Update on Costa Concordia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's cool. I guess civilian drones are here. And a new must-have Christmas present just got added to my list.

That's cool. I guess civilian drones are here. And a new must-have Christmas present just got added to my list.

Been here for a while. In the Brookstone catalog for the past year or so.

Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 RC Quadricopter at Brookstone

I'm waiting for them to be used to deliver pizzas. Some guys have been trying to get FAA clearance to deliver tacos already.

Civilian drones, 3D printers .... we're in for some interesting times!

Amazing thing is he still claims to be the scape goat. The company should bear the blame as well.
Last time I checked he was the Captain and all responsibility lies with him. Unless of course someone changed the rules and didn't tell me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

The captain should have received at least one year for each loss of life and 1/2 year for each injury.

I wonder if it sentence would have less if he stated "We made a mistake navigating, and I as Captain take full responsibility."

All that dodging, lying, deflecting, etc, did not seem do him much good.

His error in hitting the rocks is not much worse than those that caused other marine accidents.

If he acted honorably after the accident occurred, would this have even risen to a criminal offense? I guess in Italy, anything could happen.

They did do a pretty good job using still operable thrusters to get that thing on the beach.

I think most of the dead were drowned right away due to below deck flooding which happened fast at impact. I don't think many perished between then and beaching, so not many deaths due to capt being a coward after beaching.

They did do a pretty good job using still operable thrusters to get that thing on the beach.

Interesting. The analysis I read suggested that the flooding shut down all propulsion and steering pretty quickly. The track I saw showed it continuing along a slight arc on momentum, then being blown back to the island by the prevailing wind.

Admittedly, that was one source, and it was written before the final report. Did you see something official saying the ship still had steerage and propulsion for any significant time after hitting?

It would make some difference if the boat had been deliberately navigated to a grounding.

I don't recall where I saw the use of the thrusters described. I may look again tonight..

The PBS Nova special on raising the ship is worth watching.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom