Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-27-2015, 09:31 PM   #1
Guru
 
Off Duty's Avatar
 
City: Tampa
Country: USA
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 843
Want to live on the water?


https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/5192876533.html

I guess it could be legit, but take a look at the bottom of the page under "requirements"
To be considered, email the following as a response:

Name
Address
City, State, Zip
How Long?
Phone
eMail Address
Employer/Source of Income
2 References (1 Family)
Previous address if less than 1 year at current address
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
"I'm the only one who has removed half a brain, but if you went to Washington, you'd think someone beat me to it"...Dr. Ben Carson 08-06-2015
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:20 PM   #2
Guru
 
Carolena's Avatar
 
City: DC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 605
23 feet for 2 adults and one child as a liveaboard? And a porta-potty head!
__________________

Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:39 PM   #3
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,996
Greetings,
Location listed as Mad Beach. How apropos...
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:04 PM   #4
Guru
 
Off Duty's Avatar
 
City: Tampa
Country: USA
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 843
Yep....But hey, look at all of the swell storage room you gained when they removed the motors
__________________
"I'm the only one who has removed half a brain, but if you went to Washington, you'd think someone beat me to it"...Dr. Ben Carson 08-06-2015
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:06 PM   #5
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,175
Sadly, there are those who will send all that information having no idea who they're sending it to.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:01 PM   #6
Guru
 
Off Duty's Avatar
 
City: Tampa
Country: USA
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Sadly, there are those who will send all that information having no idea who they're sending it to.
Exactly
__________________
"I'm the only one who has removed half a brain, but if you went to Washington, you'd think someone beat me to it"...Dr. Ben Carson 08-06-2015
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:48 PM   #7
Guru
 
Gulf Comanche's Avatar
 
City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Country: U.S.A.
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 799
Yeah, there's a plan for ending a marriage in short order.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:13 PM   #8
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
The really sad part is for $3,500 a far better laid out and equipped 30'+/- sailboat can be sourced for the soon to be happy liveaboards.
__________________
Craig

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:27 AM   #9
Guru
 
janice142's Avatar
 
City: St. Pete, FL
Country: USofA
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 914
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolena View Post
23 feet for 2 adults and one child as a liveaboard? And a porta-potty head!
Well, I'm living on 23' however one is quite sufficient for a boat this size. And I've seen that boat. It's anchored off a beach near the McDonald's and VA Hospital.

There is a dinghy dock, with water available too. Not protected -- too much fetch.
__________________
Janice aboard Seaweed, living the good life afloat...
http://janice142.com
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:14 AM   #10
Guru
 
Off Duty's Avatar
 
City: Tampa
Country: USA
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 843
Interesting point Janice. This thread was meant as a bit of comic relief. I can't imagine a family (more than 2 people), renting that thing for other than a party barge, for more than an overnighter or maybe a long weekend. Lol

my first thought after seeing the "requirements", was another ID theft scam.

But what you mention makes me wonder?

At one point, we had a number of people statewide, "renting" homes they didn't own. Places were abandoned but had not yet been foreclosed on, and these piranhas were feeding on those who needed a cheap place to live with no credit check. I believe they were claiming a "loophole" in Florida statutes
That allowed it; however, I believe that there were some prosecutions as a result.

Anyway, just makes me wonder if someone is doing something similar with some of these derelict vessels we have scattered around the bay area? I've seen similar ads on CL recently.

Huumm????

OD
__________________
"I'm the only one who has removed half a brain, but if you went to Washington, you'd think someone beat me to it"...Dr. Ben Carson 08-06-2015
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:03 AM   #11
Guru
 
Carolena's Avatar
 
City: DC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 605
Yes, Janice, but as you said, you are one person, not two adults and a child. Plus, your boat has a much better layout for living aboard, and is set up for cruising. We had a 30 foot Pearson sailboat and I could see my wife and I living on it (for a period of time), but then again we have friends with express cruisers in the same size range that I couldn't imagine living aboard.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:29 PM   #12
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Duty View Post

At one point, we had a number of people statewide, "renting" homes they didn't own. Places were abandoned but had not yet been foreclosed on, and these piranhas were feeding on those who needed a cheap place to live with no credit check. I believe they were claiming a "loophole" in Florida statutes
That allowed it; however, I believe that there were some prosecutions as a result.

OD
That wasn't limited to Florida. It was true in nearly every state. Most of the time the lessor was long gone and out of sight before discovery. They'd get first, last and deposit and on to the next house.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:03 PM   #13
Guru
 
Off Duty's Avatar
 
City: Tampa
Country: USA
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
That wasn't limited to Florida. It was true in nearly every state. Most of the time the lessor was long gone and out of sight before discovery. They'd get first, last and deposit and on to the next house.
Yep.
Sad that we have people like that.
__________________
"I'm the only one who has removed half a brain, but if you went to Washington, you'd think someone beat me to it"...Dr. Ben Carson 08-06-2015
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:48 PM   #14
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Duty View Post
Yep.
Sad that we have people like that.
Well, one of the other things for renters to be careful on is those who move out and rent to you but then stop paying the mortgage. You pay them every month, they don't pay. Ultimately it gets foreclosed, which was why they moved to start with. Meanwhile they've got your last month's rent and security, they collected 6 months more rent from you and they pocketed it all and now you get evicted. I knew someone who over 7 months paid a total of $12,000 and the owner paid nothing to the mortgage company.

A lot of very legitimate sales originate on Craigslist, but a lot of very bad ones do too. People sell boats and cars they don't have clear ownership of regularly. It's also a place where fake tickets can be sold and other items fenced.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:54 PM   #15
Guru
 
Off Duty's Avatar
 
City: Tampa
Country: USA
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Well, one of the other things for renters to be careful on is those who move out and rent to you but then stop paying the mortgage. You pay them every month, they don't pay. Ultimately it gets foreclosed, which was why they moved to start with. Meanwhile they've got your last month's rent and security, they collected 6 months more rent from you and they pocketed it all and now you get evicted. I knew someone who over 7 months paid a total of $12,000 and the owner paid nothing to the mortgage company.

A lot of very legitimate sales originate on Craigslist, but a lot of very bad ones do too. People sell boats and cars they don't have clear ownership of regularly. It's also a place where fake tickets can be sold and other items fenced.
We deal with this pretty frequently in my business.
We'll serve an eviction summons or other documentation to the "current resident", only to find that this has happened to them.

We also run into it a lot of properties purchased through foreclosure sales.
We'll serve the notice only to find that the renter had no idea the property was in or had been foreclosed upon. Very nasty stuff.

We're usually able to help them either relocate or remain in place, depending on a lot of factors. Again, too bad there are so many that will take advantage of people like that.

Some things never change
__________________
"I'm the only one who has removed half a brain, but if you went to Washington, you'd think someone beat me to it"...Dr. Ben Carson 08-06-2015
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #16
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Duty View Post
We deal with this pretty frequently in my business.
We'll serve an eviction summons or other documentation to the "current resident", only to find that this has happened to them.

We also run into it a lot of properties purchased through foreclosure sales.
We'll serve the notice only to find that the renter had no idea the property was in or had been foreclosed upon. Very nasty stuff.

We're usually able to help them either relocate or remain in place, depending on a lot of factors. Again, too bad there are so many that will take advantage of people like that.

Some things never change
The way the person I knew caught in the situation of owner not paying found out was mail. All of a sudden they were finding a lot of mail offers to help avoid foreclosure, etc. Then they checked the county records. They then called the owner over, an owner who had made quite a point of how religious he was initially. They asked him if he was current on payments. He said "Yes." So the house isn't in foreclosure? "No". And you haven't declared bankruptcy? "No." Then they laid all the proof in front of him and told him to get the h out of there. Meanwhile, their lawyer had advised them to not make more payments and to plan their move based on the scheduled auction date, that they'd have at least ten days, I think it was. They did. Actually saved enough not paying rent to pay for the move and recover their deposit.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #17
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,175
Back briefly to "want to live on water" and although this isn't a serious thread, one thing to watch for in buying any waterfront property is the depth year round and at all tides. On the lake the water always rose to it's highest level in the spring. Every year beautiful properties in one area would be put on the market. Occasionally someone would buy as there was at least 6' of water. Of course the normal level was 2-3'.

I know of a house sold not long ago on a canal in Pompano Beach. The buyer asked about water depth and was told no problem, even the owner took a stick and showed him the depth he had. That was the only time he checked. It was at high tide and at low tide he couldn't get his boat in and out and it rested gently in the mud, if docked.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:57 PM   #18
Guru
 
Off Duty's Avatar
 
City: Tampa
Country: USA
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
...They then called the owner over, an owner who had made quite a point of how religious he was initially...
Like my pastor often says.
"Religious people scare me!"
__________________

__________________
"I'm the only one who has removed half a brain, but if you went to Washington, you'd think someone beat me to it"...Dr. Ben Carson 08-06-2015
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012