Tesla shares

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gaston

Guru
Any rubbings on the USA news or papers about Tesla's future :eek:
I have a small interest in them and just wondering whats going on

Its electrifying. Beware the shock. Oil oil oil everywhere except were there is coal. And then there is the huge joint US Russian oil deal on hold due to sanctions which Mr. P. very much wants lifted.

Wall Street Journal had an article on many of the top Tesla brass leaving the fold.......long hours, the fast growth of the company taking its toll, etc. But maybe cheap oil is giving the electric cars heartburn.

Electric car's share of the market is less than 2% and falling.

I am sure that we are all aware of the sea change occurring in our nation. Among other issues there is likely to be a major surge in raw capitalism and a probable loss of interest in green endeavors. Big Oil has positioned itself well in the new wave a big part of the swamp that will not be drained. Investments in Green may be at risk for the near term. There are many aspects of the new wave that are unpredictable including how the Govt. deals with Tesler. The peoples choice for cars may be more predictable. Provided abundant oil with little Govt. restrictions on fuel consumption big cars big motors SUVs and pickups what US auto industry knows how to build may prevail. The big question where will Tesler be if Govt. forsakes Green and encourages oil consumption?

After buying the car for my wife and being HIGHLY impressed, I bought some stock. The only thing a gas car has going for it over a Tesla is range. Everything else about a Tesla, including performance, ride, comfort, amenities, is as good as any car up to $200K. The big test will be the quality and capabilities of the $30,000 mode, and the timing of its release. The battery technology is now certainly viable, and with the acquisition of Solar City, and the big plant in Reno, that will only get better and cheaper. Whether the stock is worth its lofty price -- who knows.

And I was not motivated in my purchase decision by any desire to be green. The Tesla is just a great car.

Last edited:
Tooo bad if America is so short-sighted as to give up on a lot of these 'greener energy items' and research in them. That's another ticket to falling behind in an international sense, rather than being the stand-out world leader in new ideas/technologies.

Such a shame we have a bunch of money-hungry, short-sighted folks leading us around these days.

Green will come back I just don't know when. Teslers fate will hang on the price of Oil and the government's and population's attitude toward Green. There are some dark clouds(oil tinged) on the horizon and I would think selling Tesler stock short not such a bad idea. The company may not fold but if not it may not out preform. For those interested in good or great mileage the Hybrid route seems best to me but even there, does five thousand $ extra make sense for low mileage drivers? I think all electric vehicles need government support at this stage of their development and I am not very optimistic that this (so called) government is up for that it is probably too involved with enriching the Trump brand ego and Dynasty.

I read an article that posited that if electric cars reached just 10% of the market it would crash the electrical grid. Think about how that power is generated. Careful what you wish for.

I read an article that posited that if electric cars reached just 10% of the market it would crash the electrical grid. Think about how that power is generated. Careful what you wish for.

This is really not a valid argument. The grid is constantly being adapted to changing loads and if this 10% arrives, it will not arrive overnight. It will come on gradually and can be dealt with seamlessly.

And in some ways, elec cars could make life easier for grid management. Presently there is a big difference between daytime load and night time load. This requires utilities to daily start and stop large generators, and generators do not like this. Since most car charging will presumably occur overnight, this will tend to flatten the diurnal load curve, and that is a good thing.

Also, charging stations can be linked to the grid in a way to shed the charger load if system load gets too high. Good for the grid, not so good for someone that wakes up to an uncharged car!!

Similar to the issues that come with wind and solar inputs to the grid. These change the issues with power distribution, but all the issues can be worked with. In high solar areas, cheap daytime car charging. In wind areas, cheap car charging when wind is strong.

The grid is not a static entity. It adapts as needed. Slowly, indeed, but the changes are slow too.

I could see myself going with an electric car. Heck, folks around here are doing local trips on golf carts.

I could easily do 90% of my trips in an electric car that had a range of 100miles.

Not going to splurge for a Tesla. Not getting a golf cart. But something in between, could be appealing.

All comes down to batt tech, which is seeing incremental (slow) improvement. I think there are physical limits to storing electrons in a chemical medium, there may be a hard wall there somewhere. Or maybe there will be a step change in tech that will blow our minds. Who knows!!

After buying the car for my wife and being HIGHLY impressed, I bought some stock. The only thing a gas car has going for it over a Tesla is range. Everything else about a Tesla, including performance, ride, comfort, amenities, is as good as any car up to $200K. The big test will be the quality and capabilities of the $30,000 mode, and the timing of its release. The battery technology is now certainly viable, and with the acquisition of Solar City, and the big plant in Reno, that will only get better and cheaper. Whether the stock is worth its lofty price -- who knows.

And I was not motivated in my purchase decision by any desire to be green. The Tesla is just a great car.
I had the opportunity to ride in a Tesla once. A buddy drove me back to my boat after dinner. I was very impressed.

I don't have expensive tastes in cars but I do like petrol engines in the cars I have had. I like the power and the sound of the Ford V8 in my Explorer. The torque from the 6 cylinder in my 350Z is a kick. I also truly loved the high rpm performance of my twin turbo RX7 as it approached red-line.

I would trade then all for that Tesla however.

I had the opportunity to ride in a Tesla once. A buddy drove me back to my boat after dinner. I was very impressed.

I don't have expensive tastes in cars but I do like petrol engines in the cars I have had. I like the power and the sound of the Ford V8 in my Explorer. The torque from the 6 cylinder in my 350Z is a kick. I also truly loved the high rpm performance of my twin turbo RX7 as it approached red-line.

I would trade then all for that Tesla however.

But would you pay 98 grand for a Tesler?

Last edited:
The maps won't load but the numbers will. As an aside, a coal plant is one of the 10 largest plants in the US.

"The United States has 511 coal-fired power plants that generate 34% of the nation’s electricity. Coal produces the majority of energy in 14 states.

The United States has 1,740 natural gas power plants that generate 30% of the nation’s electricity. Natural gas is the most important source of power in 15 states."

How is my argument now? 64% of your power plants need to burn some pollutant.

As an exporter of coal and natural gas, I'm all in favour of building more power plants but I'm not sure how the Al Gores of your country will approve.

I like Tesla as the technology is interesting but it's premise is as flawed as getting everyone to use mercury-filled fluorescent bulbs instead of incandescent, there are unintended consequences to electric cars.

Last edited:
I could easily do 90% of my trips in an electric car that had a range of 100miles.

Not going to splurge for a Tesla. Not getting a golf cart. But something in between, could be appealing.

I've had a Nissan Leaf for 3+ years. Great car within range limitations. Very low maintenance and energy use. And they are affordable now as used vehicles. Take the plunge!

The latest Car and Driver had a detailed article on their 40,000 mile test of a 2015 model. Based on the problems and issues described and the lack of road trip range I'd not buy one.

I like Tesla as the technology is interesting but it's premise is as flawed as getting everyone to use mercury-filled fluorescent bulbs instead of incandescent, there are unintended consequences to electric cars.

How about the newer LED technology. I think that is saving a heck of a lot of energy, and will soon big expanded even more.

Aw but why look at new tech, when we have oil & coal :facepalm:

Greetings,
I think Mr. X raises a valid point wrt compact flourscent bulbs. Yes they did/do save energy BUT they should be but are not treated as toxic waste due, primarily, to their mercury content which ends up in the environment. Electric batteries are toxic from a waste perspective for the same reason but contaminants other than mercury. The batteries have to be recharged from what Mr. X notes as polluting electrical production facilities.
I was very happy to see LED replacement bulbs come on the market for a reasonable cost as I think they may be the best answer thus far. From what little I know, they are fairly friendly to the environment although... https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/led-lightbulb-concerns/
I think there will still be a demand for coal and oil, not necessarily for energy purposes but for manufacturing of other materials.

I think there will still be a demand for coal and oil, not necessarily for energy purposes but for manufacturing of other materials.
I often wondered what we would utilize to manufacture all of that HUGE variety of other goods (particularly plastics) if we continued to just burn up all of our oil and coal reserves as fuel??

Tesla are used as airport taxi/limos in Amsterdam. Fast, silent, luxurious,a nice ride, well suited to Netherlands.
South Australia state is politically wedded to renewables,and it seems, blackouts. They are now planning a new gas(not gasoline) fired plant to help with baseload electricity, and I hear are being courted by Tesla wanting to sell them battery capacity. Gas might be an issue, we seem to export it all, forgetting to keep some for ourselves, leading to predicted shortages and higher prices, yet we have more of it than about anyone.
Been watching the oil price, seems to be in freefall, something is going on.

"Don't look at Tesla as a vehicle play-,it's their overall tech and a genius behind them:"

You bet they do not make money on their high priced cars.

They make bucks from selling indulgences.

"Fuel hogs" need to pay homage to the EPA and are fined for making cars folks want,

Its cheaper to offset with purchased indulgences than pay fines , and so far this is all that is keeping Tesla afloat.

Should Triump roll back some of the EPA dreams of tiny death traps for the masses , Tesla will have problems.

"I often wondered what we would utilize to manufacture all of that HUGE variety of other goods (particularly plastics) if we continued to just burn up all of our oil and coal reserves as fuel??"

I thought the "peak oil hoax" was finally over?

In my small world, Tesla is a peace of light weight Junk! And it's not green. I've been passenger in Tesla taxis, and the drivers is complaining over, that they must stop and charge the car all the time, they are always cold inside during winter, because Sweden is cold, and the drivers have to save batteries. And I know that my old 1971 Impala with a restored 350 V8 is more environment friendly. Because it has been recycled and restored over and over, so I say invest your money in restoring your old car, and fill it with, what ever the pump gives you, and you are really saving the earth. And don't fall for the latest phone,computer,or stupid Tesla. I'm sorry if I sound critical, but I think cleaner fuel or alternative fuel, is cleaner, than lithium battery's made on the other side of the world with a large help from diesel dumpers, a,s,o.

In my small world, Tesla is a peace of light weight Junk! And it's not green.

I didn't buy one to be green, and I can see how it wouldn't be the best choice for a taxi-cab driver in Alaska (let alone Sweden), but it truly is an exceptional car.

I had a ride in one from Amsterdam city to the airport. The car was fast quiet smooth and luxurious, and was used as an upmarket "taxi". The driver said it would do 300km between charging, was very happy with it, and did not appear to be driving in a way to preserve battery. The Netherlands being quite flat it was being used in a very suitable area. I liked it.

Buy the car maybe, but be afraid of the stock imo.

Back
Top Bottom