Things You Are Stingy On!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know dust from some (rare) exotic woods can cause some skin reaction but never heard about pine wood allergy.

L

He's allergic to wood - or work! :D

Wifey B: Very allergic to pine and cedar. Pine allergy was tough growing up in NC too where they are the prevailing tree. Pine that's been through processing and manufacturing process and coating into furniture is often ok, but raw and beautiful like yours, isn't. Also, no live Christmas tree of any variety. :)

As to wood working, clearly wouldn't be his thing to do. :ermm:

I know dust from some (rare) exotic woods can cause some skin reaction but never heard about pine wood allergy.

L

Wifey B: Actually quite common in NC where exposure is so high. Not a skin allergy but allergic rhinitis, as in congestion, sore throat and high fever very quickly and, unchecked, congestion goes to lungs and bronchitis and pneumonia. Fortunately, he learned to manage his allergies for the most part around the age of 20 after a visit to Duke and their allergy department rather than dealing with the local allergy quacks. Avoidance and, if exposed, high burst of antihistamine immediately. His worse allergies are pine, cedar, oil paint, cigarette smoke, perfume, and worse than anything else is orange. :)

L
Australian red cedar(nothing like a US/Canadian cedar,it resembles teak, rare now having been used extensively for furniture etc, meranti looks similar and a good substitute when restoring antiques) is a known allergen for sawmillers and woodworkers.

I've been thinking about another area I'm stingy with but just haven't remembered to post it when I'm here: Watches

I have a freebie subscription to BOATS magazine and barely skim it before I toss it in the trash. It is all about megayachts and other stuff waaaay above my reach. I get tired of reading about watches that are worth more than my boat.

I have several watches, most from many years ago, and that includes a Movado, a Seiko Chronograph, some GI issue watches including a 24 hour pocket watch. But the one I wear day in and day out is a Times. It has the numbers on the face rather than just dots or marks but the thing I like most about it is it has a Tritium dial that lights up when I push the winder stem in. Any time day or night I can find out what time it is and I like that.

GFC: Resident TF Cheapskate

Greetings,
Mr. GFC. ...and you're concerned about the time? Why?

200.webp

Greetings Mr. RTF. Force of habit. The only time I didn't pay attention to time was many years ago when we were cruising in the San Juan Islands. My wife made me take my watch off and leave it off the entire 2 week trip.

I'm glad she did, but it wouldn't work on the Columbia where we have to time our arrival at the locks to pass through.

Greetings,
Mr. GFC. Now think about this realistically. IF the only time you need your watch is timing lockages on the Columbia, take a look at your GPS. I'm pretty darn sure they have time displayed. Listen to your wife. Ditch the watch and get the tee-shirt.

3480bc-white-z1-t-what-do-we-want-time-travel.jpg

Last edited:
OK, fess up - how many of these do you have stashed? Think they'll ever offer a rebate on them?...

Attachments

• 20200207_162912.jpg
    20200207_162912.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 78
Back
Top Bottom