Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 09:00 PM   #21
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Holy crap, you mean what I read in magazines isn't completely unbiased? You mean those magazines only exist to promote a particular industry? I'm devastated.

But on a more serious note, I've had the fortune of spending a bunch of time with Steve over the past year and think he's one of the most knowledgable and smartest people I've come across in the marine industry.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:08 PM   #22

City: Benicia CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonyd View Post
I apologize for this question but I have had my head buried in text books for the last three years. What is OTDE? I will admit that I am not very forum savvy so please be a little kind. Thanks.
Trust me on this one - you don't want to go there! It's a particularly mean and nasty section, especially lately!

Old 06-05-2014, 09:18 PM   #23
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
I apologize for this question but I have had my head buried in text books for the last three years. What is OTDE? I will admit that I am not very forum savvy so please be a little kind. Thanks.
Off The Deep End
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Old 06-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #24
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
OTDE is an Airsoft shootout.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #25
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:

OTDE stands for Off The Deep End, and is a sub forum of the Off Topic Forum that you have to join to participate. It is a free for all type off topic forum where things such as politics can be discussed in an in your face manner. If easily offended, it is best to stay away from it.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Old 06-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #26
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I always thought that OTDE was a genital measuring device or a urine stream comparator.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #27
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Comanche View Post
Not that there's anything wrong with lawyers.
What the hell is wrong with you ?
Old 06-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #28
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
I always thought that OTDE was a genital measuring device or a urine stream comparator.
Well something like that. Most discussions turn into a pixxing match. However, yours is a little nicer way of saying it.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Old 06-05-2014, 10:28 PM   #29
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
I would like to see a boaters consumers union something better funded and more inclusive than practical Sailor which makes an attempt at a solution for sailors.
I sort of think that whole modality along with normal commercial magazines had their heyday in the 1990's and now it's over. Why look to "experts" who have a funding mechanism that allows large outlays of cash to print glossy paper? What's the point?

Especially in boating where so much of the writing is being done by people behind desks instead of behind helms - why look to them for expertise?

No, today, we're all the experts. You want unbiased truth? You'll find it in the thousands of blogs from real people out in real boats having experiences with products that they really use - not products given to them by a hopeful manufacturer. You want answers and advice? You'll find it in the forums like this one - although I'd like to see them a little kinder and gentler.

If Steve wants to create a paid blog, good for him. He probably has a following who still wants to hear what he has to say. But I'd much rather read the true findings of people out who are out here because, well, that's what matters. That's the way of the world in 2014 and there ain't no going back.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:34 PM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
You want unbiased truth?
There is no such thing as unbiased truth when you're talking about opinions. What blogs and forums and other sites give you is a balance of biases. We are all biased.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:53 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
There is no such thing as unbiased truth when you're talking about opinions. What blogs and forums and other sites give you is a balance of biases. We are all biased.
Study after study about this exact thing shows that getting a variety of experiences balances the individual biases and allows a more complete picture to form. While an individual review for an Amazon product might be totally meaningless, once you get to about 20 of them, a true picture emerges that provides value to the reader.

The problem with magazines is that it's a single opinion from a company in business to earn income. That's the recipe of leaving truth out of the picture before the article ever even gets written.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:57 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Study after study about this exact thing shows that getting a variety of experiences balances the individual biases and allows a more complete picture to form. While an individual review for an Amazon product might be totally meaningless, once you get to about 20 of them, a true picture emerges that provides value to the reader.

The problem with magazines is that it's a single opinion from a company in business to earn income. That's the recipe of leaving truth out of the picture before the article ever even gets written.
Yes, and you have a rather strong bias against magazines. Meanwhile I like them but I read reviews and articles anywhere with some degree of questioning. Just like movie critics and restaurant critics. I don't decide based on their reviews. But I do often pick up something of value.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:15 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Just like movie critics and restaurant critics. I don't decide based on their reviews.
Umm, movie and restaurant critics? You sure don't decide based on their reviews because they don't exist any longer. It's now Fandango, Netflix, TripAdvisor, UrbanSpoon, Yelp, etc. The general population is always a few years ahead of a vertical market like boating.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:19 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Umm, movie and restaurant critics? You sure don't decide based on their reviews because they don't exist any longer. It's now Fandango, Netflix, TripAdvisor, UrbanSpoon, Yelp, etc. The general population is always a few years ahead of a vertical market like boating.
They most certainly do still exist. Just because you and I don't pay attention to them. And books like Fodor's and Zagat too. NYC critic can still destroy a new Broadway show. I'm amazed at how many people still follow local restaurant critics.

Different strokes for different folks.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:18 AM   #35
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
So does SD plan on a site similar to boatdiesel, but more than engine specific stuff? If so, where do I sign up, provided he is as capable as Tony A for keeping the site focused and to the point.

Nigel will do a good job at PMM until he comments once too often on negatives of electric boats advertising in PMM.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #36
Scraping Paint

Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
"Seven years ago I resigned from my position as manager of a boat yard, and created a service for which there was no precedent." SD
That is hilarious. It also represents an example of how little he really knows about the industry.

Google the term "yacht engineering consultant" and you will find about 2.2 million entries.

Google the term "yacht engineering consultants" and find about 188,000

Google the term "yacht consultant" and find about 4 million

Google the term "Boating writers" and find another 4 million

The guy has more time changing toner cartridges than he does at sea or in an operating engine room ... or even a cold dead one. He is very good at convincing weekend boaters that he is an expert. There are thousands of professionals in the yachting and boating industry with legitimate certifications and the training and experience to back them up who quietly go about the business of serving boat owners and builders as owner's reps, build engineers, technical consultants. He did not invent the role. And yes, there are even hundreds if not thousands of boating writers who earn a living by doing what they write about instead of marketing an image to those who don't know any better.

It reads as if someone looked behind the curtain and saw there wasn't really much to see.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #37
Guru

There was a time the old Soviet Union claimed to have invented everything new. The whole concept of invention is one I find odd. Yes, perhaps Edison or Franklin. But in today's world when it comes to methods or concepts lots of people world wide have similar ideas at the same time. I feel like in my career I had a lot of good ideas. But I'm sure on all of them someone else somewhere else was having the same idea. The most unique thing I ever put in systems wise was unique to our industry but straight out of the airline industry. Just the idea that any of us are actually the first to introduce a concept is a bit strange to me. It's like the news media all claiming on the 11 o'clock news at the same time that they're the first to report and exclusive.

Really it's not about being first, it's about being the best you can be. Even then I'm not arrogant to think on anything that there are others throughout the world equally as capable as me and perhaps some more so.

Sure would have been a lot simpler just to say I've moved on and here is what I offer and hope you'll come see me.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #38
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
.... NYC critic can still destroy a new Broadway show. I'm amazed at how many people still follow local restaurant critics.

Different strokes for different folks.
Have you seen the crap on Broadway recently (last 15 years)?

Tourists are paying for the Broadway experience and will pay top dollar to see a a dog and pony show and the dog and pony do not even have to sing.

AC is right. Times have changed for better or for worse.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Old 06-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #39
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
EVERYONE'S an expert...
Old 06-06-2014, 01:10 PM   #40
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post

That is hilarious. It also represents an example of how little he really knows about the industry.

Google the term "yacht engineering consultant" and you will find about 2.2 million entries.

Google the term "yacht engineering consultants" and find about 188,000

Google the term "yacht consultant" and find about 4 million

Google the term "Boating writers" and find another 4 million

The guy has more time changing toner cartridges than he does at sea or in an operating engine room ... or even a cold dead one. He is very good at convincing weekend boaters that he is an expert. There are thousands of professionals in the yachting and boating industry with legitimate certifications and the training and experience to back them up who quietly go about the business of serving boat owners and builders as owner's reps, build engineers, technical consultants. He did not invent the role. And yes, there are even hundreds if not thousands of boating writers who earn a living by doing what they write about instead of marketing an image to those who don't know any better.

It reads as if someone looked behind the curtain and saw there wasn't really much to see.
Oh Rick, quit candy coating it and tell us what you really think...

I'd certainly consider Steve an expert in self promotion.

Closed Thread