Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > Welcome Mat

Old 08-11-2014, 08:14 AM   #41
City: Gloucester, MA
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Nordhavns are built in Xiamen, China. I've been through the plant.
Some of them. Most of them at this point. But the MS56, N64, N68, N72, and N76 are all built in Taiwan at the Ta Shing ship yard. And the 57 and 62 was built there as well. Maybe the 50 too.

South Cost ship yard is the one in Xiamen and they build the 40, 43, 47, 55, 60, 86, , 92, and 120. They also built all the 46s. South Coast was originally in Taiwan too, but moved to Xaimen sometime in the early 2000s.

Probably more than you want to know.....

twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #42

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Originally Posted by Nsail View Post
Really? Not even the DeFever? I think you'd get an argument from many that have ventured out that way (or anybody that's experienced any semi-rough, offshore conditions for that matter), including me.

Curious, other than the Defender, are there any other boats (under 55') that you think could possibly survive?

To CMA1992, don't be scared off of going offshore around here by these comments. You do need to be careful with which boat you choose and the conditions, but plenty do it.

Also, not all Nordhavn's have been built in Taiwan.
I'm pretty sure any boat would survive in benign seas,, but that doesn't make them the best tool for the job. If not having to wait for good conditions, I stand by Defender as the best for the job. I have promotional literature of a Bluewater being run back and forth across the potato patch in a strong ebb tide as their builders proof of their sea worthiness but I'm not going to recomend them either. But would you agree most all Norhavns have been built by Chinese? I say most just in case there's an errant Irishman camouflaged on the assembly line. y

Blake Davis Yacht Brokerage Inc

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote