Old 08-07-2015, 06:49 PM   #41
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
Here is one in you could say was in its unnatural habitat. A Beaver I flew a while ago as you can see by the date stamp, on Wipline 6000 amphibious floats. I loved flying that one.

I wonder if it looks like Marin's Beaver...hopefully he'll post some pics soon. Classics are always a pretty sight.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:42 PM   #42
chc

City: Essex, MD
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
The D-18 was a blast to fly; noisy, slow( by today's standards), not forgiving of any inattention on the ground, but comfortable & solid. A good day in the airplane was a satisfying experience. The 690B, like all the Commanders, is a reliable, efficient, fast airplane to fly. Tracks an ILS like it was on rails, & goes where you put it. Inflight stuff is a joy. A bit noisy, & it can be an absolute terror on the ground. Word is; "if you can taxi a Commander, you can fly it". The issue is the sensitivity in the nose steering/brake response. Good short field characteristics; 90 kts across the fence; instant response from the Garretts when you need it; in short, a joy to pilot

chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:23 AM   #43

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Old Town Loon
Quote:
Originally Posted by chc View Post
The D-18 was a blast to fly; noisy, slow( by today's standards), not forgiving of any inattention on the ground, but comfortable & solid. A good day in the airplane was a satisfying experience. The 690B, like all the Commanders, is a reliable, efficient, fast airplane to fly. Tracks an ILS like it was on rails, & goes where you put it. Inflight stuff is a joy. A bit noisy, & it can be an absolute terror on the ground. Word is; "if you can taxi a Commander, you can fly it". The issue is the sensitivity in the nose steering/brake response. Good short field characteristics; 90 kts across the fence; instant response from the Garretts when you need it; in short, a joy to pilot
CHC I loved the Aerocommanders as well, specially the Shrike and 690 but I've seen pilots who could never get the hang of taxiing them.

Brett
Jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:28 AM   #44
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
This is the C-45 I used to fly on a freight run between Seattle and Billings back in my days of youthful immortality. Overgross and iced up far too often for comfort. Just for the record ... I did not own the airplane.

The L-16 was my first owned airplane. Flew it coast to coast, Gulf to PNW with only a radioshack transistor airband reciever. Loved it, learned a lot.

The Scout was my fun plane, high performance Champ could leap fences and land in a corral, climb mountains and beachcomb.

The 206 was my first real bush plane, flew rafters into the Salmon River Wilderness and into the Canadian resorts ... shown on the strip at Banff, Alberta.

Need to scan pics of Mong Sport, Starduster Too (2 off), Ercoupe, and a Tripacer. Lots of fun and owned mounts as well ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bch1-12-13_n45n.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	42961   Click image for larger version

Name:	pictur26.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	42962   Click image for larger version

Name:	SCOUT_01.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	42963   Click image for larger version

Name:	pictur15.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	42964  
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:35 AM   #45
Scraping Paint

Oops, forgot to add the 206 pic .. and the Fairchild was not mine but I was driving in the photo delivering it to its new owner.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pictur01.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	42965  
Old 08-10-2015, 10:02 AM   #46
Scraping Paint

Nice Beaver, Jetstream ... I almost traded the Scout for a Beaver on wheels not long after I bought it, probably should have but the Scout was so darn versatile ... not to mention cheap to fly compared to the Beaver. Hard to believe we don't have any Beaver pics from Marin's many trips up the west coast.
Here are the 'Duster pics. Red one came to a bad end after an engine failure followed by an encounter with a barbed wire fence at just the wrong moment. The blue Duster was another of those "what was I thinking" when I sold it things ... the Mong was the twitchiest short coupled thing I ever drove on the ground ... in the air it was purely therapeutic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0514.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	43040   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2257.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	43041   Click image for larger version

Name:	MONG_04.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	43042   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0498.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	43043  
Old 08-10-2015, 05:21 PM   #47
Scraping Paint

City: -
I've put up photos form our Inside Passage flights in posts in the past. They're all in the archives somewhere.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:48 PM   #48
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I wonder if it looks like Marin's Beaver...hopefully he'll post some pics soon. Classics are always a pretty sight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I've put up photos form our Inside Passage flights in posts in the past. They're all in the archives somewhere.
Got any pics of the Beaver you own?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:26 PM   #49
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Cruising by air

Wonder if this is it?
Attached Images

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:39 PM   #50
Scraping Paint

The registration doesn't match up with anything ... but it is difficult to read in that photo. Sure looks like a Kenmore paint job though.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:46 PM   #51
Scraping Paint

That particular plane is N17598 and it's been part of Kenmore Air Harbor's fleet for a number of decades. My wife and I have been good friends since the early '80s of the family that started and still owns Kenmore and for a number of years they let us take one of their Beavers in June to BC and SE Alaska for fishing and camping trips. That photo is from one of those early trips.

Our own aircraft belong to one of our businesses and we do not discuss the specifics of our business ventures nor our customers on public internet forums.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:14 PM   #52

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Old Town Loon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Nice Beaver, Jetstream ... I almost traded the Scout for a Beaver on wheels not long after I bought it, probably should have but the Scout was so darn versatile ... not to mention cheap to fly compared to the Beaver. Hard to believe we don't have any Beaver pics from Marin's many trips up the west coast.
Here are the 'Duster pics. Red one came to a bad end after an engine failure followed by an encounter with a barbed wire fence at just the wrong moment. The blue Duster was another of those "what was I thinking" when I sold it things ... the Mong was the twitchiest short coupled thing I ever drove on the ground ... in the air it was purely therapeutic.
You guys have such a huge variety of aircraft in the states. When I learned to fly in Australia all we had commonly were Cessna's, Piper's and Beechcraft. The only thing different I flew when I was young was an Aerocommander Lark which looked like a 172 made by a blacksmith. Most of the new composite light aircraft flying around these days I wouldn't have a clue what they were.

This is the only good photo I could find of the beaver I used to fly on a regular run from Townsville up to Orpheous and Hinchinbrook island and through to Cairns sometimes.

Jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:34 AM   #53
Scraping Paint

[QUOTE=Marin;357200]... they let us take one of their Beavers in June to BC and SE Alaska for fishing and camping trips. [quote]

This past June? Cool, got any photos of that trip? We just want to see a Beaver doing what they are meant to do in that part of the world.

Quote:
Our own aircraft belong to one of our businesses and we do not discuss the specifics of our business ventures nor our customers on public internet forums.
Oh, c'mon, are you leasing them (plural?) to the CIA or something?
Old 08-11-2015, 11:41 AM   #54
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
... they let us take one of their Beavers in June to BC and SE Alaska for fishing and camping trips.
This past June? Cool, got any photos of that trip?
No, not this past June. iN June for a number of years, through the 1980s and 90s until we got the first plane of our own. June is when Kenmore could spare the plane. Bob Munro, the founder of Kenmore Air Harbor, let my wife and I use 598 at no cost to us; we just had to put gas in it which at 23 gph is not an insignificant cost even at 80's and 90's fuel prices, let alone today's. The only time we didn't use 598 was for our honeymoon when we used one of the company's re-engined 180s.

The photos I took on those trips, like the one psneeld pulled out of the archives, are all 35mm slides. I copied a few of them to a digital camera, and these are the ones I've posted to TF at various times.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:44 PM   #55
Scraping Paint

Here's the last pair to leave the stable a few months ago ...

Don't miss them much, really don't miss the hangar rent bill!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	43073   Click image for larger version

Name:	PARKED.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	43074  

Tags