Beginning a search for a trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mach_cat

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1981 Hardin Sedan 42
Hello
I am currently a rag bagger, my wife is not so into the work of sailing. Loves the slow speed and boat time just not the work of sailing a boat. So we are looking at moving from a catalina 36 to to trawler in the 34-36ft range.

I have no idea where to begin. Looking for something under 60000.
probably a single screw for fuel economy. Looking for suggestions.
this will be used in the pacific northwest might make a trip to washington.

Looking for info on boats or years of certain boats to avoid.

Which forum on here is the best to start with getting general info on the above questions. Wish there was a place to test drive different models. brokers typically do not take you out until you have an offer on the table how does one go out and get a feel for what boat will work for them?

Thanks Ed

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Mr. Mc. Well, the first step in solving a problem is to realize you have one in the first place (rag-bag). Your wife sounds like the sane one in the family...
FIRST major question: What do we want the boat to do for us?
Do not be set or fixated on any "brand" or year of ANY vessels (yet). Be prepared to look at anything and everything. I suspect you'll find out fairly quickly what may or may not work for your particular situation given you already have some boating experience.
Walk the local docks and talk to folks who have powerboats. One of the questions might be what does the owner like and dislike about their particular vessel.
After some period of time, sit down, relax and make 2 lists (one for you and one for the admiral) noting "must haves", like to haves" and "don't wants". Don't discuss or show each other your list until finished. THEN exchange the lists and discuss. Walk the docks some more. Talk to more folks...Possibly charter a few times. Take your time, enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
Look up Dave Wilson, a surveyor in your area. He may help direct you to a honest broker or know some good vessels for sale. Your waters are loaded with trawlers of all makes and quality. I do not know what 60k will buy but even in todays market, not a big range. Grand Banks are at least 150 for a 42'. You will do better dealing direct with seller with that amount of money. There is a DeFever for sale on this site for under $ 100. I should go quick. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom