Guru

City: Sydney
Tesla shares

Any rubbings on the USA news or papers about Tesla's future
I have a small interest in them and just wondering whats going on

gaston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:58 PM   #2
Guru

Its electrifying. Beware the shock. Oil oil oil everywhere except were there is coal. And then there is the huge joint US Russian oil deal on hold due to sanctions which Mr. P. very much wants lifted.

eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:50 PM   #3

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Wall Street Journal had an article on many of the top Tesla brass leaving the fold.......long hours, the fast growth of the company taking its toll, etc. But maybe cheap oil is giving the electric cars heartburn.
Ken E. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:32 AM   #4
Guru

City: Duncan Cove, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Electric car's share of the market is less than 2% and falling.

Don't believe everything that you think.
Xsbank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:18 PM   #5
Guru

I am sure that we are all aware of the sea change occurring in our nation. Among other issues there is likely to be a major surge in raw capitalism and a probable loss of interest in green endeavors. Big Oil has positioned itself well in the new wave a big part of the swamp that will not be drained. Investments in Green may be at risk for the near term. There are many aspects of the new wave that are unpredictable including how the Govt. deals with Tesler. The peoples choice for cars may be more predictable. Provided abundant oil with little Govt. restrictions on fuel consumption big cars big motors SUVs and pickups what US auto industry knows how to build may prevail. The big question where will Tesler be if Govt. forsakes Green and encourages oil consumption?
Old 03-11-2017, 07:38 PM   #6
Guru

City: West Coast
After buying the car for my wife and being HIGHLY impressed, I bought some stock. The only thing a gas car has going for it over a Tesla is range. Everything else about a Tesla, including performance, ride, comfort, amenities, is as good as any car up to $200K. The big test will be the quality and capabilities of the $30,000 mode, and the timing of its release. The battery technology is now certainly viable, and with the acquisition of Solar City, and the big plant in Reno, that will only get better and cheaper. Whether the stock is worth its lofty price -- who knows.

And I was not motivated in my purchase decision by any desire to be green. The Tesla is just a great car.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:42 AM   #7
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Tooo bad if America is so short-sighted as to give up on a lot of these 'greener energy items' and research in them. That's another ticket to falling behind in an international sense, rather than being the stand-out world leader in new ideas/technologies.

Such a shame we have a bunch of money-hungry, short-sighted folks leading us around these days.
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:01 AM   #8
Guru

Do you really want to see all this new tech and investment thrown out the door while we bow down to big oil again??

all-solid-state lithium-ion battery news

Or perhaps we can get into ANOTHER war over oil/pretro energy products

...instead of aggressively pursuing alternative energies and energy storage capabilities.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:55 PM   #9
Guru

Green will come back I just don't know when. Teslers fate will hang on the price of Oil and the government's and population's attitude toward Green. There are some dark clouds(oil tinged) on the horizon and I would think selling Tesler stock short not such a bad idea. The company may not fold but if not it may not out preform. For those interested in good or great mileage the Hybrid route seems best to me but even there, does five thousand $ extra make sense for low mileage drivers? I think all electric vehicles need government support at this stage of their development and I am not very optimistic that this (so called) government is up for that it is probably too involved with enriching the Trump brand ego and Dynasty.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:35 PM   #10
Guru

I read an article that posited that if electric cars reached just 10% of the market it would crash the electrical grid. Think about how that power is generated. Careful what you wish for.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:03 PM   #11
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
I read an article that posited that if electric cars reached just 10% of the market it would crash the electrical grid. Think about how that power is generated. Careful what you wish for.
This is really not a valid argument. The grid is constantly being adapted to changing loads and if this 10% arrives, it will not arrive overnight. It will come on gradually and can be dealt with seamlessly.

And in some ways, elec cars could make life easier for grid management. Presently there is a big difference between daytime load and night time load. This requires utilities to daily start and stop large generators, and generators do not like this. Since most car charging will presumably occur overnight, this will tend to flatten the diurnal load curve, and that is a good thing.

Also, charging stations can be linked to the grid in a way to shed the charger load if system load gets too high. Good for the grid, not so good for someone that wakes up to an uncharged car!!

Similar to the issues that come with wind and solar inputs to the grid. These change the issues with power distribution, but all the issues can be worked with. In high solar areas, cheap daytime car charging. In wind areas, cheap car charging when wind is strong.

The grid is not a static entity. It adapts as needed. Slowly, indeed, but the changes are slow too.

I could see myself going with an electric car. Heck, folks around here are doing local trips on golf carts.

I could easily do 90% of my trips in an electric car that had a range of 100miles.

Not going to splurge for a Tesla. Not getting a golf cart. But something in between, could be appealing.

All comes down to batt tech, which is seeing incremental (slow) improvement. I think there are physical limits to storing electrons in a chemical medium, there may be a hard wall there somewhere. Or maybe there will be a step change in tech that will blow our minds. Who knows!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:35 PM   #12
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
After buying the car for my wife and being HIGHLY impressed, I bought some stock. The only thing a gas car has going for it over a Tesla is range. Everything else about a Tesla, including performance, ride, comfort, amenities, is as good as any car up to $200K. The big test will be the quality and capabilities of the $30,000 mode, and the timing of its release. The battery technology is now certainly viable, and with the acquisition of Solar City, and the big plant in Reno, that will only get better and cheaper. Whether the stock is worth its lofty price -- who knows.

And I was not motivated in my purchase decision by any desire to be green. The Tesla is just a great car.
I had the opportunity to ride in a Tesla once. A buddy drove me back to my boat after dinner. I was very impressed.

I don't have expensive tastes in cars but I do like petrol engines in the cars I have had. I like the power and the sound of the Ford V8 in my Explorer. The torque from the 6 cylinder in my 350Z is a kick. I also truly loved the high rpm performance of my twin turbo RX7 as it approached red-line.

I would trade then all for that Tesla however.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:37 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I had the opportunity to ride in a Tesla once. A buddy drove me back to my boat after dinner. I was very impressed.

I don't have expensive tastes in cars but I do like petrol engines in the cars I have had. I like the power and the sound of the Ford V8 in my Explorer. The torque from the 6 cylinder in my 350Z is a kick. I also truly loved the high rpm performance of my twin turbo RX7 as it approached red-line.

I would trade then all for that Tesla however.
But would you pay 98 grand for a Tesler?
Old 03-12-2017, 04:40 PM   #14
Guru

Old 03-12-2017, 04:47 PM   #15
Guru

The maps won't load but the numbers will. As an aside, a coal plant is one of the 10 largest plants in the US.

"The United States has 511 coal-fired power plants that generate 34% of the nation’s electricity. Coal produces the majority of energy in 14 states.

The United States has 1,740 natural gas power plants that generate 30% of the nation’s electricity. Natural gas is the most important source of power in 15 states."

How is my argument now? 64% of your power plants need to burn some pollutant.

As an exporter of coal and natural gas, I'm all in favour of building more power plants but I'm not sure how the Al Gores of your country will approve.

I like Tesla as the technology is interesting but it's premise is as flawed as getting everyone to use mercury-filled fluorescent bulbs instead of incandescent, there are unintended consequences to electric cars.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:05 PM   #16

City: London, ON
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 Original
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post

I could easily do 90% of my trips in an electric car that had a range of 100miles.

Not going to splurge for a Tesla. Not getting a golf cart. But something in between, could be appealing.
I've had a Nissan Leaf for 3+ years. Great car within range limitations. Very low maintenance and energy use. And they are affordable now as used vehicles. Take the plunge!
Jeff F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #17
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post

The latest Car and Driver had a detailed article on their 40,000 mile test of a 2015 model. Based on the problems and issues described and the lack of road trip range I'd not buy one.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:11 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
But would you pay 98 grand for a Tesler?
I think they have a big roll out now for a 35k car?
Old 03-12-2017, 10:13 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
I like Tesla as the technology is interesting but it's premise is as flawed as getting everyone to use mercury-filled fluorescent bulbs instead of incandescent, there are unintended consequences to electric cars.
How about the newer LED technology. I think that is saving a heck of a lot of energy, and will soon big expanded even more.

Aw but why look at new tech, when we have oil & coal
Old 03-12-2017, 10:33 PM   #20
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I think Mr. X raises a valid point wrt compact flourscent bulbs. Yes they did/do save energy BUT they should be but are not treated as toxic waste due, primarily, to their mercury content which ends up in the environment. Electric batteries are toxic from a waste perspective for the same reason but contaminants other than mercury. The batteries have to be recharged from what Mr. X notes as polluting electrical production facilities.
I was very happy to see LED replacement bulbs come on the market for a reasonable cost as I think they may be the best answer thus far. From what little I know, they are fairly friendly to the environment although... https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...bulb-concerns/
I think there will still be a demand for coal and oil, not necessarily for energy purposes but for manufacturing of other materials.