Another longtime sailor, about to go to the dark side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sevo

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
It’s About Time
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 450 Classico
Hi, folks. My wife and I have sailed casually for the past 30 years or so. With my retirement approaching in a couple of years, we're planning on doing the Great Loop during my first year of retirement. So we're looking for a boat to do the Loop in, which will be our first large power boat. I've been lurking here for a few months, long enough to have read Boat Search 101 (a couple of times) and long enough to know not to ask what type of anchor is best. But you'll see me posting other unanswerable questions as we decide what type of boat we should be looking for. Looking forward to the process!

David

Welcome. We changed over from sail to power in March, 2017. But, I admit, we go back and forth! :D

If you think it's the dark side....being warm, dry, hot meals, etc while underway....well you get the idea.

Got to make that quantum leap mentally when choosing a Trawler.... Especially because most trawlers are mostly comfy in inland waters...unless stabilized and designed for offshore work ....which I think are few.

Too many can't and choose wrong (for them).... and make the transition harder than it is. Understand there are a quite a few who have transitioned and have settled in after a boat or a few....they are some of the better advice providers.

It's good that you know it's a "process".

Just for reference...my long time "sailor" friends are/were no more ready for the loop or for choosing a boat for the loop than a person who had never boated before.

I tell them before choosing a boat, the homework required to he "happy" with their decision will take years unless shopping/deciding nearly full time.

Last edited:
Psneeld makes an interesting point above and I think he is right: "my long time "sailor" friends are/were no more ready for the loop or for choosing a boat for the loop than a person who had never boated before."

Certainly your seamanship skills will be applicable to power: anchoring, managing weather, etc, but comfort which really is what picking the right trawler for you is all about, probably isn't significantly affected by sailing experience.

Trawlers have more space (per foot), a salon with lots of eye level windows, usually an inside comfortable helm when needed, otherwise a high and dry fly bridge helm and some can go faster than sailboats. For inland waters perhaps the only downside will be a little rolling in rough seas which you may encounter on the Great Lakes, the Florida panhandle and various inlets and bays along the way.

Attend a Trawlerfest and join the AGLCA. Good luck with your search.

David

Honestly, I *do* grow very weary from people calling it "the dark side" :p (but I digress)

However, the thing I hear most as the major plus of power over sail is that the view is so much better. In a sailboat, you are at, in, and often UNDER the waterline nearly all the time. Nearly everything in a powerboat in regards to living and operating space is ABOVE the waterline... and often WAY above! (re: flybridge)

Have fun picking. Let us know if you need any help (or ridicule... we tend to excel at that apparently) :-D

Thanks to all for your welcome.

Psneeld, I definitely am aware of the quantum leap involved. Our biggest sailboat has been 30', and none have had any but the simplest of mechanical systems. So I'm spending hours pretty much every day on the forum trying to educate myself about big (relative to my past experience) diesels, fuel filtration systems, complex electrical systems, etc., etc., etc. My wife would probably claim that I am already working full time, if not boat shopping, then at least trying to learn what I think I need to know before I start.

David, I am a member of the AGLCA and will be attending their spring rendezvous in Norfolk (which will be just down the street from where I live). The week after that is dedicated to a trawler charter/"trawler school" session with a professional captain to learn how to drive the things. After that we'll see where things go.

Thanks again.

David B.

Honestly, I *do* grow very weary from people calling it "the dark side" :p (but I digress)

However, the thing I hear most as the major plus of power over sail is that the view is so much better. In a sailboat, you are at, in, and often UNDER the waterline nearly all the time. Nearly everything in a powerboat in regards to living and operating space is ABOVE the waterline... and often WAY above! (re: flybridge)

Have fun picking. Let us know if you need any help (or ridicule... we tend to excel at that apparently) :-D

I do agree with some of the above comments especially Tom B's take on it. So many sailboaters that are making the move to a power boat feel they have to call it "the dark side" under the guise of being witty while I personally find it a thinly veiled insult. Please know ,Sevo, I'm not singling you out & it's good to have more fellow boating members on here because it brings more knowledge,wisdom & experience for everyone to use!

I have a better view when driving my sailboat than I do driving my powerboat. Out in the cockpit, unobstructed view 360 degrees, hearing and feeling the surroundings. Better situational awareness as a result. But wet if it's raining and cold if it's cold. There are also many sailboats with raised saloons, pilot houses, and inside steering stations.

On something like the great loop or in the PNW though, you are going to be motoring in your sailboat 90% of the time or more. A motorboat makes a better motorboat than a sailboat does, usually. Pick the right tool for the job.

Any one that has a better veiw from a sailboat has a sailboat in the lucky10% or so style and a Trawler that I wouldn't own.

And yes, plenty of sailboat rime, cruising and racing.

My apologies for the "dark side" comment; I should have omitted it from the title.

If I may add, hopefully without further offending anyone, I don't actually consider powerboating to be "the dark side". I am going to a great deal of trouble and considerable expense to make the transition from sailing to powerboating, which transition I make with great anticipation of entering a whole new (to me) realm of spending time on the water.

Cheers,
David B.

My apologies for the "dark side" comment; I should have omitted it from the title.

If I may add, hopefully without further offending anyone, I don't actually consider powerboating to be "the dark side". I am going to a great deal of trouble and considerable expense to make the transition from sailing to powerboating, which transition I make with great anticipation of entering a whole new (to me) realm of spending time on the water.

Cheers,
David B.

None taken... We aren't picking on you specifically, just getting a little opinion in... at your expense I guess. Sorry. Didn't mean to go down that rabbit hole. Just pointing our the general displeasure of the phrase used by so many.

Welcome aboard David.
From one newbie to another.

Welcome aboard TF and best of luck with the search and ultimately the adventures.

Welcome to the forum! Best of luck finding the boat that fits your needs. Did the Great Loop in 2017. Truly a fantastic trip! Looking forward to heading back up to the Great Lakes for another summer of wonderful cruising.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom