What's up with Garmin automobile GPS'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith

Guru
Vessel Name
Anastasia III
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
I'd like to buy one, but their new top of the line isn't even for sale yet (pending FCC approval). The 2nd choices are all 3-5 weeks lead time. :ermm: Is this happening in the marine market too??

Greetings,
Mr. K. Next to last GPS I bought for car (about 4-5 years ago I think) I had to pay Garmin for update ($40-$50). Bought Tom-Tom c/w lifetime updates as a replacement. No more Garmin for auto.

Garmin is real busy attempting to be an OEM for glass cockpit displays in new high end autos.

10 million cars a year , nice market if they can grab it with modified aircraft stuff.

Keith
I have been a Garmin devotee since my first 330 Streetpilot, due mostly to their totally intuitive nature. I finally decided to go for lifetime maps, so chose the newest model at the time (3490), about a year ago. It was also a little bigger screen and only about a 1/4" thick. Very sexy. However, it turned out not be the intuitive operations seen on my prior two. Disappointing, but not a deal breaker. Long story short, that unit went black screen on me as I was trying to navigate from Soho, NYC to mid Manhattan. I think all the tall buildings caused to to lock up. After a day or so of navigating with my Blackberry app, I gave up and bought a little older model Nuvi 40LM. This unit was readily available at Staples at $150, and has the lifetime maps, and the same intuitive nature as my older units. While reading the quick start instructions, I then ran into a fix for the prior locked up unit. Just held the on switch a little over ten seconds, and away it went. Great. At least I then had a backup. As much time as I spend in unfamiliar territory, I really like a backup, but had chosen to travel light this time.

Bottom line, is that you might want a little older generation anyway. All of the Garmins I have purchased (usually with hotel points), still work, but just don't have all the bells and whistles. I still have my original 330 streetpilot, but would recommend the Nuvi 40LM.

I hope this helps in some way. As to availability of the newest models, I have no clue. :)

I've had two Tom-Toms. The last one took FIVE tries to get one than worked longer than a couple of weeks. One replacement was DOA out of the box. I decided to go with Garmin for a replacement. However, not only do they have long lead times, but it appears that none of them will do the live traffic thing without a mobile phone (not an Iphone, which is what I have, and data rates apply).

Back
Top Bottom