What Do You Fly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Av8

Veteran Member
It seems there are many pilots involved with the trawler or large boating community. I am curious about what planes people own or have owned. Not by choice due to boat issues, I am more active in aviation than my Hattie. Hopefully that will change soon.

Phil

Greetings,
Mr. 8. Although NOT an aircraft it has been suggested to me on more than one occasion to...

th

What kind of anchors do planes have?

Owned a couple Pipers over the years. My baby was a T-tail Arrow. Hard to let her go after 14 years but it was time...

We have a de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver on EDO floats.

Other planes I have flown extensively include a 270hp C180 on floats (here), a Turbo206 on wheels (here), and a C206 on wheels in Hawaii.

Also in Hawaii I flew a single-engine Grumman American AA-1, a Citabria, Rockwell Commander 112 and 114, C150, 172, 182 and C150 Aerobat and a Mooney Chapparal.

I got my Private license in Hawaii in a Piper PA-28 Cherokee and also flew the Cherokee 180 and Cherokee Six. I got the rest of my ratings/licenses in Cessnas.

On floats I also have some time in a Turbo Beaver re-engined with a Pratt & Whitney PT6A-135 and a turbine conversion of the DHC-3 Otter, also with the PT6A-135. I flew a Cessna Caravan on wheels a few times but not enough to be able to claim familiarity with it.

PS- For a project at work I bought one hour in a helicopter to experience what it's like to fly one. We spent the whole hour learning to hover. I never got more than five feet off the ground and to date it is the single hardest thing I've ever tried to do in my life.

Last edited:
Among other things.....

Attachments

• 85 pounds (The Plane!).jpg
    85 pounds (The Plane!).jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 117
Not as much activity as I would have expected but, Marin, nice resume and a Beaver to boot. Most of my time is in a Yak 52, Nanchang CJ6a, Christen Eagle II, Bonanza S35, Vans RV4 and a Clipped Wing Cub with 150hp. I have a Nanchang CJ6a in the paint shop currently, hopefully it will be done for Oshkosh, picture below. I am also purchasing a Russian L-29 Delfin military jet trainer. It will be awhile before I have the Delfin ready and earn my type rating.

I like trawlers and other boats but cannot give up flying as I have flown all my life as my father was an aviation nut also.

Thanks for the response,

Phil

img_340579_0_5c27789e0883fafc905f3f058332c552.jpg

Last edited:
We carry a Fortress in the Beaver.

Gotcha. Any bridle (snubber) that connects both floats so the load gets equally distributed when at anchor?

Gotcha. Any bridle (snubber) that connects both floats so the load gets equally distributed when at anchor?

No. Just a long length of nylon we carry in the float compartment with the anchor. It's just for unusual situations that may arise. We always either beach the plane, put it on a ramp, or take it out of the water altogether.

No. Just a long length of nylon we carry in the float compartment with the anchor. It's just for unusual situations that may arise. We always either beach the plane, put it on a ramp, or take it out of the water altogether.

Oh ok, thanks Marin.

Never owned my own but 42 years as a Commercial pilot...

plane

We have a vans RV12 which we fly out of Latrobe valley Victoria australia

"What Do You Fly?"

I usually fly Coach, these days.

"What kind of anchors do planes have? "

With big taxpayer bucks the usual Navy seaplane anchor is a folding SS Northhill made from less magnetic SS

Anyone want to buy one?

Just sold my Diamond DA-40 (just wasn't using it enough) to a German with real big cohonies. Took delivery here in Texas and flew it back to Germany.

Built a Genesis Slipstream 115hp on floats
Built a Glastar which was a hoot to fly

Now happy to just toodle along at sea level although still current.

Is that a Highlander?

Phil

Phil, It is a Fisher Super Koala. About 200 lbs lighter than one of those portly Highlanders;).

Empty weight on wheels = 420lbs.
Empty weight on the amphibs = 520lbs.

The plane will fly two adults off glassy water on 46 horsepower. Have not flown the Koala years as I have become busy with other things.

Steve

Attachments

• img314.jpg
    img314.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 2014 July 027 P Shop.jpg
    2014 July 027 P Shop.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 99
I have never owned an airplane but have flown a few.

Your flying experience far exceeds mine. While I have Commercial, Instrument, Flight Instructor, and Single Engine Sea ratings, I'm basically a recreational pilot. I did a little fish spotting in Hawaii for a commercial fishing boat and other odds and ends like "crop dusting" pineapple fields on Lanai with sterile fruit flies for the University of Hawaii, and I've done a lot of air-to-air photography here in Washington on a professional basis, it's certainly not been any sort of career as your flying has been. I suspect you've probably forgotten more about piloting a plane than I will ever know.:)

Piper Archer

I love my airplane, housed in hangar in Concord. picflyingclub.com
Madeleine

Reactions: Av8
Owned a Beech D-18 and a Twin Commander 560E for a bit. Currently fly a Commander 690B propjet.

Owned a Beech D-18 and a Twin Commander 560E for a bit. Currently fly a Commander 690B propjet.

What great aeroplanes. I love all the Aero Commanders, the Shrike is probably my favorite. Beech 18's are great machines. I worked on one for a while but have never flown one. What are they like to fly?

I fly the Q400 at the moment.

original

That is a beautiful airplane, Jetstream. I'm a former Bombardier man myself.

I always thought the 690 would be a very fun plane to fly when the boss is not on board...powerful and nimble at the same time. Is it?

That is a beautiful airplane, Jetstream. I'm a former Bombardier man myself.

I always thought the 690 would be a very fun plane to fly when the boss is not on board...powerful and nimble at the same time. Is it?

Which Bombardier aircraft did you fly? I've flown all the Dash 8 series. The 200 is just a pleasure to fly, specially on special mission ops. I always compared the 200 to a big Shrike Commander, beautifully balanced. You can't beat the 400's performance though. The 690's are fun aren't they.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom