Yacht Clubs--good or bad idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: Our yacht club is greeeaaaaaat. I love the tennis courts. :rofl:

Seriously, keeping in mind it's 12:17 AM tomorrow where I am. Our yacht club also has excellent reciprocal agreements, has great sailing programs for kids, has a very good restaurant. Yes, they do require the purchase of a certain amount of meals which we generally accomplish by taking a group there periodically. The club is a very pleasant atmosphere. I wouldn't be surprised if there's politics occasionally but we don't participate so don't know and wouldn't be affected by it. There are other really good clubs in our area with lots of activities, more than ours. I think with most clubs you can make them whatever you want. You can socialize and make friends if that's your desire. You can use the fitness or tennis facilities. You can eat and socialize or just dock and come into the clubhouse. You can get involved in conflict and club politics but in most that isn't a requirement. :rolleyes:

We get our benefit by being able to take a short boat trip and play tennis on great courts. Our best friends got theirs through taking tennis lessons to try to beat us. :lol: We don't mind the meal requirement because that keeps the restaurant going and it's nice and convenient. We love to watch the kids sailing. They're cool and good kids. How do you value a place where your child can engage in such a healthy and wholesome activity rather than the other choices they might have?

Every club is different. We've been to dozens while cruising and found them all to be friendly. People join yacht clubs for pleasure. They ask if you want to join and you try to explain as you're 2000 miles from home, perhaps not. We even enjoy though going to other yacht clubs in our area occasionally just to see what is going on. :)

Every club is different. Some focus too much on things that wouldn't interest us. Others target our interests.:)

Every YC is different. Try out a few before joining. Most YC's will allow prospective members to attend functions prior to joining.

Some require attendance at a few functions prior to joining.

Assess what you want from a YC; reciprocals, outstations, cruises, social functions, make new friends, knowledgeable members etc.

Some YC's have no clubhouse, some have one meeting per year, some have minimal dues.

There are a few YC's in the PNW with no clubhouse. They have several out stations. People join for the reciprocal and outstations.

Yes I know, some of you anchor only and avoid docks so reciprocal is unnecessary.

We spent 68 days in the San Juan's and Gulf Islands a few years back with a dead generator. Alternated between anchoring and at a dock. Out of the 68 days, we spent 32 days at reciprocals.

Most reciprocals that we stay at in the PNW have dinners, a bar or happy hour on the weekends.

At many reciprocals, the members there have driven me places to get parts or other necessities.

I'm in the Groucho Marx camp : wouldn't join a yacht club that would have me as a member. That said, fine for others - especially folks who are new in town or have kids and want boating activities such as youth sailing clubs. For me, I'm just not a joiner type.

I'm in the Groucho Marx camp : wouldn't join a yacht club that would have me as a member. That said, fine for others - especially folks who are new in town or have kids and want boating activities such as youth sailing clubs. For me, I'm just not a joiner type.

+1

Any organization officiated by a Commodore and Vice-Commodore is way too uppity for my taste.

Last edited:
Wrong question, in my opinion. Something like “what do you look for in a yacht club” would be much more meaningful.

Yacht clubs are like boats; they are all different, and there is one for everyone. Or not.

I agree about the value of yacht clubs and am a member of the Port Ludlow YC in the PNW. You forgot to mention your YCs name.

Three decade member of a YC. There are several in the area, from ‘exclusive’ with a couple of nice clubhouses through member run/operated without a club house.
The one i belong to is not the largest most expensive, but the galley and bar are first rate, it is far from the least expensive.
I have raced out of the club for years and years, but try to stay out of the politics of the club. I have no desire to volunteer to take that sort of abuse from fellow members, even if it means a good parking place.
Our educational and social events are great

I could not image not being a member.

However I have been to some YCs that I would never want to be a member Best advice is try several-you May find a group of like minded boated that you enjoy, if so join and have fun!!

We bit the bullet, paid the funds and joined Burrard Yacht Club in North Vancouver just over four years ago. Best money we ever spent on boating. We managed to get (covered) moorage in about a year (small boat) and in one more year from now, the savings on moorage alone will have covered the club’s initial initiation fee. We’ve got wide open access to four club-owned outstations (Howe sound, Indian Arm, Pender Harbour, Maple Bay) and access to dedicated moorage at three commercial marina (Snug Cove, Gibsons, Silva Bay). In addition and through reciprocal agreements we have (mooring) access to ~17 Canadian yacht clubs in our immediate area and close to 45 more in the San Juans/Puget sound area. We have our own tidal grid, our own workshop, a dingy dock, secure parking and a social calendar that’s about as perfectly balanced as one could be. It’s owned by us, run by us, used by us - it's a boaters club for boaters. As I said – it’s been one of the best boating decisions we’ve ever made…

We looked at a bunch of clubs when our kids were young, and the range of responses was from, uh, kids? To we love ‘em. The various membership types were also interesting running from HE’s the member (that’s been changed) to both are members with full voting rights that go with the boat. When joining with four kids including twins that are two years old, full acceptance is a requirement. That requirement was well met. I volunteered to do some stuff and the next thing I knew I was recruited to go through the chairs. Best management education I’ve ever seen. Motivating volunteers and making it fun is a skill I applied at my job and still use in retirement. Sajos and tiltrider, I was class of ‘93 with Carl Sletto and “Father” John Rasmussen.
I tell people that it’s kind of like finding a church. You need to find a place that works for you.

The 2-3 hour drive to Georgian Bay, where we've moored our boat for the past 3 seasons, was an even longer trip in heavy traffic. Thus, I felt compelled to research the local power boat club, which happens to be a mere 10 minute walk from our home.

They have great new docks and a decent club house, but lack any security. Old guys with fishing rods and no membership regularly relax on the docks with their lines in the water. Also, they recently installed fuel tanks and a pump-out system, so that deficiency was eliminated. And I actually met a few of the members, who were pleasantly helpful. They confirmed my belief that the club was in a perpetual drive to attract new members. They've been losing members over the years due to some leaving boating and others leaving life.

I inquired of their commodore regarding fees and benefits, and was told that the initiation fee was $5k in addition to the rather substantial ongoing annual membership fees for dockage, winter storage and hauling/launching. Also, there was a minimum compulsory fee of about $800 for bar/restaurant.

When I asked about their club exchange program, I was told that they have agreements with numerous other clubs on Lake Ontario, including some in New York. While this feature was attractive, I felt it would have been better if it included other clubs around the province, especially The Trent Severn, Rideau Canal and Georgian Bay. I like to use my boat for more than short over-night trips around the lake.

I'm a "health enthusiast" and selective about my food and how much I consume alcohol. Though I'm sure the club chef is probably decent, and I occasionally enjoy a cold beer on a hot day, there's no way I'd consume $800 worth of their food and beverages during our short boating season, especially since I'd be away for much of it. Plus they offer no heated storage for my boat, which has enjoyed same since she was fresh from the factory.

I'd probably appreciate some of their social activities, and would certainly enjoy pitching in to help with club projects such as the haul/launch. However, after an informal cost/benefit analysis, I'm unable to justify the expense. At least at a marina, I'd still have the social element and full service, including heated storage, but without the extra expenses.

To avoid the long commute, and to escape Hindson Marina, whose senior management policies I've come to dislike, I've submitted applications to the Town of Oakville Harbour, as well as a local marina, both of which are close by. If accepted, which I fully expect, I'll bring my boat down in the spring, making a long and no doubt pleasant voyage of it, and maintain my home port here. Instead of dealing with highway traffic, I can deal with boat traffic; oh - much better. And I won't have to pay club fees.

IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE CLUB .. and YOU!

Here in the PNW there are two very different tiers. On the high and haughty level are the Seattle Yacht Club and the Royal Vancouver. These are clubs with a lot (not all) of very wealthy members. The clubs have (naturally) high initiation fees and dues because they support mutliple utstations but even more because they see themselves as supporting a heritage.
That "heritage" is a problem. At least for SYC it includes the expected issues .. racism and antisemtism. Sadly while some (not all) of this has changed, for people like me it leaves a bad feeling.
There are alos a lot of behaviour issues with some (certainly not all) SYC members. Frequently at other YC and marinas, we have listed to SYC and VYC folks demand special attention.
Finally, the outstations these YC own are always exclusive. SYC and VYC offer each tohers reciprocals but the rest of us are nto given that. While this may be mainly abut money, itn leaves a sour taste when oone of their outstations occupies an importnat harbor and will nto allow access to the shroe even by dingy.

All that said, we meet wonderful folks from all YC. We bought uor current boat from a great guy who is a member of VYC.

Our yacht club dropped our 40 year-long annual lease of a clubhouse associated with a marina and became a cruising club, with no clubhouse. We are celebrated our 50th anniversary as a recognized yacht club last year. Our annual program involves cruise outs to other club's clubhouses, paying for berthing, meal service, as required. There are about 100 clubs in this area. We have about a dozen events a year and we range from the center and throughout the CA delta up river to Sacramento and down river to San Francisco Bay. They say a thousand miles of waterways. With 50 memberships we have lots of friends whose passion is boating, cruising, social events, and the like. We typically turn out 12-15 or so boats per event. Every club has it's particular culture, ours is "family." Best part? The only cost is $150 dues per year. For that, we have a full menu of boating activities served up each year for the choosing.

Just an observation but it seems most posts about yacht clubs come from the west coast and Canada, very few from the east coast. I wonder if this might be because there are more cruising and places to go on the east coast?

Here in the PNW there are two very different tiers. On the high and haughty level are the Seattle Yacht Club and the Royal Vancouver. These are clubs with a lot (not all) of very wealthy members. The clubs have (naturally) high initiation fees and dues because they support mutliple utstations but even more because they see themselves as supporting a heritage.
That "heritage" is a problem. At least for SYC it includes the expected issues .. racism and antisemtism. Sadly while some (not all) of this has changed, for people like me it leaves a bad feeling.
There are alos a lot of behaviour issues with some (certainly not all) SYC members. Frequently at other YC and marinas, we have listed to SYC and VYC folks demand special attention.
Finally, the outstations these YC own are always exclusive. SYC and VYC offer each tohers reciprocals but the rest of us are nto given that. While this may be mainly abut money, itn leaves a sour taste when oone of their outstations occupies an importnat harbor and will nto allow access to the shroe even by dingy.

All that said, we meet wonderful folks from all YC. We bought uor current boat from a great guy who is a member of VYC.

This is the opinion of some one truly unfamiliar with SYC or RVYC. I know of no Yacht club that allows reciprocal privileges to their out stations. SYC and RVYC have a dingy only arrangement between four outstations. The rest of your opinions are equally inaccurate.

Just an observation but it seems most posts about yacht clubs come from the west coast and Canada, very few from the east coast. I wonder if this might be because there are more cruising and places to go on the east coast?

Wifey B: More marinas perhaps. Less need for yacht clubs. Still a lot of yacht clubs on the east coast of FL. 36 clubs in the FL Council of Clubs. In the FLL area, we have Lauderdale Yacht Club and Coral Ridge Yacht Club, both great and very active. All 36 have reciprocal agreements. I think also you have marina groups trying to create some yacht club benefits. Loggerhead attempted to before Suntex bought most of them. :)

Full disclosure: I'm a past commodore of a club in the Tampa Bay area and have my own perspective: No two yacht clubs are the same and potential YC members need to weigh their expectations against the benefits.... and costs... that a club has to offer.

That said: I recommend you DON'T consider a YC that DOESN'T offer a no-cost trial membership. Trial memberships allow both sides to decide if there's a good match. They're a mutual "Let's get to know each other..." before either side commits. Sort of like a marriage engagement... And if the trial doesn't work out, you both go your separate ways, without all of that "divorce" messiness.

Larry Ellison (Oracle CEO and legendary bully) decided to mount an America's Cup campaign in the mid 2000s. Natural sponsor was either St Francis YC or their arch blue-blazer rival, the San Francisco YC across the bay in Tiburon. The SFYC basically told Ellison that it's great he wants to do this, however the America's Cup is a race between yacht clubs and therefore the St Francis YC gets the prize, not Ellison no matter how much money he plunks down (reportedly, over $100m when the dust settled).

Ellison went a mile down the quay to the much more pedestrian Golden Gate YC and basically bought the place so he could write his own rules. The commodore there has been quoted as saying "more likely to see his private jet flying over the bay than him in the GGYC".

Somewhere in that piece of trivia is all I need to know about yacht clubs. As I said before, I wouldn't belong to one that would have me as a member. But I do respect the social aspect they bring to many. I'm just not a "joiner."

Weebles. I agree, it was a huge move for me to have joined Trawler Forum. Happy so far and have made some great friends and have avoided a few too. Admiral is more social, I try to stay aloof.

Senor RT. No I’m not a goof (most of the time). To be aloof I need to take lessons from you. :)

Greetings,
Mr. B. Go find your glasses man! Nowhere did I say goof and I'm sure I can't teach you a thing...

200.webp

Senor RT. I’ll bet you can teach me quite a lot. We can negotiate at Ft Pierce. :)

Thanks.

Yacht clubs

Our Club Is a great social club we have at least one function a month and sometimes more than that. We are a boating community with 55 miles of canal in Southwest Florida. We have our monthly raft up social which involves bringing a snack to share and you own beverages. We have a moring ball and we tie up as many as 40 boats. And it's a party. We also have dances for Valentine's , St paddies day we have a lobster and seafood feast
Karaoke, Octoberfest Veterans day and Christmas decorated boat parades. And a commodore's Ball.The South Gulf Cove Yacht Club is a party club.

SJ, your comment surprises me. Whether it's true or your perception I can't answer, but I will say that if you offered me a bazillion dollars I couldn't tell you the religion of anyone in our club. It has never been discussed openly or privately in a conversation I've been around or part of.

It just doesn't matter in our club.

Race is something else. It's not difficult to determine a person's race, but once again, it doesn't matter.

SJ, your comment surprises me. Whether it's true or your perception I can't answer, but I will say that if you offered me a bazillion dollars I couldn't tell you the religion of anyone in our club. It has never been discussed openly or privately in a conversation I've been around or part of.

It just doesn't matter in our club.

Race is something else. It's not difficult to determine a person's race, but once again, it doesn't matter.

Agree Mike

As far as I am concerned there are only 2 races. Blow Boats and Stink Pots.

Nothing else matters.......

I have to share this experience: I bought my Camano 31 in 2017 from a member of the Bristol Yacht Club, Bristol, Rhode Island. (Completely delighted with the Camano, by the way.) The seller kept his boat on a mooring, but arranged for me to have use of a dock space for several days for commissioning prior to my voyage to home port at Cypress Landing Marina (cypresslanding.com) in North Carolina. Having a dock space made loading equipment, provisions, and so much more far easier than if I were taking the water taxi back and forth to a marina. I was given use of the showers, as well. The sellers had me join them for drinks on the balcony overlooking the bay one evening, and put in an order for a beer for me. Instead of a staff member, it was the club Commodore who brought the beer, introducing himself and welcoming me to the club. So many members dropped by our table to introduce themselves, chat about the planned voyage, etc. It was a delightful experience, and in every way I felt so fortunate to have begun my Camano Experience with such wonderful people offering every kindness and encouragement. My wish for every boater is that they might have such a wonderful experience as a visitor to a new to them port, and to be welcomed as I was. If every yacht club lived up to my experience at the Bristol Yacht Club of Bristol, Rhode Island, I suspect the discussion of yacht clubs on this post would be brief and enthusiastic! By the way, the BYC's posting of the colors and firing a cannon at 8:00 in the morning is a charming ritual, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I have to add complete admiration for my yacht clubs. I was a member of the Pasquotank River Yacht Club in the 1970s, and currently a member of Cypress Landing Yacht Club. Both are wonderful organizations with great people, fun events, and responsible support of boating safety and service to their communities. Such organizations, along with the United States Power Squadrons, make boating better for all of us through boating education, sponsored events, environmental awareness, and opportunities to build great relationships. On top of all that, taking my Admiral to the Cypress Landing Yacht Club's Commodore's Ball is a highlight of our year!

Yesterday was Super Bowl day and our club hosted a party for those who wanted to watch the game. About 50 or so attended and all had a good time. There was a chili cookoff with 12 entries, a snack table with all the chili fixin's and lots of other munchies, three game boards (I won back the $20 I paid to get squares on the board) and lots of places to watch the game on the 3 big screen TV's at the club.

I spent much of the time just wandering around talking with other members and both of us had a helluva good time.

For all those trying to declare the NFL dead, a few facts. Super Bowl had 102 million viewers, 41.7% of all households and that's not counting Spanish broadcasts or streaming.

Oh and the poor, failing NFL only generated about $16 billion in revenue in 2019.

Just because TF isn't big on the NFL doesn't mean others aren't.

Sports bring a lot of people pleasure and many who enjoy watching sports on television because they can't afford to go to the games are the same ones who can't afford boats.

Greetings,
Mr. BB. What does this have to do with yacht clubs? Wrong thread, perhaps?
McDonald's revenues for 2019 was $6+ billion. Doesn't mean I'd ever eat there.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom