Old 06-23-2019, 03:03 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: Dogs and kids are better judges of people than adults are. They see beyond all the superficiality. They see kindness and see the heart. They seek nothing but love.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:15 AM   #22
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Lucky old sailor.

Perhaps he could be the honorary TF hound.

Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:31 PM   #23
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. AG. I don't think there's too much hound in old sailor. Looks like a Laboratory Retriever/German Shipyard/Gin and Collie type mix.

HAH! A lot I know. Our new rescue was "advertised" as a Redbone Coonhound! Best I can reckon is he's a Catahoula Leopard Dog. Look it up folks...

We named him Leon anyway.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:41 PM   #24
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Well the old Sailor got his first boat ride today. He wasn't too keen on jumping over the ~1' gap between the swim platform and the dock but did it with a gentle tug on his leash. Then he settled down in the cockpit while we got things ready to go.

I had Tina video him as I fired up the engines and here's the result...

That was about as nervous as he got during the while trip. I wouldn't go so far as to say he was very at ease with being on the boat, but he did fine. We made it a short cruise then back to the slip. We took the side and back curtains off the fly bridge for the summer and he was fine watching us get on and off the boat.

When it was time to leave, a gentle tug on his leash got him to jump over the open area at the stern, then it was time to go home.

All things considered it was a good day afloat.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:16 PM   #25
GFC
Guru

It’s been just over two months since Sailor adopted us soI thought I’d write a short update to let you know how it’s going. My background with owning dogs goes back towhen I was 5 years old and over those 60+ years I’ve owned more dogs than I cancount. Big dogs, little dogs, Pugs,Huskies, Labs. You name it and I’ve probablyowned one.

In the 2 months we’ve owned Sailor I’ve learned someamazing things about him:
-He’s very smart
-He’s tricky
-He’s bashful
-He’s playful
-He’s a very quick learner.

Some of his oddball characteristics:
His bedtime isaround 9:30. If I’m not ready for bed and messing around onmy laptop, he walks up to my chair and lays his head on my keyboard. If I move his head away, he puts it rightback. This can go on several times untilhe gets fed up with my antics and he’ll try to push my laptop off my lap with hisnose.

He’s not a bitshy about letting me know what he wants and when he wants it. His early morning trick is, when he’s walkingaround on the wood floor, I can hear the click of his nails. If I pretend to still be sleeping, he shakeshis head so the tags on his collar rattle and his ears flap. He knows that will wake me up.

Then it’s timefor a walk. He’s patient, but only to apoint. I get up, do my bathroom stuff,get dressed and he’s pretty patient through all that. But the minute I pick up a pair of shoes toput on he goes ballistic, talking to me and telling me to hurry. He’s ready for his morning walk.

He loves to walk tothe river bank. He explores down there,running up and down the bank checking out the new smells. He really likes it when the river is waydown. That gives him more area toexplore and more smells to check out. Healso knows when he’s down there, ,it’s when he’s to do his morning toiletryduties.

His vocabulary isgetting bigger every day. Since he adoptedus he’s learned these words: Stop, gohome, no, come, get your stick (one of his favorites), get your monkey (hisstuffed animal he carries around, and another of his favorite commands). He knows what dinner is, what treat means andwe have to spell the word “walk” or he goes bananas.

He’s becomingmore tolerant of being on the boat and isn’t frightened of the sound of enginesstarting like he was.

Before we wereadopted, I had my mind set that we would not get a dog until after oursummer-long trip to Canada was done. Itonly took Sailor about 2 days to get me to change my mind. Now that he’s a permanent part of the familyhe’s going to be coming with us.

I could write a lot more about his comical antics butthis is enough. You get the point. If you get the idea from reading this that I’mtaken with this dog, you’re spot on. He’sincreased the size of our family by 50%, but he’s increased the fun factor by100%.

Welcome to the family, Sailor.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:27 PM   #26
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Thanks for the update! I wonder who is training who!

We lost Grace The World's Greatest Boat Dog in March of last year. We have a couple of long retirement trips planned over the next two years but will be re-upping with a pooch at the end of 2021.

Every time we watch our "testimonial video" we still get dust in our eyes.

http://atanchor.com/?page_id=1899

God help us!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:35 PM   #27
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. Owned wooden 1972 Grand Banks 42 from 1986 to 2015
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
You only THINK he can't spell w-a-l-k.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #28
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. GFC. Good to hear Sailor has been successful in YOUR training. Our "new" rescue, Leon (he got us at Easter, of this year) is quite interesting as well. We had a late launch (July 1st) and he had never been on any watercraft, with us but being a rescue we have no idea of his possible previous experience with same. Hopped on, sniffed around and promptly lay down in the v-berth on our bedding and basically went to sleep. Fast, slow, slow speed or up on plane he wanders around and then goes to sleep. He IS quite skittish with loud noises but the engine doesn't seem to phase him at all.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:54 PM   #29

City: Ottawa River
Vessel Model: 36 uniflight ss
Keep the dog, you will never regret it. Best friends I ever had over the years
Old 08-13-2019, 07:11 PM   #30
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Exactly. We can't spell it or even say W. We have to mix up words such as ambulate, promenade, stroll (although I think he knows that one), sashay, and saunter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
You only THINK he can't spell w-a-l-k.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:05 AM   #31
FF
Guru

I had my mind set that we would not get a dog until after oursummer-long trip to Canada was done.

IN to Canada with a pet is a snap, but the USA wants paperwork for shots to be months in advance. Be Prepared
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:00 AM   #32

City: Reedville, VA
Vessel Model: Beals Island lobster boat
I didn't see this post when it first came out - nice work!!!
Bkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:32 PM   #33

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 29 - Express Cruiser 1969
There is a saying in the dog training world - "either you are training the dog or the dog is training you." So true.

Glad you didn't let some one else adopt the dog. In your dog's mind, he will be eternally yours, they know when they've gone from a very bad situation to a better life and pay you back with love. You made the rescue, you should reap the rewards.
rsn48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:33 PM   #34
GFC
Guru

Thanks for all the great comments. I watched "Grace's" video and noticed quite a resemblance between Sailor and Grace. Both are Labs (Sailor by way of a loose morals German Shepherd). Grace can swim, Sailor hasn't learned that yet. Both "talk".

Tina walked Sailor down to the river this morning and he was stung several times by a trio of Yellowjackets. He rolled on the ground, screamed like a baby then ran for home. She said he run full speed to get home, then when she got home she hosed him off to stop the pain.

This evening he's showing no ill effects. Maybe now he won't be to quick to chase bees, flies and anything else that moves through the air.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:46 PM   #35
Guru

City: Las Vegas/West Coast
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Mike,

Patche’s is sitting here with me as I read your post. She said a new picture is in order, what’s to be assured Sailor isn’t getting fat and lazy! LOL
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:50 PM   #36
GFC
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
Mike,

Patche’s is sitting here with me as I read your post. She said a new picture is in order, what’s to be assured Sailor isn’t getting fat and lazy! LOL
i'll take a pic this weekend and post it. As to the "getting fat and lazy", none of us is. He gets down to the river with one of us on the other end of the leash at least 3-4 times a day, and we've cut back on his food.

He wakes me about 3:30 to get up, then he doesn't want out, he just wants more food. Stoopid dog!
Old Yesterday, 06:18 AM   #37
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. GFC. "...he just wants more food. Stoopid dog!" I refer you to your own words in post #25:

-He’s very smart
-He’s tricky
-He’s a very quick learner.

Now, THOSE comments I agree with. "stoopid"? Not so much. As I noted in post #28, it seems Sailor is well along to having YOU trained!

We've had hounds as our last three rescues. VERY food oriented BUT we stick to a 07:00 hrs and 16:00 hrs feeding times. IF it's not time to eat the command "It's not time to eat yet, go lie down". They eventually came around and learned.

Another useful technique is to have them "do their business" on command. Especially useful on longer car trips where one doesn't want to hang around any longer than necessary at a "pit stop". Enjoy and "Sit GFC, sit...Stay".
Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM   #38
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Wife: darling I think the dog is going deaf.

Husband: don't be ridiculous, he is fine. Here watch... Buster... SIT!

Husband: OK, l'll clean that up dear.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM   #39
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. m.