Bahama Dreams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seahawk05

Veteran Member
Hi,

Retiring in a short few 5 or so years. Boating in local waters around Topsail, Figure 8, Wrightsville Masonboro and Carolina Beach in a 20 foot Key West. Lovely Bride and I dreaming of a lifestyle change. Keep the already downsized house in Wilmington and have a 40 foot or so winter trawler home based in Florida. Gotta be semi-displacement so we can hurry when my mate wants to "just get there." Gotta have a Queen sized bed (preferably island queen). Gotta have separate shower stall. Gotta have a flybridge and dink. Gotta be capable of fair weather gulf stream crossing and anchor living. Relative economy (considering semi-displacement) at 8 to 10 knots, capable of expensive burst of speed. Reliablility and relatively low maintenance feeds my engineers soul. Looking for the Toyota of the breed. I'd rather buy well vetted used than new any day. Anything over $200k won't do at purchase time 3-4 years from now but depreciation may bring some vessels out of reach today into reach then. This is a stretch dream, but that's how we get there.

Thanks for listening. Appreciate your friendship, tips, advice and counsel.

Hi,

Retiring in a short few 5 or so years. Boating in local waters around Topsail, Figure 8, Wrightsville Masonboro and Carolina Beach in a 20 foot Key West. Lovely Bride and I dreaming of a lifestyle change. Keep the already downsized house in Wilmington and have a 40 foot or so winter trawler home based in Florida. Gotta be semi-displacement so we can hurry when my mate wants to "just get there." Gotta have a Queen sized bed (preferably island queen). Gotta have separate shower stall. Gotta have a flybridge and dink. Gotta be capable of fair weather gulf stream crossing and anchor living. Relative economy (considering semi-displacement) at 8 to 10 knots, capable of expensive burst of speed. Reliablility and relatively low maintenance feeds my engineers soul. Looking for the Toyota of the breed. I'd rather buy well vetted used than new any day. Anything over $200k won't do at purchase time 3-4 years from now but depreciation may bring some vessels out of reach today into reach then. This is a stretch dream, but that's how we get there.

Thanks for listening. Appreciate your friendship, tips, advice and counsel.

Nice dream. Welcome !

I am thinking about doing the same, but on a shorter budget. Take a look at the thread I started several weeks ago: http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s30/liveaboard-florida-3-4-mo-winter-24347.html

As a result of my search I have concluded that a 40' or so Europa style trawler works best for us. That style has an aft cockpit and if you enclose it with canvas/isinglass it will give a nice place to hang out on wet/cool/windy days.

If you want to go fast, you will need more than a couple of Ford Lehmans or Perkins. But your budget should put you there with a couple of Cats or Cummins which should do the job.

Good luck.

David

Take a look at Meridians. Not a "trawler", but otherwise would probably meet your needs. 2006 and later get you common rail QSBs. By the time you're ready to buy, they'll probably be in your price range. There are a few in your price range right now.

Easy and relatively cheap to run at hull speed, but have plenty of oomph if you want/need it (~20 kts). Under water exhaust in 2006 and later (quiet running). Most have factory equipped bow & stern thrusters, and many come with a thruster remote "fob" on a lanyard.

408 and 459 series have more galley freezer space than the 411, but the 411 has space to add a deep freeze if you want. The 459 is basically a 408 + cockpit.

I prefer the 411 layout, with easy ER access from the cockpit as well as the salon.

Just my 2¢.

Thanks! We are just starting this journey and I have a lot to learn.

We are open to different aesthetics, recognizing that anything other than a slow-go displacement hull is going to burn more diesel.

The Meridian option has the creature comforts and burst of speed ability covered. Unsure about cruising range and access to diesels for general maintenance for a 6-2, 250 pound retiree.

A Mainship 400 also seem to be an option at the lowest end of the "speed" spectrum.

Both seem to be available at similar initial costs.

Any thoughts on which would provide lower operating costs and be more "seaworthy" for fairweather gulf stream crossings?

We'd likely haul her for storage during summer/hurricane season along the canal in central florida.

The lower the entry cost with reliability and lower operating costs, the more achievable the dream. :)

On the competency side, there's a steep learning curve in every aspect. That is part of the attraction.

It's too bad we couldn't go displacement hull. Life seems so much simpler with that spec.

I'm sitting on the Disney Magic with family in Port Canaveral departing in a couple of hours for Nassau and another stop with kids and grandkids. Like to be in our own boat but it would sure be an unpleasant trip today NW wind 20 to 25 K. This is one heck of a boat I wonder what this one? Back on Thursday.

:) we've done that :)

Today it's 36 degrees with rain lashing against the windows in Wilmington.

Chance of sleet and Carolina victory?......the odds are good for both. :)

Welcome aboard ?

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa
Sent from my iPhone, using Trawler Forum

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom