Old 01-20-2016, 07:37 PM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Not like most of us ever use or even see it...

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:16 PM   #22
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilge53 View Post
WesK you missed my point. It is the ones who can and should be professional that lost the book. Nobody in their right mind would expect large commercial vessels to do anything different and we are required to give them right of way. There is always the law of gross vehicle (vessel) weight wins with the corollary it is not who is right it is who is left.
Nope, I understand your point. The problem is, whining and crying about wakes on an Internet forum will get you nowhere. You can't change other people's behavior. Besides, a very small percentage of boaters are reading your post.

Wakes from any source are a fact of life for boaters and if you can't deal with them, you need a new hobby.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:52 AM   #23
FF
Guru

Most boats take a wave on the bow easily.

Just swing wide and cross the wake close to 90 deg if you can.

Attempting to re educate the world to your desires if a fruitless task, adapt.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 02:48 PM   #24

City: Owings, Md
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mast View Post
You won't change their behavior, only your blood pressure.
Best advice I've heard this year. I should put that on the dash of my car to remind me.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 04:52 PM   #25

City: Panama City
Vessel Name: Irish Miss
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot Rum Runner Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Most boats take a wave on the bow easily.

Just swing wide and cross the wake close to 90 deg if you can.
That's what I do. It's a lot easier (and more economical) for you to do that than it is for me to throttle down from my 15 knot cruising speed every time I pass a boat. And that throttle down has to happen well in advance of our passing to give time for my wake to die down. So, in heavy traffic areas, if I was expected to slow down to idle speed every time I pass someone, I'd never get to cruising speed.

That said, I will throttle down to no-wake speed if I'm coming up on a small boat, or some docks, or someone anchored/fishing, or when someone is being towed, etc... Or if someone asks me on the radio (if I can hear it) or wave me down as we approach. Of course, if it's a very narrow waterway I'll slow down for safety's sake.

But a 30'+ boat should be able to handle my 2' - 3' wake.
MrJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:14 PM   #26
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
I got waked so many times on the ICW from FL to Tx I gave up getting mad. It's was starting to ruin my zen like boating bliss.

I cruise 7-7.5 knots so everyone but the sailboats seem to pass me. I can usually can turn into the wake at about 90 degrees like FF said. The only ones who really got me were the big sportfish or huge Sea Ray type cruisers who didn't slow down, caught me daydreaming and snuck up behind me. If I see them coming I can take evasive maneuvers, unless the channel is too narrow.
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:49 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I got waked so many times on the ICW from FL to Tx I gave up getting mad. It's was starting to ruin my zen like boating bliss.

I cruise 7-7.5 knots so everyone but the sailboats seem to pass me. I can usually can turn into the wake at about 90 degrees like FF said. The only ones who really got me were the big sportfish or huge Sea Ray type cruisers who didn't slow down, caught me daydreaming and snuck up behind me. If I see them coming I can take evasive maneuvers, unless the channel is too narrow.
I hate it when the lazy, stupid a holes don't call on the radio. I will let them zoom by but the heads up would be nice.

The worst slow, then speed up just ahead of you so you wind up driving right into the worst of it. Hard to imagine they are that clueless...but there are so many it is hard to get to excited.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:36 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
........... If I see them coming I can take evasive maneuvers, unless the channel is too narrow.
If I see them coming and not slowing down I will stay in the middle of the channel in the hopes of them slowing down. At worst, they will have to take the outside of the channel which then gives me more maneuvering room to deal with their wake.

Of course that doesn't work well with cargo ships or tankers..
Old 01-27-2016, 08:32 PM   #29
Scraping Paint

City: -
Mr. 53----- My wife and I boat in an entirely different environment than you do so we do not face the same problem in the same way as you and many others here do. However, dealing with big wakes is not an unknown here, particularly in the narrow passes and channels or approaching or departing harbors. We've had our 30,000 pound cruiser rocked pretty severely on a couple of occasions.

The comments from a lot of the other posters in this thread summarize the courses of action, or lack of them, quite well I think.

It's pretty much the same as driving I think. While one doesn't get their car and what's inside it tossed all over the place by passing cars, other drivers can be every bit as inconsiderate, careless, unaware, and flat out dangerous as the boaters you are encountering in your waters. Everyone reacts differently, from shrugging it off to road rage.

The comments people have made here are about all you can do: be aware of your surroundings, the boats coming at you from ahead and behind, have your own boat and its occupants prepared for a possible bouncing, and take whatever action you can to minimize the violence like altering your heading if possible to take the wakes more bow-on.

I thought the suggestion to get on the radio and issue a properly worded warning to other boats in the path of the offender was a good one, too.

But the bottom line is that there is really nothing one can do, at least not legally, to alter the character or behavior of others. So perhaps in this case the best offense is simply a good defense.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:00 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
...........I thought the suggestion to get on the radio and issue a properly worded warning to other boats in the path of the offender was a good one, too........
Making a random call on the VHF "warning" other boaters about someone making a big wake is nothing more than an attempt to "get back" at the offending boater by embarrassing him. It may make you feel better but it doesn't take back the wake. It's pretty juvenile and it's not proper use of the radio.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:51 PM   #31
Guru

Making a safety call to other boaters about a hazardous boater is cetainly a proper use of the radio...as long as it is done properly.

In fact it is done all the time by professionals that often aren't even polite about it. A hazard is a hazard whether a flirting log or a human log.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:09 PM   #32
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings.
Mr. ps. I fully agree a securite call can be made to advise other boaters of the hazardous wake particularity if maneuvering room is limited (narrow channel). "Securite, securite...All boaters...A white sport fish of approx. 50' is traveling northbound in excess of 20 knots in the area of Alligator Creek. Prepare for a wake of 4+ feet. Name of vessel is..."
Old 01-29-2016, 09:15 AM   #33
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
There is a little thing that I call the ICW dance. A dance takes partners. I will give the boat to be over taken, and usually say something like this. "Capt. if you will slow down, I will give you a good pass on your port." If he will slow a litlle, I can give him a good no wake pass.

There are some 40'+ boats that will not slow. When they are pushing a bow wave and the wave sags at the waterline I know he is making close to hull speed. That can be 8 1/2 knots. Now, to pass I have to be doing about 10 knots are maybe even 11. At that speed my 42' boat is throwing a good wake.

I try to be a courteous as possible, but I will not cruise at 8 knots all day. All it takes is a little cooperation. Most will to get the pass over quickly and smoothly.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:24 AM   #34
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
I appreciate a warning. At least it let's us prepare...

If circumstances permit, that gives me the option to get up on plane and run before the wakester until I can maybe find a better place to be passed at speed... or given space, I can maybe even turn 180 and meet his wake head-on.

-Chris
Old 01-29-2016, 02:56 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings.
Mr. ps. I fully agree a securite call can be made to advise other boaters of the hazardous wake particularity if maneuvering room is limited (narrow channel). "Securite, securite...All boaters...A white sport fish of approx. 50' is traveling northbound in excess of 20 knots in the area of Alligator Creek. Prepare for a wake of 4+ feet. Name of vessel is..."
If that's not an attempt to embarrass the other boater, I don't know what is.

If it makes you feel better, go for it, you won't be the first and you won't be the last. I'll bet you don't make a securite call for every stick you see floating in the water.

Call a spade a spade, don't try to fool anybody.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:14 PM   #36
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. W. OK, you tell me was he being an asshat or was he BUI? Either way, how could he not be considered a hazard in a narrow channel given my securite call above?
Old 01-29-2016, 10:27 PM   #37
Guru

Don't sweat it RTF...perfectly within reason. Even if only to embarrass, which it is not, even that is OK in my book. 12 Guage would be even better.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:38 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
There is a little thing that I call the ICW dance. A dance takes partners. I will give the boat to be over taken, and usually say something like this. "Capt. if you will slow down, I will give you a good pass on your port." If he will slow a litlle, I can give him a good no wake pass.

There are some 40'+ boats that will not slow. When they are pushing a bow wave and the wave sags at the waterline I know he is making close to hull speed. That can be 8 1/2 knots. Now, to pass I have to be doing about 10 knots are maybe even 11. At that speed my 42' boat is throwing a good wake.

I try to be a courteous as possible, but I will not cruise at 8 knots all day. All it takes is a little cooperation. Most will to get the pass over quickly and smoothly.
Don, if they won't slow...pass at cruising speed...much better.

I never slow.... just tell them to bring it on.

The only problem then is the guys that really don't understand their wake will then ease past thinking they are doing me a favor then throttle up just beyond me.....well...then I wind up driving into the grand canyon of water.

That's why if faster power boats would just call from far enough astern they can read your name and arrange a pass...they may have the option of never slowing down and everyone is happy. Of course it makes it easier if boats would have clear, readable names aft and everyone could use their radios.

I think proliferating the myth of slow passes does everyone a disservice because so many are badly done. Not saying yours are Don or anyone reading...but so many are. Just take enough room that you can swing your stern to the wake and ride the couple waves till they pass. If you are in one of the really skinny areas of the ICW then sure a slow pass might be in everyones business...but I haven't done one in 4 round trips to Fl...so having to do one in a 40+/_ footer is pretty rare in my book.