Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #81
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
...only boating writers.
Oh, well now ... since I am officially a boating writer does that mean I should get mad at someone?

Now if the thread was about toy boat surveryors we could have a real schlammschlacht fest.

The older I get, the better I was.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:45 PM   #82
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
I think writers for media fall into the "Consultants" category, in their case influenced by the vendors who place the ads and pay the bills. "Influenced" leave a lot of latitude, and some walk the line better than others. But let's face, there are hands on the scales. That's the whole reason the vendors work with the publications - to influence readers.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:49 PM   #83

City: Collingwood ON
Quote:
should get mad at someone?
I'd suggest who you could get mad at, but I really will behave for a change...
Old 06-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #84
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post

Boy I sure hope it doesn't. But if it does I will be on the first bus outta here myself
As a Site Team Member, hopefully you can help ensure that. Part of the problem on Cruisers Forum was that the management team completely ignored complaints about the increasing ads, and instead took a "if you don't like it, leave" attitude, and started deleting posts that complained, including my "good bye" to everyone. So I left. It's too bad because CF was one of the best forums I've come across, and certainly one of the best boating forums, but I think management is systematically destroying it. Hopefully over here we can learn from their mistakes.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:53 PM   #85

Quote:
That's the whole reason the vendors work with the publications - to influence readers.
More honestly, vendors want to get word out about their product, and magazines are one way to do that. I've NEVER had a case of someone trying to influence me to slant a review - not a vendor, not an editor, no one - despite Jeff's constant claims that it happens, it just aint' so. And if one did, I'd either ignore him, or refuse to write the article.
I've had one product I wasn't impressed with (wasn't boating, btw) and we simply chose not to run the article. They weren't an advertiser either, so that didn't influence the decision.
Magazines, most of them anyhow, are far more honest than they are given credit for. Taken against websites, they're far more honest. Lose a website, you've lost what? A few pixels. Lose a magazine, and you could be out millions.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #86
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I think writers for media fall into the "Consultants" category, in their case influenced by the vendors who place the ads and pay the bills.
I'm not saying that both sides operate in a vacuum but the coziness isn't quite what a lot of people think and what you imply it is.

The magazine develops an editorial calendar that tells what topics are going to be featured in what issue for the upcoming year. That calendar goes to the writers and it goes to the advertisers.

After all, if you were selling propellers wouldn't you prefer to place your ad in an issue that focused on the latest developments in propeller manufacturing or materials?

The reason why articles and advertisers match so closely isn't the result of some devious plot to scam the readers, it is just good business for the advertisers. A writer had better contact the people involved in the industry segment he is writing about, they are the experts, but until the issue hits the street, in most cases he or she has no idea who the advertiser is. That connection is made by the advertising department as far as I know.

I don't sell advertising, I produce interesting and accurate technical copy that is based on verifiable facts, not opinion or editorial pressure. And in the end, that is what sells advertising ... editorial integrity.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #87

Quote:
And in the end, that is what sells advertising ... editorial integrity.
AMEN. I commend that statement to certain of the posters here, one in particular - and it applies online as well, hint hint...

Closed Thread