking.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:05 PM   #6
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Since the early 2000's, I believe 2 multifunction displays can usually repeat screen data. It does take the correct networking.
My 2001 or 2002 Ray mfds are networked (Ray proprietary). Either can show sonar, radar, ancient chartplotter, or any two of the above.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote