Verizon users in BC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goboatnow

Hello everyone,

Headed to Gulf Islands and Desolation Sound in September. Thoughts on cell coverage and the best way to handle roaming for Verizon users? I was on hold for eternity at Verizon so thought I would ask this group.

Thanks a bunch.

Hello everyone,

Headed to Gulf Islands and Desolation Sound in September. Thoughts on cell coverage and the best way to handle roaming for Verizon users? I was on hold for eternity at Verizon so thought I would ask this group.

Thanks a bunch.
Stick it out with customer service and get your plan switched to include Canada. Saves a bunch of money.

We just got back from a trip to Princess Louisa Inlet and back down through the Gulf Islands. Paid Verizon for a Canada voice package. Never found a cell signal in the ten days we were up there. Perhaps Verizon has towers in Victoria and Vancouver, but nothing I could find in more remote areas on the water. My friends with AT&T wireless had service almost all of the time.

We just got back from a trip to Princess Louisa Inlet and back down through the Gulf Islands. Paid Verizon for a Canada voice package. Never found a cell signal in the ten days we were up there. Perhaps Verizon has towers in Victoria and Vancouver, but nothing I could find in more remote areas on the water. My friends with AT&T wireless had service almost all of the time.

Thats very good to know - thanks.

You will not have an AT&T, Verizon, nor any other U.S. company's signals in Canada. You will get a Rogers, Telus or Bell signal (those are the only ones I've seen). You can contact Verizon or AT&T and get their Canada roaming package which greatly reduces the cost of making calls, but it doesn't make them free as they still go through the Canadian companies.

And, I have found cell service to be excellent there (except PLI). You can look at Rogers, Telus and Bell coverage maps for BC on their web sites. It's pretty impressive.

Last edited:
There are a few spots in desolation where BBX in the past (WIFI not cellular) had service. When I was there I had mapped one spot and when I got there, I think it was Refuge, it was not working very well. I had 15 minutes of work that was critical. Took me 3 hours, at first walking around with my laptop in shorts flip-flops holding it at weird angles to the antennae to get a signal and transfer a particular file. The later said they had issues with the equipment and fixed. I can't even find BBX online anymore, so assume they went the way of the dodo bird. Point is, while I don't use wifi much now that decent cell broadband has increased so well, if you go North and really need a connection, be prepared to seek it out.

Others have bought a cheap used mifi for canada and gotten a local prepaid service plan. A little more work and sometimes you need a canadian address of some sort (even to prepay???), but they made it work.

You can look at Rogers, Telus and Bell coverage maps for BC on their web sites. It's pretty impressive.

And somewhat optimistic...

Although there is a fairly new cell tower at Sarah Point which provides better coverage now.

We spend a lot of time in BC. For that reason we have Verizon's North American plan. Seems to work where every other Telus, Rogers Bell etc. cell phone works. Stop in at a Verizon store and they can sign you up for one month for about $30. We've some friends spending time in BC with us next month that have this same question.

Friends of mine just got back from the inside passage and this year they installed a Wilson cell phone booster. He said it was the best investment he has ever made....

Thoughts on cell coverage and the best way to handle roaming for Verizon users? .

We had Verizon North America plan in the past, giving free voice roaming in Canada using Telus's network, but expensive data. Not sure they even have that plan anymore; we ditched Verizon last year after some awful customer service issues. Now on T-Mobile, which gives us free uncapped (but slow) data in Canada on Rogers's network, with a reasonable per minute charge for voice calls. We find coverage is comparable around the Salish Sea.

Back
Top Bottom