Old 08-29-2018, 08:44 PM   #1
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Tariff affect on PNW boat building.

I ran across this article on the Kitsap Sun paper. It relates back to some of the other questions regarding potential affects of the tariffs on the boat building industry.

https://www.kitsapsun.com/story/news...es/1009383002/

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:44 PM   #2
Guru

That could pale into insignificance. Trump is threatening to leave the World Trade Organization. Trump is not keen on facilitating trade so it makes sense he would want to pull USA out of the WTO.

Does America get a say or can he so decide,and act accordingly?

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:06 AM   #3

City: Reedville, VA
Vessel Model: Beals Island lobster boat
I'm negotiating the purchase of an aluminum hulled boat now. Any day the negotiations could go south based on pricing changes so I appreciate you posting this article.
Bkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:02 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
It's a complex and unsettling situation in which ultimately the public is taxed and one or more governments get the money.

It's a full time job just to keep up with the tariff changes and what they impact. Our law firm provides bulletins and then we have one employee who goes through them all to see how we might be impacted, but then the situation changes. And even the threats have impact.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:34 AM   #5
Guru

Australia produces aluminum, so far it`s exempt from Trumped Up Tariffs. But there`s freight to consider.
If one threat is carried through, others create more uncertainty. Will he, won`t he? It destabilizes markets. And that`s either a product of intention, or game playing. It`s wrong,and right will out.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:20 AM   #6

City: SchoolHouse Branch
I am also often guilty of oversimplification but this is really offensive. It is about opportunity.

The US has fewer than half as many paychecks as people. Over half of those paychecks pay under $14/hr or so. So only about a quarter or a fifth of the people can afford basic necessities without subsidy. Of that quarter, many are government jobs which are not open to large segments of the population.

Globalists use the word "competition" as code for slave labor.

Metal produced with slave labor and no environmental protection is "dumped" at under production costs on the US market through intermediaries in our bordering countries like Mexico and Canada.

"Free Trade" is also code. There is nothing free about it.

Anti-exploitation measures
Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:35 AM   #7

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: No Plans
Vessel Model: 1965 TollyCraft Voyager
"Does America get a say or can he so decide,and act accordingly?"
America had a say during the presidential election. Trump ran on these ideas and was not bashful about it. No matter what one may think about such things, Americans had their say in 2016.
MVNoPlans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:42 AM   #8

Trump understands leverage and incentives. Tariffs will bring negotiations. Negotiations will bring opportunity.

There really is more to this country than government. Many government people seem to have forgotten this or just don't care, or worse.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:25 PM   #9
Guru

I understand your point, even though I donít necessarily agree with all your conclusions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat View Post
The US has fewer than half as many paychecks as people.
Likely true. My family (of two currently) only has 1 paycheck so we are only 50%. When my kids were home we still had 50%. My Mom doesnít get a paycheck so in her family of 1 she is 0%. I know a number of families of 5 who only have 1 paycheck so they are at 20%. So, while it is true it doesnít necessarily mean much.

Quote:
Over half of those paychecks pay under $14/hr or so. So only about a quarter or a fifth of the people can afford basic necessities without subsidy.
Also likely true. However, I live next to a large metro region that has made $15/hr the minimum wage and in a state that has increased its minimum wage to $11/hr in 2017, $11.50/hr this year, $12/hr in 2019, and $13.50/hr in 2020. After that the minimum wage is indexed to inflation. We fired one employee in 2017 because he wasnít worth $11/hr. In the two counties that I employ folks the unemployment rate is 4.4% and 4.8%. I have a really hard time finding anyone worth paying $11.50/hr. I only employ a dozen people. My point is that in my sample of one, increasing the minimum wage too much is costing jobs.

As for subsidy, I donít know. A lot of folkís get subsidies. I get a very large government subsidy through the mortgage interest deduction. I know it is silly but I still happily take that subsidy on my federal taxes each year.

This year I am getting a $15k subsidy due to the GOPs tax plan as a pass-through entity. Yeah, it is silly but I will happily take that subsidy on my taxes as well.

Every time I fill up my boat or car I am taking advantage of subsidized fuel prices as the taxes paid on the fuel donít come close to the cost of providing the road infrastructure necessary to support the burning of that fuel.

Of course we donít even need to mention the subsidies on certain agricultural products such as milk and corn.

So when you mention subsidies, which subsidies are you talking about? SSI and Medicare? Medicaid? Welfare? Parental leave? Or is the minimum wage itself an income redistribution subsidy?

Quote:
Of that quarter, many are government jobs which are not open to large segments of the population.
Not sure I understand this. I agree that public sector employment makes up a huge share of the labor force. While it is true that many military jobs have pretty strict age, sex, and physical requirements, there are only about 1.4 million total in the US military and a portion of those jobs are limited by sex. Total there are about 23 million public sector jobs in the US with only a tiny fraction of those limited based on age, sex, or physical ability. Seem to me that the government jobs are open to to most folks in the US.

Quote:
Globalists use the word "competition" as code for slave labor.
Not sure which definition of ďglobalistĒ you are using. If you mean ďA national geopolitical policy in which the entire world is regarded as the appropriate sphere for a state's influenceĒ then I think that when they say ďcompetitionĒ they actually mean competition. If, OTOH, you are using one of the many Trumpian and conspiracy theorist definitions of globalism, then it is all fiction anyway.

Quote:
Metal produced with slave labor and no environmental protection is "dumped" at under production costs on the US market through intermediaries in our bordering countries like Mexico and Canada.
Iíve mentioned before that the vaulted Canadian decency and politeness is really just a sinister plot and part of their ongoing attempt to destroy the US. That is why the president considers Canada a threat to US national security. Likely a joint plot on the part of Canada and Mexico. Canada is destroying our ability to make war by selling us steel and aluminum and Mexico is doing it by sending us murderer and rapists.

Seriously, I think that trade agreements should take into consideration basic human rights to avoid true slave labor.

Quote:
"Free Trade" is also code. There is nothing free about it.
I guess I canít decode the code. I think of free trade as being international trade that is market run without the interference of tariffs, quotas, or other artificial restrictions. I guess I think of it more along the lines of Burke than Smith.

Anyway, none of this relates to my original question of the effects of the new tariffs on the PNW boater building industry.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 09-07-2018, 12:32 PM   #10
Guru

City: London, ON
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 Original
Quote:
Tariffs will bring negotiations. Negotiations will bring opportunity.
That remains to be seen.
Jeff F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:08 PM   #11
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. dh. "I’ve mentioned before that the vaulted Canadian decency and politeness is really just a sinister plot and part of their ongoing attempt to destroy the US. That is why the president considers Canada a threat to US national security. Likely a joint plot on the part of Canada and Mexico. Canada is destroying our ability to make war by selling us steel and aluminum and Mexico is doing it by sending us murderer and rapists."

I hope this comment is tongue in cheek. Surely you can't be serious....
Old 09-07-2018, 01:44 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. dh. "Iíve mentioned before that the vaulted Canadian decency and politeness is really just a sinister plot and part of their ongoing attempt to destroy the US. That is why the president considers Canada a threat to US national security. Likely a joint plot on the part of Canada and Mexico. Canada is destroying our ability to make war by selling us steel and aluminum and Mexico is doing it by sending us murderer and rapists."

I hope this comment is tongue in cheek. Surely you can't be serious....

RT, Iím hurt that you have to ask. Yes, most definitely not serious.

At least Iím not serious. Iím afraid our president is.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 09-07-2018, 03:25 PM   #13

Here's a "free market" exercise: Start a company that legally makes Morphine and sells it through legitimate channels. Never get off the ground. Not because of the free market, but because of the "free market".

No quotas? Did you chuckle when you typed that? On what planet?

Unemployment? Why is it that when "they" say "unemployment" they aren't counting the people who don't have jobs? How many times have they changed the way they count? Why does the change always decrease the count? There six metrics or more. They always publicize the least meaningful one.

Funny that you quote the official media newsline and mention conspiracy theory also. TV news is almost nothing but conspiracy theory, 24/7.

News today is all conspiracy, all the time.

Men use thought only to justify their wrong doings, and employ speech only to conceal their thoughts.

Seriously. Metal made with slave labor in asia with no environmental controls, imported through Mexico and Canada to the US to get around the ban. Bingo, Tariffs until negotiations. I'm behind it.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:25 PM   #14
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I've owned several businesses. I always found paying high wages for high quality employees gives you a much better choice in employees. You draw good people from competitors and bring desired people into the area. I sold my last business about 25 years ago. I paid wages between $18 and $25. The $25 people could do twice as much as the $18 who could do much more than minimum wage people. When someone does twice the work with a piece of equipment, it's like having two operating pieces, but the second piece costs $7 in labor. When you do the math, it's like having a gold mine.
Additionally, good pay and your people value their job. You don't have turnover or new employee training, but your competitors do. I've seen too many businesses that are basically training employees for someone else. Because as soon as they have some experience they quit and go get a better paying job.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:53 PM   #15
Guru

City: London, ON
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 Original
Quote:
Here's a "free market" exercise: Start a company that legally makes Morphine and sells it through legitimate channels. Never get off the ground.
Purdue Pharma certainly got off the ground.
Jeff F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:21 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
....Funny that you quote the official media newsline and mention conspiracy theory also. TV news is almost nothing but conspiracy theory, 24/7....News today is all conspiracy, all the time....
A conspiracy theorist. Let`s wonder about the origins,ah yes, I know.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
Purdue Pharma certainly got off the ground.
Since 1892. Try it today. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, just saying I wouldn't be allowed to do it and almost nobody else would either.

Which brings us to what I call "success via legislation".

Law isn't supposed to be based on who you are. If you start with a person and search for a law to enforce against that person it is not a prosecution, it is persecution.

Too many laws and/or policies are based on who is involved. Often no action is taken until the question of who will benefit can be resolved. In our representative form of government, those who are supposedly represented are too often forgotten, ignored or oppressed.

Keep it up long enough and see what you get. Oh, I think you did.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
A conspiracy theorist. Let`s wonder about the origins,ah yes, I know.
They did away with the Fairness Doctrine and 72 or so other controls on propaganda, etc. Now the "news", and the like, is just entertainment and extortion.

Read up on how the owners of the Denver paper extorted a large sum from the sitting president over the Teapot Dome ordeal. 1920s, might be a little hard to find. The paper was bought to extort from the local businesses. Advertise or be smeared.

These days it cost a billion or so to be president, or be smeared.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:54 AM   #19
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Boat. I pretty well agree with your last 3 posts. The only exception is your comment regarding offshore steel being imported into the US through Canada and Mexico (post # 13). I could not find where Canada was asking for exemptions on foreign metals. ONLY on Canadian made metals. I see no problem with that request.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. Boat. I pretty well agree with your last 3 posts. The only exception is your comment regarding offshore steel being imported into the US through Canada and Mexico (post # 13). I could not find where Canada was asking for exemptions on foreign metals. ONLY on Canadian made metals. I see no problem with that request.
This makes it more complex but the principles remain. You have to consider the metal products as a pool. The profits from the Asian metal could subsidize the Canadian metal industry and undercut the US metal industry at the same time. It could easily become an unsustainable market. I think it did already.

Not sure separation could be enforced either.

The politics of recycling are part of this. The US approach has been to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Have you read about nuclear-free steel? This borders on the bizarre:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-background_steel