Bonjour!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldmarlin

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
rhea 650
Hello everyone!

Despite from south of France (apologize for my bad English), I like much reading your web-site!

In France, we have not so many designs of Trawlers...
I'm interested in small ones, and someday would ask your advice about some of them!

After sailing, motorsailing (Drascombe/Nantucket Clipper from Alan Buchanan) along Mediterranean Coast towards Spain, now retired I plan motor-cruising slowly along quiet rivers mainly (Rhône River, canals in France) with dog and bicycle on top of deck...just to find the right boat for this.

Thanks for Bienvenue!

I went to your thread about cruising the French canals: very interesting to listen how you see it, I learn some points!

Unhappily, along Canal du Midi 42000 plane trees (platanes) are totally sick, many of them have to be cut...some medical-treatment have begun, only recently.

Welcome to the forum!

Ted

Welcome aboard!

Parlevu a huma huma.....whew.....old Cheech and Chong days.

Now, I'll go watch the video.

Welcome aboard. True, you may not have a great many trawler designs there, but power-house French influences like Fontaine Pajot keep pumping out modern trawler-style designs in both mono-hull and cat configurations.

Welcome from Louisiana!

Thanks every one for your Welcome message!

Sure there are some big trawler inspired boat here in France.

I'm looking at small designs, such as the many many small designs you have in North-America of motor-boats inspired from tugs, trollers...
Here many sail-boats are inspired from race, and most of motor-boats (with planning-hull) have no classic lines.

From the seventies, here is one design (go to "galerie"), may be the one I could purchase for living aboadr on canals with my dog and bicycle (8.6m x 3.1m x 1m - 6000kg - 57HP Iveco heavy duty) ; would need one heater, front hardened glass-window instead of plexi with wiper and one controle about osmosis (550 liters of water in built-in grp tanks under cockpit...?)Bourgogne Marine, port pour peniches hollandaises et bateaux fluviaux

Oui, bienvenue. C'est un groupe tres accueillant, et il y a beaucoup de gens bien experimentes. Etre a la retraite, C'est la meilleur ! (Desole, mon clavier n'a pas d'accents).

In English: you will find lots of good advice here, as well as people willing to share everything about boats and more.

I'm looking at small designs, such as the many many small designs you have in North-America of motor-boats inspired from tugs, trollers...
Here many sail-boats are inspired from race, and most of motor-boats (with planning-hull) have no classic lines.

Take a look at the boats by Nimble some look similar to the one you referenced.
here is a link with several models.

New Boats | Nimble Boat Works

You may have see one of the forum members "Loafs and Fishes" owns a Nimble Trawler
Good Luck!

I've occasionally dreamed of trailering my little Nordic Tug 26 across Canada, dipping it into various lakes along the way, and then shipping it as deck cargo to Cherbourg to do the canals of France.

Keep the euro design coming. Sure do like the first one, Little Prince.

From the seventies, here is one design (go to "galerie"), may be the one I could purchase for living aboadr on canals with my dog and bicycle (8.6m x 3.1m x 1m - 6000kg - 57HP Iveco heavy duty) ; would need one heater, front hardened glass-window instead of plexi with wiper and one controle about osmosis (550 liters of water in built-in grp tanks under cockpit...?)Bourgogne Marine, port pour peniches hollandaises et bateaux fluviaux

Yes, welcome. I'll brush up on my French a bit more before I try anything adventurous language-wise.

I like that boat in the link, but had to laugh at all those fenders. Sometimes I feel a bit guilty when I just flick my fenders up and over the rail, rather than taking them in, but I have noticed in European TV shows, it's appears to be the norm for folk to leave all their fenders out, all the time. Certainly no-one, but no-one, is going to scratch the paint on that boat.

As to designs made in France, I have always loved the Beneteau Swift Trawler line of boats, although they are a bit expensive. I would kill, (figuratively speaking), for a Beneteau Swift Trawler 44…even a 34 would be great.

Last edited:
As to designs made in France, I have always loved the Beneteau Swift Trawler line of boats, although they are a bit expensive. I would kill, (figuratively speaking), for a Beneteau Swift Trawler 44…even a 34 would be great.

Hello,
Thanks for welcoming me!
This 34 design is quite a big boat in France, when not at all big for you:)

Another European design from Poland, very small and a little less in my liking, are the Haber 660M and Haber 800M; in the 660 they succeeded quite a good interior arrangement, despite the small size, but since the first Haber 660 were sailing boats they added later the inside helm-steering with...folding seat upon the dinette-table!
HABER YACHTS - Displacement cabin motor Pilothouse yacht HABER 660M

Thank you for the information on a couple of European boats. You have knowledge which will be very welcome on the Trawler Forum.

Learning how to post picture:
This one from the French yard "Meta Chantier Naval" (strongall building), showing 2 Minitroll 27 sailers; motor-boat Minitroll 27 would have one central keel, better for wild-bank-stops in our narrow canals!
imgres

Hello,

I really don't look after advertising... that's only trying to show some very small euro-design I find here around, I agree not all are close to trawler ...

The Marlin is eventually the one I'm planning to get; they were built in the seventies, with thick grp hull (6T and 1800kg of ballast).

Attachments

• cn-baie-des-anges-marlin-860-5826070082969486950525065524554x.jpg
    cn-baie-des-anges-marlin-860-5826070082969486950525065524554x.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 127
Bonjour. Bienvenue a bore.

Dale.

With roots from trad' Balearic Islands (Occidental Mediterranean Sea) fishing boats, where strong North wind accelerates between Alpes and Pyrénées, Menorquin boats double-enders, with open pilot-house maybe interesting.

There is the small 43 "palmas"=43x"20cm"=>8.6m x 3m, long keel, draft 75cm, low profile (2.3m above water / bridges), same size also the "Majoni"
Usually powered by two quite big engines for sea (security, but twice everything: weight/place/spares/noise/consumption...), but sometimes fitted with only 1 engine = then much better in canal (with only one Volvo 75hp, it drinks economic 1.4 l/h at 5 knots in canal!): with no swimming platform, it'ld be my next boat...
Quite good for windy canals/Rhône-river and enough seaworthy along occidental mediterranean coast (often with short small waves), but slow boat: 6 to 7 knots, with no wake.

http://www.inautia.fr/bateau-36556040043049694969506954654553.html

Last edited:
Hull view:

Attachments

• 3127158_0_20110104022210_5_0.jpg
    3127158_0_20110104022210_5_0.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 111
Hello
I'm around Montpellier, sometimes in the Cévennes (small mountains)...
Not yet with a boat.
There are a lot of 2nd hand boats for sale around my place, often at good price (for buyers!)
but not such as small trawlers...

tu es de dans quel coin sur MPL?
Je suis natif de cette ville et passer 20 ans là bas..

Anyway Menorquin are really strange looking boat, hope you going to ring you dream boat soon.

Hugues

20 years there, you must know a lot the city, with cosmopolitan Unversity place, well famous for good Medecine.

I'm North-East from Montpellier... but moving a lot.
Right now writing from a lonely old farm at 1400 meters above sea-level (too hot now around Mptllier), walking with dog all day (after 5h, dog is slowing down), collecting raspberries before first fall's cold; strong wind and wilderness, plateau and large sky at 360° remind me the Sea.

Menorquin, yes strange mixture: one adapted (for sharp/short waves) fishing-boat hull but with (too) high wheelhouse.
From fall-time prices are lowering a lot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom