Old 01-12-2015, 11:02 AM   #21
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigandon View Post
We have altered our plans...slightly. After some deliberation, we have decided to look for an Albin 25 on a trailer. While the coast isn't too far away (and I still dream of having a much bigger liveaboard-type boat berthed there...someday), Kerr Lake, Jordan Lake, and Falls lake are even closer, and that looks like a vessel that we could enjoy on all of those.

So that is what we're now looking for! We are in no major rush though.
Despite being given some excellent advice here-sometimes you just have to give people what they think they want. You asked-and you received! Albin 25' with diesel engine sitting on an Aluminum double axle trailer for $10k. Call the owner at 305-340-1703. CALL HIM. He's in the boat repair business so everything should be in proper condition. It might be the only one left in the world-sitting on a road worthy trailer. These things are oldyou know. You had better be in a major RUSH-if you expect to find a rare old boat in operating condition. I missed a 63 Dodge Polara convertible back in 1988 and haven't seen a virgin one since!!!
Attachment 36302

Attachment 36303

Attachment 36304

Attachment 36305
The bottom photos are the boats of the smart people in the area and all get used regularly. All have Yamaha's or Suzuki's on the back. ALL are at the minimum double the speeds of a 25' trawler. I would bet it's the same up in North Carolina. Look around and see what everybody else is using. There's a good reason why.

pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:26 AM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
PK are you saying people are dumb to be interested in a 25' 7 knot trawler?

You wrote "He's in the boat repair business so everything should be in proper condition." It's common knowledge not to buy a mechanics car as working on his car is the last thing he wants to do after he's worked on other people's cars all day long.
"Look around and see what everybody else is using. There's a good reason why." That's assuming the "other people" are "smart". I suspect those boats in the last photograph are bought for speed and convenience having little or nothing to do w how smart they are.

Albin 25s on trailers are not unusual on the west coast. Also if the engine is good on an A25 they are about as free of surprise troubles down the road as any trawler anywhere.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:28 PM   #23
Guru

Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
PK are you saying people are dumb to be interested in a 25' 7 knot trawler?

You wrote "He's in the boat repair business so everything should be in proper condition." It's common knowledge not to buy a mechanics car as working on his car is the last thing he wants to do after he's worked on other people's cars all day long.
"Look around and see what everybody else is using. There's a good reason why." That's assuming the "other people" are "smart". I suspect those boats in the last photograph are bought for speed and convenience having little or nothing to do w how smart they are.

Albin 25s on trailers are not unusual on the west coast. Also if the engine is good on an A25 they are about as free of surprise troubles down the road as any trawler anywhere.
Yes, that's exactly what me and the other people posting have said DUE to the location he plans to use the boat. The guy selling the boat didn't buy it to use (as he's not stupid)he bought it to resale. Now if any buyer from the east coast would go all the way to the west coast to buy a $10k boat, that would put them in the category of "special" . They would likely be riding in the short bus, not towing with one. Call HIM-if you have questions about it.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:30 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Wake Forest, NC
People on the Albin Owners Forum have traveled all the way from Maine to Florida to acquire decent 25s. One guy drove from South Carolina to Minnesota to get one.

Guess there's a lotta major dumbasses out there that like those boats.
michigandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:56 PM   #25
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. pk. I suggest you chill. Mr. md. was only looking for information. What do you care what boat Mr. md gets, where he uses it and if it's the "right" boat or not?
Old 01-12-2015, 09:56 PM   #26
Guru

PK buying on the west coast and shipping east never crossed my mind.
Just info of interest.
An A25 on a trailer could be my next boat.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:04 PM   #27
Scraping Paint

City: -
I'm with Eric (again). I think buying a boat based on what the majority of boaters around you have is not a smart way to select a boat.

The boats in the majority in your area can be a useful data point to keep in mind as they will have some characteristics that are well suited to your boating region. But what you want is not a boat that other people wanted but what YOU want.

If we had made our purchase decision based on the brand with the largest number of buyers in our area we'd have bought a Bayliner. But there's no way in hell we'd ever buy a Bayliner. Not because we think they're bad boats but because we think they are all very ugly from an exterior aesthetics point of view. Exterior aesthetics are very important to us, so Bayliner was automatically off our list. So were a lot of other makes for the same reason.

So if after you have determined what you want to do with a boat and what characteristics and attributes you want your boat to have, if a trailerable Albin is what you feel will fill the bill, that's the boat you should get.

It doesn't matter iif you have the only 25' Albin inside a 500 mile radius of where you live. It doesn't matter if the best way to get what you want is to buy it in the PNW and haul it home.

The only thing that matters is that you get a boat that will do what you want to do in the manner you want to do it, and that it's a boat that you really like.

Eric is familiar with Albins having owned one, so he would be a good source of honest information about them based on experience.

And no matter what kind of boat you get and what you have to do to get it remember that this is supposed to be fun.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:00 PM   #28
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
10K for an A-25 seems like a very nice price. As a former A-25 owner, even I would consider buying this boat. We loved ours and still miss it. Here is a link to one of the trips we took in our A-25. Princess Louisa Inlet 2010

Great boats with a lot of room for a 25' boat. We also trailered ours a lot.
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:19 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I'm with Eric (again). I think buying a boat based on what the majority of boaters around you have is not a smart way to select a boat.

The boats in the majority in your area can be a useful data point to keep in mind as they will have some characteristics that are well suited to your boating region. But what you want is not a boat that other people wanted but what YOU want.

If we had made our purchase decision based on the brand with the largest number of buyers in our area we'd have bought a Bayliner. But there's no way in hell we'd ever buy a Bayliner. Not because we think they're bad boats but because we think they are all very ugly from an exterior aesthetics point of view. Exterior aesthetics are very important to us, so Bayliner was automatically off our list. So were a lot of other makes for the same reason.

So if after you have determined what you want to do with a boat and what characteristics and attributes you want your boat to have, if a trailerable Albin is what you feel will fill the bill, that's the boat you should get.

It doesn't matter iif you have the only 25' Albin inside a 500 mile radius of where you live. It doesn't matter if the best way to get what you want is to buy it in the PNW and haul it home.

The only thing that matters is that you get a boat that will do what you want to do in the manner you want to do it, and that it's a boat that you really like.

Eric is familiar with Albins having owned one, so he would be a good source of honest information about them based on experience.

And no matter what kind of boat you get and what you have to do to get it remember that this is supposed to be fun.
Funny thing, I was told over on the Albin Owners forum that a 25 on a trailer would be ideal for what I want to to with it. NOBODY over there made any snarky-toned recommendations to buy some outboard-powered POS like "smart people" do.

I also ride a Royal Enfield whilst everybody else in the neighborhood and their brother and his cousin either owns a Harley or a crotch rocket. Yeah, I'm dumber than a bag of hammers all right.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:23 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolive View Post
10K for an A-25 seems like a very nice price. As a former A-25 owner, even I would consider buying this boat. We loved ours and still miss it. Here is a link to one of the trips we took in our A-25. Princess Louisa Inlet 2010

Great boats with a lot of room for a 25' boat. We also trailered ours a lot.
Keith, I've actually already been reading this over the last several days and have enjoyed it immensely. I had to look up what "Whiskey Golf" is. Interesting stuff! Sounds like a great cruise.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:00 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigandon View Post
People on the Albin Owners Forum have traveled all the way from Maine to Florida to acquire decent 25s. One guy drove from South Carolina to Minnesota to get one.

Guess there's a lotta major dumbasses out there that like those boats.
This just proves my point of how un readily available these old boats are, so I wouldn't delay in buying one if that is what you truly want.
Buying on the east coast makes sense, but not way across the plains, deserts, and steep mountain ranges to the west coast. That would cost you a fortune in gas, motels, mileage racked up on your tow vehicle, plus trailer repairs. If you want one -here's one sitting on an aluminum trailer in Ft. Pierce only 125 miles south of Daytona. Take I-95 the whole way. Doesn't get any easier than that does it? Heck there's even literally hundreds of trucks for sale locally to tow it home.

These boats receive little use (demand) here in South Florida because the distances are large, the speed limits are such that if you were to use a boat like this you will be waked unmercifully by others (think big boats with huge wakes, plus all the small boats)not willing to broil in the sun going slow. We have to make our own wind most of the time. At dock you need air conditioning. The fact is people make one long slow trip here in slow small boats and they seldom ever use them again. You can find them rotting away at docks at the ends of all the rivers here in Florida. The New River in Ft. Lauderdale is relatively short but packed with dead boats up stream. Same with Miami River, St. Lucie, St. Johns, Suwannee, and dozens
more. This ALL adds up to putting you in the drivers seat as a buyer. You have little to zero competition from other buyers. If I was buying this boat I would show up with a bag of "magic beans" and a truck with every expectation of leaving with it.
There's even literally thousands of relatively fast boats sitting dead behind houses inland mostly with outboard engines not made in Japan. This all adds up to opportunity for people to take them elsewhere where it's cooler and prettier and there's service and parts available.
Just curious, do you have a quick source of parts for your bike like the Harley riders do? A machine that you can't get parts for is soon a decoration not a machine.
Oh, I forgot to mention that I owned a Albin 25 back in 1991. Bought and sold it without ever cranking the engine or leaving the slip. Bought her from the marina for the dockage due.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:00 PM   #32
Guru

Also not sure that two examples add up to a "lotta major dumbasses" lol
Old 01-13-2015, 06:27 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
This just proves my point of how un readily available these old boats are, so I wouldn't delay in buying one if that is what you truly want.
Not so sure I totally agree about these boats being "un readily available". I am currently pursuing leads on THREE right now. Ironically, all are located in the Sunshine State. I have no doubt in my mind that if I buy one of them and pull it home, a nice one will turn up for sale the week after right down the street. But, that's the way that sort of thing always goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
Just curious, do you have a quick source of parts for your bike like the Harley riders do? A machine that you can't get parts for is soon a decoration not a machine.
I can go to nnfieldgear.com and order almost anything I want, and it'll be on my doorstep in 3-4 days. As this one is brand spanking new and still under warranty, I've been buying far more accessories than I have parts as of recent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	royalenfield 219.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	36370   Click image for larger version

Name:	royalenfield 221.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	36371  
Old 01-13-2015, 08:23 PM   #34
Guru

michigandon,
My Velocette looked a lot like your RE but a lighter color. Was a 500 Thructston (SP ?).

PK,
I wouldn't truck one from west to east and I can agree fully w you about being waked. The light rounded hull of an A25 behaves badly on big wakes in narrow channels where you have little choice positioning (clocking) your boat to the wakes. However if you can clock your A25 for one wake it will be able to gracefully handle it.

Re a lot of dumb asses sure .. fast boats in this country are far more popular than slow boats and I doubt if it has much or anything to do with smartness or dumbness.