Old 06-27-2019, 06:29 AM   #1

City: FL
Vessel Model: Benneteau Swift 42
Question Advice/opinons purchase

Hi been a sailor in the NE for over 40 years, 35/36 footer sold a few years ago

Looking to get into 36-40 footer live in Fl now so have a lot of cruising ground to explore, maybe do the loop later on, perhaps the Bahamas unless that's considered Blue water.

Been reading up on the Gran Banks & Mainships

concern with a single screw is having enough hull speed in following sea to stay where I want on a wave.

Trying to stay in a 175-200K budget

I should add I'm very handy mechanically, fiberglass & woodworking
lipets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:31 AM   #2
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
IMO the Grand Banks and Monk 36 along with Defever’s might be worth considering. Of course I’m a long time owner of the Krogen Manatee 36 that is a great live aboard trawler with many home ported in Florida. There’s a nice one on Yacht World in Tennessee with a reduced asking price. It has had the big bucks bottom job that’s a definite plus.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:09 PM   #3

The Monk and Defever’s are worth worth a look, thanks
Old 06-27-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Exclude the Bahamas and a lot of houseboats make great liveaboards and loop/cruisers.

Some houseboats can also be Bahamas boats as long as you live down that way and can wait for perfect weather windows.

Other than that, 40 feet is about the minmum I would live on...in fact I do and wish I had a 43 for that tiny bit more room where the washing machine/dryer would go an who knows...maybe splurge and get a dishwasher.

$200,000 is a great budget for an under 40 footer unless looking for newer than older...I might take a bit older and a bit larger and use any excess money for rehab/operating expenses.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:01 PM   #5
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
There are advantages of a single screw. First almost all commercial fisherman large and small use single screw vessels and many more other types of commercial vessels use single screw.

Diesels are great if used constantly, not so great if they have sat around for long periods of time, like most diesels on pleasure boats. If you see an older boat with low hours on the diesel(s), don't get it. Surprisingly high hours is better than low hours with diesel, and older marine gas engines.

If you have to re-power or rebuild, two engines is more expensive than one - logically.

If you get a single engine older boat, get one with a bow thruster or plan on having one installed. Forget all the folks here who insist you just need to be a great boat handler with one engine, many commercial vessels have them for a reason. It is entirely possible to be a great boat handler with a bow thruster involved.

Really look closely at your speed requirements. You can always slow down, but you can't always necessarily speed up. When I first got my boat I told me 7 knots would be fine. Now I want some speed especially in the first and last hours of cruising, then slow down to enjoy the area. As many, many here will tell you, fuel is often the least of your costs.

Look at a map, even google map will do of the area you will be cruising, you just need a rough assessment of distance, then decide how'd you like to get there and back, and cruise around where you are going. You may genuinely enjoy motoring on at 7 knots but then again there might be times you want to move quickly. To change styles of boats because you got it wrong will be expensive.

Try to purchase a boat that will serve your needs given the geographical/climate area you will be boating. Don't just go purchase a boat because it is neat looking; whatever you decide, you can find a great looking boat in that category.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Exclude the Bahamas and a lot of houseboats make great liveaboards and loop/cruisers.

Some houseboats can also be Bahamas boats as long as you live down that way and can wait for perfect weather windows.

I have no interest in living aboard.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:15 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I would make a list of what is most important to you and start looking at boats that meet those requirements. I wouldn’t be too concerned about single vs twins, i would be more concerned about what the boat has to offer. Then learn to handle what ever boat you buy. Our major concerns were no ladders and no fixed furniture, 2 cabins and 2 heads. We ended up this time with a 40’ sundeck. It was the heaviest boat that our yard could haul and that was another consideration.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:29 PM   #8

What does the term sundeck imply?

Foredeck without a cabin I assume?
Old 06-27-2019, 03:34 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
The sundeck is aft. It is above the master stateroom. We love it but it does have some issues, it is high above the water so line handling can be an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
1FFBBB13-570B-444B-BE23-024359EC6029.jpg   2FC70932-6BEB-4896-8AA7-958A8E09B2FE.jpg  
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:27 PM   #10
Guru

City: .
Vessel Name: GOTCHA
Vessel Model: Hatteras 58 LRC
Curtis Stokes is a good guy and he would have a lot of advice and boats.

Curtis Stokes and Associates Yachts for Sale | Charter
Old 07-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #11
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote: concern with a single screw is having enough hull speed in following sea to stay where I want on a wave

Most single engined boats have reduction gears and large props that provide a lot of thrust. As long as a previous owner did not repower with a smaller, less HP engine, a single engine boat will be fine in following seas. Look at all the single engine boats crossing oceans without issue.

The type of hull, (displacement, semi-displacement) amount of transom in the water and rudder shape will affect following sea performance more.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:15 PM   #12

City: San francisco
Vessel Name: Pacific Star
Vessel Model: 1990 Grand Banks 32 #834
I have a Grand Banks 32, 1990 model with single screw, and love it. Wife and I spent 2 months last summer cruising the PNW and we are still married and talking to each other. The GB 36 Europa is better because it has a separate stall shower. GBs are something of a cult classic and pricey by comparison with many Taiwanese knock-offs that look the same for half the price. But GBs are VERY well built, both in terms of basic structure and quality, well-installed systems. They hold their value well. Island Gypsys also have a good reputation, built by former GB people to almost the same standard of quality. Ultimately, it's a love affair. Buy the boat that makes your heart sing! And buy a year early so you have time to find all the issues that need to be corrected, and to get to know the boat
Oldersalt is offline   Reply With Quote