Thief Exclusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, and probably effective idea, but with a few other considerations....

Mace and pepper spray are illegal in some states, so that's worth checking.

Also, I don't know how it would apply, but a long time ago I remember my father telling me about a court case concerning booby trapping. Someone had rigged a trip wire and gun in response to repeated burglaries. The trap shot and killed someone and the guy was found guilty. Basically you can sit and wait and then defend your house, but you can't booby trap. I wonder how that applies to this product? It's not deadly force, so maybe it's not an issue.

I would be wary of any sort of "booby trap" setup as well. One problem, of course, is that you or a family member might set it off. Another is, a member of the marina staff might set it of while legitimately on your boat (emergency relocation because of a storm or fire, for instance).

And then, as mentioned above, there have been court cases where the intruder was injured or killed and the person who set the trap was found liable.

Best plan is to do what you can to keep your valuables safe, and then rely on insurance as a backup plan.

And then, as mentioned above, there have been court cases where the intruder was injured or killed and the person who set the trap was found liable.

Or just shoot 'em dead once you make eye contact. That appears to be completely legal. :eek:

By the next day I would have forgotten it was there and mace myself.
Steve W

Or just shoot 'em dead once you make eye contact. That appears to be completely legal. :eek:

The OP was talking about a device to be used on the boat when nobody is on board to protect it.

Yes, in some states it's perfectly legal to kill someone who you percieve as a threat to your safety. If it's a "me or him" situation, I'm OK with that, but in many cases, it is not. If you go looking for trouble, find it, and then kill someone, I don't think those laws should apply. Same for protecting property. I don't think it should be legal to kill someone just because they are trying to steal your car or PWC.

The OP was talking about a device to be used on the boat when nobody is on board to protect it.

Yes, in some states it's perfectly legal to kill someone who you percieve as a threat to your safety. If it's a "me or him" situation, I'm OK with that, but in many cases, it is not. If you go looking for trouble, find it, and then kill someone, I don't think those laws should apply. Same for protecting property. I don't think it should be legal to kill someone just because they are trying to steal your car or PWC.

The laws vary by state, and when we choose to live in a particular state, we agree to abide by that states laws.

Here in Alaska we have the right to protect lives or property. The generally accepted meaning of that is we can shoot someone that is stealing from us, because we are protecting our property.

We cannot, execute someone we have already aprehended stealing our property, but we can kill them to stop them from stealing our property.

I'm wondering how boobytrapping would pan out under our laws. I think it would be still illegal here as well.

Mace and Pepper Spray are definitely illegal in Canada but bear spray is legal. Might be hard to convince the authorities you were worried about bears breaking into your boat though.:lol:

Greetings,
B...b...but officer....
bear-in-boat.jpg

For those that are worried about the evil "booby trap" and the harm to innocents...did you read anything about the product such as this?

from the company's website...
The goal then is to make the bedroom secure without the high cost of armor. A traditional safe room must remain impenetrable for at least twenty minutes. That’s expensive. But, suppose that instead of making the walls and doors impregnable, we make the environment outside the room so nasty that the intruder has only seconds before he must give up and run away. In that case even a solid door will be more than enough. By placing an Intercepter Antiburglary Device in the front end of the bedroom hallway, you create the equivalent of an armored bedroom area. The Intercepter will protect the hallway with a cloud of OC pepper spray whenever an intruder tries to enter. You merely set the Intercepter, before you go to sleep, and lock the door. Then, switch it off in the morning when you get up.
My wife and I have been using an Intercepter in the bedroom hallway for over ten years and it has been very easy to use. The Intercepter has adjustable time delay and warning horn to alert forgetful owners to shut it off. With the Intercepter protecting us we sleep soundly knowing that the presence of this device shifts the odds of surviving a home invasion decisively in our favor.

You could set it up that a warning is given and then it sprays...giving innocents time to withdraw. All you have to do is set it up that the "theft" would take more than a few seconds.

Not an easy thing to do...deter and keep it permanently that way...but there are at least some steps you can take without endangering any "legal" persons life...

Thanks FF!!:thumb:

just got my answer from further reading...

The REPULSAR IV Anti Burglar Device is similar in design to the Repulsar I, but has a larger OC aerosol capacity and greater application flexibility. In simultaneous mode, the Repulsar IV is set to fire four 6 oz. cans of OC pepper spray at one time, effectively covers much more area than the Repulsar I. In sequential mode, the Repulsar IV fires one can and automatically resets to fire the next at the next intrusion, whether hours or months later. This unit is ideal for vacation homes and other isolated buildings.

Last edited:
I have had a "good samaritan" board my boat while anchored. There are ligitimate reasons to board an unoccupied boat and a boobytrap would be really bad in those situations.
I have an air horn with a trip wire that would make an intruder jump off just as quick as pepper spray and without legal problems.

And it usually is not.
The laws pertaining to "Justifiable Homicide" as in self defence or an intruder in your home are complex and vary from state to state. If one is going to have a firearm around it is best know what those laws are in the state you are in.
Steve W

And it usually is not.

And that's a good thing because as pissed off as I would be with someone stealing my stuff (and it has happened to me), I can't see taking a life to protect a $6K PWC.

Now I believe career criminals should be locked away for a long time, and I believe a judge and jury should be able to inpose a death penalty for murder and such, but I don't believe Joe PWC owner should be able to act as judge and jury with a shotgun.

For those that are worried about the evil "booby trap" and the harm to innocents...did you read anything about the product such as this?

from the company's website...
The goal then is to make the bedroom secure without the high cost of armor. A traditional safe room must remain impenetrable for at least twenty minutes. That’s expensive. But, suppose that instead of making the walls and doors impregnable, we make the environment outside the room so nasty that the intruder has only seconds before he must give up and run away. In that case even a solid door will be more than enough. By placing an Intercepter Antiburglary Device in the front end of the bedroom hallway, you create the equivalent of an armored bedroom area. The Intercepter will protect the hallway with a cloud of OC pepper spray whenever an intruder tries to enter. You merely set the Intercepter, before you go to sleep, and lock the door. Then, switch it off in the morning when you get up.
My wife and I have been using an Intercepter in the bedroom hallway for over ten years and it has been very easy to use. The Intercepter has adjustable time delay and warning horn to alert forgetful owners to shut it off. With the Intercepter protecting us we sleep soundly knowing that the presence of this device shifts the odds of surviving a home invasion decisively in our favor.

You could set it up that a warning is given and then it sprays...giving innocents time to withdraw. All you have to do is set it up that the "theft" would take more than a few seconds.

Not an easy thing to do...deter and keep it permanently that way...but there are at least some steps you can take without endangering any "legal" persons life...

Thanks FF!!:thumb:

just got my answer from further reading...

The REPULSAR IV Anti Burglar Device is similar in design to the Repulsar I, but has a larger OC aerosol capacity and greater application flexibility. In simultaneous mode, the Repulsar IV is set to fire four 6 oz. cans of OC pepper spray at one time, effectively covers much more area than the Repulsar I. In sequential mode, the Repulsar IV fires one can and automatically resets to fire the next at the next intrusion, whether hours or months later. This unit is ideal for vacation homes and other isolated buildings.

Speaking of reading, did you read the original post? Here's the first sentence:

Folks that worry about being robbed while absent might consider this device.

I think we're on topic here.

Good reason for liveaboards on a dock, I get a lot of calls wanting me to check something on someone's boat & glad there's no booby traps.

I just reread yours and my last posts ...UNVBELIEVABLE!!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

And for anyone else that can't read....

In sequential mode, the Repulsar IV fires one can and automatically resets to fire the next at the next intrusion, whether hours or months later. This unit is ideal for vacation homes and other isolated buildings.

Last edited:
Pepper spray and Mace are not usually viewed at LETHAL.

A booby trap with a 50cal belt fed Ma Deuce might be nice to visualize , but could cause problems.

A spray of mace in the face is hardly lethal.

Remember the 60's? See Greece on TV lately?

I feel sorry for the folks that can never defend them selves or their property because of worries about local laws.

Might be time to Vote with your Feet?

The life you save may be your own!

Last edited:
I just reread yours and my last posts ...UNVBELIEVABLE!!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

And for anyone else that can't read....

In sequential mode, the Repulsar IV fires one can and automatically resets to fire the next at the next intrusion, whether hours or months later. This unit is ideal for vacation homes and other isolated buildings.

You can't respond without throwing out an insult, can you!! :rolleyes:

It's a booby trap and using it, especially when you are not on board can easily get you into serious trouble with the law or with the courts..

BTW: I can read (and understand) at a very high level.

.....................:rofl::rofl::rofl:........................

Never have heard of booby traps having a warning alarm

.......................:rofl::rofl::rofl:........................

Plus...where in my post does it say to whom I am posting to???? Like this one too???

.....................:rofl::rofl::rofl:......................

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom