Old 05-07-2015, 05:07 PM   #1

City: southampton
Vessel Name: Vizion
Vessel Model: Fairline Phantom 48
Advice on Chartering in Florida Gulf Coast

My wife and I are experienced boaters and charter our own 48' flybridge boat in the UK. Can anyone recomend a good charter operator in Florida Gulf Coast who has boats of similar size. If we go with friends we want a boat with two good cabins. What's the best time of year to go for weather and what areas would be best for a two week cruise? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
meustace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:56 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
swflyachts.com

IMO, best between late fall and late spring.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:08 PM   #3
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
swflyachts.com

IMO, best between late fall and late spring.

Ted
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:48 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
We were very happy customers of Chitwood Charters, nice selection of larger boats.

Chitwood Charters - Boat charter sarasota florida - Florida Yacht Charters using Grand Banks Trawlers. Selene Yacht Passage, Sarasota, Florida - Grand Banks boat rental sarasota florida

Tell us a little about your cruising style and types of places you like to go. For instance, we are anchor-out, wilderness/undeveloped area cruisers, beach combing and dinghy exploring, all of which that area can supply in abundance. Others are more town-to-town, dock-to-dock or resort types, and there are a wealth of those opportunities as well. You will have fun!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:34 PM   #5
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
If you like resort style cruising try South Seas Resort on Captiva Island. For a little more laid back resort try Tween Waters Resort also on Captiva. For anchoring or moorings try Fort Myers Beach, Pine Island Sound, and the Charlotte Harbor areas. Boca Grande is a nice stop. Cabbage Key is a nice stop. Pelican Bay at Cayo Costa is known as one of the best anchorages on the West coast. This area is one of my cruising favorites.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:41 AM   #6

City: southampton
Vessel Name: Vizion
Vessel Model: Fairline Phantom 48
Thanks All. We cruise the south coast of the UK also going south to Brittany areas of France. we like a mixture of marinas to stock up and walk ashore but also islands, bays, quiet spots, wildlife.
The recomendation is fall to spring but what would be the ideal time in here - away from holidays/cheaper rates etc.? Calm waters, light winds, warm weather, chilled drinks!! I can't wait!
meustace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:26 AM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
First 2 weeks of December is nice and warm there, bur tourist season hasn't really started yet. Also, the first 2 weeks of April would be a good choice as many of the snow birds have left, days have gotten longer, and the weather is nice and warm but not hot.

Fort Myers area has good cruising destinations with parks, marinas and mooring bouy anchorages with in a days cruise. The SW coast is protected by barrier islands, and offers a 2 to 3 day cruise to the East coast in a mostly protected waterway (Okeechobee water way) to give you another option if you hit a bad stretch of weather.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:57 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by meustace View Post
Thanks All. We cruise the south coast of the UK also going south to Brittany areas of France. we like a mixture of marinas to stock up and walk ashore but also islands, bays, quiet spots, wildlife.
The recomendation is fall to spring but what would be the ideal time in here - away from holidays/cheaper rates etc.? Calm waters, light winds, warm weather, chilled drinks!! I can't wait!
In Florida, summer is cheaper than winter, except July 4 period. It's also hotter. But there is no bad time to boat.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:27 PM   #9
ljk

City: Fort Myers FL
Vessel Name: Hobie Kayak
Vessel Model: Passport 12.0, 34 Mainship Pilot, Mako 24,32 Regal Commodore, PT-41 Trawler, 33 Chris Craft Cavalier
Just got back from almost a week on my 2005 Mainship 34 Pilot. It operates through Southwest Florida Yachts out of Cape Coral. My friends and I have been doing business with them for about 10 years. It is a first class operation. Their attention to detail is amazing, and the staff extremely helpful and friendly. The boats are maintained to a very high standard and they bend over backwards to make sure their customers have an enjoyable experience.
ljk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice on chartering, best florida charters, chartering florida