1978 marine trader 36'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KB lady

Looking at a 1978 marine trader 36', double cabin twin lehmans.
The price with the diesels and condition it was in was attractive at 22k. both engines rebuilt with low hrs. After doing much homework on Taiwanese trawlers I realize where most of the common trouble areas are and am prepared to deal with them. Fuel tanks, decks, around windows, electrical, etc. I have the resources and ability to do much of the work myself while still getting some enjoyment out of it in between projects(I HOPE). Of course I have a survey scheduled. I figure as long as the hull is solid and engines check out good this is a great canvas to make a great family cruiser. much more comfortable, functional and economical than my current 1963 uniflite with twin 350's sedan which I did pleny of work on . Am I far off with this assumption? Anybody else with this particular model/year?
Thanks!

I have 1978 34 DC. Not sure what 2 feet gets you. Besides one more engine.

after you do all that work what will the boat be worth?
Somebody put a lot of money into the engines that they aren't getting back.

While I don't want to start the debate again between singles and twins, the MT 36 with twins may have some compromises because of the space and weight of the second drive train. I don't remember the details as it was 3+ years ago, but you might want to check fuel and water capacities as compared to the single engine version. Also check space around the engines. My recollection was that it was pretty tight for working on the engines.

Ted

Nope. Got that on my 34 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Actually it sounds great.

So long as you are aware of their possible issues they are a lot of boat for the money. The biggest would be replacing fuel tanks but there are many 'creative' ways around that now. Everything else is just labor.

And there is the bathtub.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1454540199.628720.jpg

Not a full size, but this is it.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

When I was looking, the main difference between the 34 and 36 MT was the port side cabin door on the 36. That was important to me. After nearly three years aboard, it still is.

I can't imagine servicing twin engines on this boat. Hope you are thin and flexible.

I think the MT 36 is a great coastal cruising boat.

Arch

My 34 has the port door. The other ones I have seen online don't, but look like an extra seat and flip flopped galley. I definitely port door.

Welcome aboard ;)

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa
Sent from my iPhone, using Trawler Forum

Back
Top Bottom