What you need to earn to be considered Middle Class in each US state

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dubnuh

I love data like this so that I can compare my progress to others while I'm still in the rat race...:popcorn:
middle-class-cutoff-table%20(1).png

Knew there was a reason I left Maryland for Florida. :rolleyes:

Ted

I think South Dakota is way off. Cost of living (and taxes) are way low here, you can still get a decent house in a decent neighborhood for under $150k (Sioux Falls), even less in small towns. And my slip fees for the nicest marina in the state, 42' x 16', May through October 15, are $2800.

And I keep telling my mother she needs to move out of Connecticut but she won't listen.

Yes, this is aggregate data, but the real information will come from the breakdown of each municipality in each state -then you'd really know cost of living. I'll see if the PEW Trusts publish that data.

Unless you are a young single person, I don't see how the lower bound in any state would feel like anything other than a major struggle. Is that really Middle Class?

Last edited:
These are not cost of living numbers. They simply are median household income and then a column that is 2/3 of that and a second column that is double that. While cost of living may directionally be similar to those numbers, there are some huge differences too. Rest assured Maryland does not have the highest cost of living. Alaska, Hawaii, New York and California would jump up there.

Actually with 100 being the national average, Hawaii is 163.8, Connecticut 145.9, Alaska 133.2, California 131.9, NY 131.6.

Cost of Living by State

And do not ask me why they call it top 50 states. I'm guessing maybe there are recent additions no one informed me of.

"I'm guessing maybe there are recent additions no one informed me of."

The folks in North La La land are attempting yo break away the State of Jefferson , once again.

Dont know about the other 6 invisible states Dumbo refers to.

These are not cost of living numbers. They simply are median household income and then a column that is 2/3 of that and a second column that is double that.
Exactly. Without any inclusion of the cost of living, or any evaluation of the kind of lifestyle that these amounts will buy you, I think it is idiotic for them to suggest that this defines "middle class" in any way.

"I think it is idiotic for them to suggest that this defines "middle class" in any way."

Middle "Class" and Middle " Income " are quite different , just ask Carl Marx.

Lower class was workers , folks on salary .ANY amount , its still hourly pay.

Middle class was owners of places that employed workers.Like a store or resturiant

Upper class was folks that owned large factories ,

Last edited:
And Louisiana isn't looking too bad either! Damn hot and humid, but I can afford A/C. Plus, great food.

Area of the state has a HUGE amount with actual costs. Here in Western MD you can still buy a decent house in a nice neighborhood for 175K. By comparison, a nice house in Monroe County Fl, the keys is closer to 500K.

The real tickler for anyone not retired is what wages are in those states.

It takes a lot of green to keep yourself in Diesel and foam brushes

Income certainly doesn't say it all. For example, owning your home outright (i.e., no mortgage) make a huge difference in the cost of living. Being totally debt free also makes a big difference. If you meet those conditions you can live an upper middle class lifestyle on a much lower income.

An oldie from Chris Rock on the topic.

Back
Top Bottom