Wakeless in Waterway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Making a safety call to other boaters about a hazardous boater is cetainly a proper use of the radio...as long as it is done properly.

In fact it is done all the time by professionals that often aren't even polite about it. A hazard is a hazard whether a flirting log or a human log.

Greetings.
Mr. ps. I fully agree a securite call can be made to advise other boaters of the hazardous wake particularity if maneuvering room is limited (narrow channel). "Securite, securite...All boaters...A white sport fish of approx. 50' is traveling northbound in excess of 20 knots in the area of Alligator Creek. Prepare for a wake of 4+ feet. Name of vessel is..."

There is a little thing that I call the ICW dance. A dance takes partners. I will give the boat to be over taken, and usually say something like this. "Capt. if you will slow down, I will give you a good pass on your port." If he will slow a litlle, I can give him a good no wake pass.

There are some 40'+ boats that will not slow. When they are pushing a bow wave and the wave sags at the waterline I know he is making close to hull speed. That can be 8 1/2 knots. Now, to pass I have to be doing about 10 knots are maybe even 11. At that speed my 42' boat is throwing a good wake.

I try to be a courteous as possible, but I will not cruise at 8 knots all day. All it takes is a little cooperation. Most will to get the pass over quickly and smoothly.

I appreciate a warning. At least it let's us prepare...

If circumstances permit, that gives me the option to get up on plane and run before the wakester until I can maybe find a better place to be passed at speed... or given space, I can maybe even turn 180° and meet his wake head-on.

-Chris

Greetings.
Mr. ps. I fully agree a securite call can be made to advise other boaters of the hazardous wake particularity if maneuvering room is limited (narrow channel). "Securite, securite...All boaters...A white sport fish of approx. 50' is traveling northbound in excess of 20 knots in the area of Alligator Creek. Prepare for a wake of 4+ feet. Name of vessel is..."

If that's not an attempt to embarrass the other boater, I don't know what is.

If it makes you feel better, go for it, you won't be the first and you won't be the last. I'll bet you don't make a securite call for every stick you see floating in the water.

Call a spade a spade, don't try to fool anybody.

Greetings,
Mr. W. OK, you tell me was he being an asshat or was he BUI? Either way, how could he not be considered a hazard in a narrow channel given my securite call above?

Last edited:
Don't sweat it RTF...perfectly within reason. Even if only to embarrass, which it is not, even that is OK in my book. 12 Guage would be even better.

There is a little thing that I call the ICW dance. A dance takes partners. I will give the boat to be over taken, and usually say something like this. "Capt. if you will slow down, I will give you a good pass on your port." If he will slow a litlle, I can give him a good no wake pass.

There are some 40'+ boats that will not slow. When they are pushing a bow wave and the wave sags at the waterline I know he is making close to hull speed. That can be 8 1/2 knots. Now, to pass I have to be doing about 10 knots are maybe even 11. At that speed my 42' boat is throwing a good wake.

I try to be a courteous as possible, but I will not cruise at 8 knots all day. All it takes is a little cooperation. Most will to get the pass over quickly and smoothly.

Don, if they won't slow...pass at cruising speed...much better.

I never slow.... just tell them to bring it on.

The only problem then is the guys that really don't understand their wake will then ease past thinking they are doing me a favor then throttle up just beyond me.....well...then I wind up driving into the grand canyon of water.

That's why if faster power boats would just call from far enough astern they can read your name and arrange a pass...they may have the option of never slowing down and everyone is happy. Of course it makes it easier if boats would have clear, readable names aft and everyone could use their radios.

I think proliferating the myth of slow passes does everyone a disservice because so many are badly done. Not saying yours are Don or anyone reading...but so many are. Just take enough room that you can swing your stern to the wake and ride the couple waves till they pass. If you are in one of the really skinny areas of the ICW then sure a slow pass might be in everyones business...but I haven't done one in 4 round trips to Fl...so having to do one in a 40+/_ footer is pretty rare in my book.

Back
Top Bottom