Thomas Cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some folks purchase travel insurance , so the only thing they loose is he vacation.

Some folks purchase travel insurance , so the only thing they loose is he vacation.

Wifey B: Much of travelers insurance, the cheaper policies, do not cover the airline shutting down like this. :eek:

So we went to Wimbledon last year and purchased trip insurance. Plus some credit cards have coverage too. Hope these folks had coverage of some kind.

It sounded like a UK Airline (government run) would be scheduling flights to bring home those people whose trip originated in the UK. For the rest of them, I guess they're on their own.

Sad.

It sounded like a UK Airline (government run) would be scheduling flights to bring home those people whose trip originated in the UK. For the rest of them, I guess they're on their own.

Sad.

There are no UK government run airlines, so not sure where that is coming from.

First, Thomas Cook was not an airline. They flew as charters. Second the UK made mention of chartering planes to rescue the stranded travelers.

It can be difficult for the average person to distinguish between an airline and a charter service. Your money and safety are at higher risk when you travel with a charter service. This is not the first time I have seen a vacation packager go broke and leave people stranded. When I say higher risk, I am not saying it’s risky to fly a charter service nor am I saying airlines don’t go broke and strand people. I’m am saying the rules and options are different.

First, Thomas Cook was not an airline. They flew as charters. Second the UK made mention of chartering planes to rescue the stranded travelers.

It can be difficult for the average person to distinguish between an airline and a charter service. Your money and safety are at higher risk when you travel with a charter service. This is not the first time I have seen a vacation packager go broke and leave people stranded. When I say higher risk, I am not saying it’s risky to fly a charter service nor am I saying airlines don’t go broke and strand people. I’m am saying the rules and options are different.

Wifey B: Best case the passengers get taken back to the UK in a few days but meanwhile incur expenses wherever they are. They may or may not ever recover from the vacation package depending on what insurance they had. Some who used credit cards may be able to recover but to avoid chargebacks, vacation companies often make you pay more than 60 days in advance and closer to the date only take checks.

Other passengers may find themselves getting home on their own and at much higher costs. 3/4 of the people are not from the UK. There will be some to recover nothing.

A lot of people hurt including all the employees and if the company knew this was going to happen, why not have an orderly shut down in advance. :mad::mad::mad:

Sounds like Condor may not be far behind.

They used to sell travelers checks too. I had some long ago, all spent by now, luckily.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom