Old 03-30-2015, 01:58 PM   #21
Guru

City: Las Vegas/Portland
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Shrew,
I'm an old fart and not very IT smart. I prefer a phone conversation over a lengthy back and forth Text like my kids and Grandkids. Since I haven't actually PMed Twisted yet, my intent wasent to prevent a viable discussion within the context of this forum, but nearly help me understand the process verbally with someone who has done it.
I have often gone to the Genius Bar at the outlets and come away frustrated as a 20 something young buck has a difficult time explaining to this old fart how it's done.
A lot of very good suggestions from many members so far and many more to come I hope. After all that's what this forum is all about.
Sorry if it appeared that I was circumventing the thread as that wasent my intent, and your point is well taken.
John

Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:32 PM   #22

City: Leesburg, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
A program like that would run on a laptop (for example) with the display routed (as with HDMI) to a larger TV screen? A simple copy from DVD to hard drive gets all the necessary files, preserves all the necessary formatting, etc.? Some suggested player program names?
There are too many players to list. Search for "DVD Player Software". Some are free, some cost a reasonable amount of money. If you do Windows, Windows Media Player may be good enough.

You can play on or from a laptop or a tablet (if it has HDMI out) to a larger screen. A laptop may be better than a tablet because of more storage space available.

Some TVs now will play videos from USB sticks or SD cards. You could have a bunch of movies on a handful of memory devices (which would not take much space).

ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:05 PM   #23
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
There are too many players to list. Search for "DVD Player Software". Some are free, some cost a reasonable amount of money. If you do Windows, Windows Media Player may be good enough.

You can play on or from a laptop or a tablet (if it has HDMI out) to a larger screen. A laptop may be better than a tablet because of more storage space available.

Some TVs now will play videos from USB sticks or SD cards. You could have a bunch of movies on a handful of memory devices (which would not take much space).

Fair enough, I can search.

I've played DVDs on our laptop, displayed on the TV via HDMI out from the laptop... and that's straightforward... but that was a real DVD, not a copied DVD from something like an external 3TB hard drive or whatever.

I think there's maybe a Western Digital stand-alone hard drive that might be designed for stuff like this, but haven't really looked into it...

-Chris
Old 03-30-2015, 04:07 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Run the external hard drive through your laptop connected to the TV via the HDMI cable for the same result.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:16 PM   #25
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Run the external hard drive through your laptop connected to the TV via the HDMI cable for the same result.

Yep, sounds like it. Have to admit, I never tried to copy a DVD, after once looking at the file structure and not being able to make mush of it. I didn't bother to educate myself much about the various components, file types, etc... since the DVD folder/binder thing has worked so far.

-Chris
Old 03-30-2015, 04:22 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Be cautious about how you are going to play the movies on your TV. There are different formats for movies, e.g. wmv or avi. The first is Windows Media player. I don't know what the second one stands for. Anyway the Western Digital player I bought would play avi but not wmv. My LG DVD player will play wmv off a hard drive but not avi.

Suggestion get your player first and make copies after you have determined the correct format.

Having tried a number of ways of doing this I prefer my $65 LG DVD player with a 2 TB hard drive hooked up to it. I have a universal remote which runs the DVD player and the TV.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:47 PM   #27
Guru

City: Las Vegas/Portland
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Thanks everyone for the help.
I have a short term solution, my son will fill up a hard drive for me!!!!
Maybe he can show me how it's done. But if not...I'll get him a bigger hard drive and get more movies.
Thanks again, John
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:39 PM   #28
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boathooked View Post
I admit that I know very little about long term cruising/live aboard (thus why I am on here to learn) but is something that is 14.5 x 12.2 x 5.0 really that hard to find space for??

TekNmotion 320 Disc Case/Organizer, Black - Walmart.com
A friend had one of those and frankly I didn't like it. Any time he wanted a movie you had to flip through page after page (four DVDs per) to find what you were looking for. It disturbed my sense of organization.

I'm still in the dark ages with cases, sorted in alphabetical order. It's not the best and I would prefer the hard-drive option. At this point I don't have a TV though I do have a 12-volt (automobile) DVD player that works well.

Being able to store a plethora of movies sounds great however with the 100 or so movies I have, I tend to watch and re-watch them. There's enough variety.

And when I get tired of a movie I either resell it on Buy , Sell , Search Textbooks , Music , Movies & Games Online at Half.com or pass it along at a marina with a swap shelf.

Side note for the economical: Half charges $3 shipping for the first DVD (Amazon nicks you for $4) and if you buy from the same seller, additional movies are just $2 shipping per... something to consider anyway.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:03 PM   #29
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Based on this thread, i just bought the Audials Tunebite 12 Platinum for all of $33.

With my 5 cent only 2 TB external drive that is just collecting dust, I think I'm Good to Go (a sidebar, a great book by the way)

thanks all

Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote