Old 02-18-2015, 08:27 AM   #1

City: Ft. Myers Fl.
Thompson Trawlers

Looking for anyone out there that has any history with the 34 Thompson. I am looking at a 1977 with newer yanmars and a fairly new generator. Should I be wary of such an old hull?
pepper8115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:51 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:20 AM   #3

City: Lynbrook, NY
Vessel Name: Grey Ghost
Vessel Model: Seapiper 35
Is that the one listed in New Smyrna Beach? I've had my eyes on that for a while. I believe it's been listed for over a year. Thompson built commercial hulls. They then expanded into yachts with the 44. I had never seen a 34 until this ad appeared. I believe the hulls are solid glass and are heavily built. Needless to say a survey would be appropriate, but the age of the hull would not bother me if it checked out at survey. Love the 14-1/2 ft beam on that baby.

chiropaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:36 AM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I think Thompson made 5 or 6 that were 51'ers. One is/was advertized on TF. Weird shape to the sheer line to my eye. Yup, the 51' is still for sale on TF. $49K
Old 02-18-2015, 10:02 AM   #5
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
There is a TF member who has a Thompson 44' and thinks very highly of his boat and claims it was the last 44' built. Can't remember his handle but it is something like Captain Darrell. He knows a lot of the history of the company and its boats but I don't recall a 34' model. The Thompson factory was in Titusville which is just down the Indian River from New Smyrna Beach.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:36 AM   #6
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I know it sounds trite..but be wary of a bad hull versus an old hull...the two issues aren't directly related.

Even a good old hull can have bad structural members if you look at stringers and such separately.

I also wish I had a dollar for every time somebody claims a boat or even worse, their boat, is built like a tank.

Most aren't built any better than any other boat as most still have an Achilles heel or two.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:20 PM   #7

City: Ft. Myers Fl.
Thanks all . Going up Sat. and check it out.
pepper8115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:40 PM   #8
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Many year and model Tollycraft have no wood whatsoever in thick hand laid hull, transom, and stringers. Our 1977 34' tri Tolly cabin included. That was one important reason we purchased her. There are other positive reasons also.

Regarding Tolly hulls... having seen 1" to 1.5" thick hand laid, well saturated core samples from thru-hull valves and bow thrusters and not ever seeing a meaningful blister... I could say these now older/classic hulls are basically built like a tank.

Superstructure is good too but there are certain foibles that need to be cared for and occasionally repaired if let go too long. Nothing too tough to accomplish though, as long as items/situations are not neglected for decades.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:35 PM   #9
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I wish I had more experience with Tollycraft boats...just not many where I boat.

I will say even my Albin has 1 to 1.5 inch hand laid hull thickness...as many older boats I have worked on.

Newer glassing techniques and engineering have shown where thick overly rich glass hulls aren't needed or optimal.

I read not too long ago that some vessel's stringers are really just the glass structure and the wood inside was just a form and not necessary for hull integrity....wish I could remember the source to link it if I could.

I can vouch for that as the stringers in my assistance towboat turned to brown water years ago and the boat endures far more punishment than in recreational use.

It's nice to believe your boat is everything it should be...you could be betting your life on it.

Thompson trawlers enjoy the reputation of being built to commercial standards....can't really say that is all that good or not...having seen a lot of lacking commercial builds. The dockmaster at Barefoot Landing Marina in Myrtle Beach has one I believe...looked OK but I didn't go through her as a pre-purchase survey...he loved her!
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:47 AM   #10

City: Lynbrook, NY
Vessel Name: Grey Ghost
Vessel Model: Seapiper 35
Hi,
Just curious as to what you thought of the boat and whether you made an offer on it?

chiropaul is offline   Reply With Quote