Would one of these be effective at deterring people who anchor too close?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will have to make the trip from Maleisia to Caïro in a slow trawler at 6.5 knots and If a strong LRAD can keep pirates and kidnappers away from my turtle it's worth the investment, no matter the cost, since the governments do not want you to defend yourself against those ultra dangerous people with your gun or spearfish equipment. You have to say "yes Sir" to them and "plse, take all we have and kill us painless please".
Anyone that has one installed already ?

I researched these extensively, and deployed a few as non-lethal deterrents. We found they were useful with recorded gunfire, dog barking, etc, or for loud hailing. Their usefulness as actual “sonic cannons” is hype by the inventor; we found them pretty useless in that regard.

Last edited:
Whoa.... Too close anchorage mates or pirates?

Did we cross over from the Security at anchor thread?

If the anchorage is crowded I just deal with it as long as there is no danger of having someone swing into us. Otherwise bagpipes can be effective even if you do know how go play them!

200w.webp

"I wear one of these, clears out an anchorage in mere minutes:"

In the 1970's the charter folks in St Thomas would rent a steel houseboat to anyone.

The chart given was a paper napkin , with the "advice" anchor near a sailboat , there will be plenty of water.

These tin wrecks has total electric everything , the noisemaker (sans muffler ) would need to start to flush the head.

YES , the instant one would come into an anchorage the drill was to pull off all clothing , they would anchor far far away, or depart.

I'm sure the original post was tongue in cheek. But I worked at SOCOM when the Psyop guys were looking at LRADs for system acquisition. Based on what they found, the most effective use is to have a very focused sound wave (they told me they could deliver a message to a person in a fighting position and a guy a couple meters away couldn't hear it). They played around with surrender messages or crying babies delivered to one or two people, etc.

In that application, targeting the captain with a normal conversational tone of voice that said "Why are you anchoring so close to that other boat..." would 1) plant the suggestion and 2) would leave everyone on board arguing about why the captain was hearing voices.

At least, that's what the Psyop'ers would tell you.

The pair of LRAD 1000X with Lawrence Welk input at full volume. Should be able to clear a flotilla from a wide bay.

The pair of LRAD 1000X with Lawrence Welk input at full volume. Should be able to clear a flotilla from a wide bay.
You haven't been paying attention to the music thread, have you?

The lovely Lennon Sisters might just attract some...

Last edited:
I'd say, depending on how fat and ugly you are, just walking around naked should clear out the crowds!

I'd say, depending on how fat and ugly you are, just walking around naked should clear out the crowds!

I did that one morning. Ended up spending hours signing autographs, afterwards.

Bah ha ha ha ha ha!!!! :rofl:

For reference... appx 1/2 sq mile of suitable anchorage in this view.
20170326_175518_1.jpg

The places that we anchor, you would fit 3 boats in the space between those two boats, and will more than likely have that by the end of the day.

It's a matter of perspective.

You can jump up and down and scream all you want, but at the end of the day, you'll only end up with sore feet and a sore throat.

Back
Top Bottom